The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the announcement came today:

Professional sports (including our top soccer league) can open right away (without spectators)

Opening after the weekend: malls/shops, churches and outside amateurs sports

Opening in 2 weeks: bars/restaurants/cafés, libraries and schools over grade 5

Though borders are still closed for tourists, and distancing-in-place (max 10 ppl in one public outside location, min. 6 ft distance in queues) + hand sanitazion orders are still enforced.
    Last edited by NorthernZel; 05-07-2020, 08:12 PM.
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• A handful of our counties were moved into the "yellow" phase, where some restrictions were eased slightly. Mine wasn't one of them, but then I figured it wouldn't be. They started with an area that had relatively few cases.

Just before that happened, it was announced that the counties still in the "red" phase would have the lockdown extended until 6/4. A lot of people were pissed, and I have to admit I'm even starting to lose patience.

The next set of counties was announced last Friday, to go yellow next Friday. Again, mine didn't make the cut. But it might not matter at this point. Two of the other counties in my area have decided to go yellow on their own, basically defying the order. And the sheriffs of a few of these counties, including one rural one that's surrounded by more populated ones, have issued statements saying they won't be enforcing the order.

This could get interesting.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• The part that ...'irritates' me is the whole, half-assed implementation after a delayed start. We could be done already instead of peeking out from cover now. Too many idjits who can't be bothered to take precautions or cancel their big parties... Nope, we is a FREE peoples and all that stupidity.

The adding of politics on what should be a pure medical decision...

Can I go home now?

Comment

• "Oh look! The fire isn't growing as fast!

Let's open the doors and windows and start sniffing gasoline."
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
            "Oh look! The fire isn't growing as fast! Let's open the doors and windows and start sniffing gasoline."
            It's a lot more complicated than that.

Getting rid of COVID is pretty much impossible. We've resigned ourselves to 80% or so of the population contracting the virus; possibly repeatedly. We were looking at hospitals being dangerously overwhelmed, which would kick the death rate higher. So we took on the tactic to "flatten the curve", reduce the number of people infected at the same time. We could do this by instituting quarantine measures.

Here's the problem: When you flatten the curve, you also make it *longer*. By a lot. At the current rate we're talking years. And the hospitals are well underutilized, and new therapies and more respirators are coming in every day. Also, a bad economy doesn't sound as bad as dying of suffocation, but dying of hunger is becoming an actual danger too.

So the best move is to loosen up quarantine measures some, but not entirely. It will mean more people infected, and more immediate deaths. But those are the "cold equations". Triaging the world.

Comment

• This thread is beginning to toe the Fratching line, for multiple reasons (not any one person). Please bring it on back from the brink, now.

We'd like this thing to keep going as long as it's still useful for everyone, so please just simmer down, or take it to Fratching if you do not feel you can readily do so
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• The Store has finally managed to get ahold of enough masks that they're requiring us to wear them now. I haven't been able to get one up to this point and I'm glad that I have a few now, since I'm worried that with my allergies, asthma, and chronic cough I wouldn't even recognize that I was sick if I caught the virus. I hate the way they make my face feel hot and I'm suddenly aware that I have bad breath, but I guess I'm just gonna have to double down on mouthwash and breathmints for the duration.

The Store is also changing its hours now that we've gotten past the "time to crack each others' heads open and feast on the goo inside" part of the pandemic, and we're going to be open 5 AM - midnight instead of 7 AM - 10 PM. Hopefully it should make closing the Store at night less stressful, since we're getting more late evening business now that the weather is nice, the sun is out later, and some of the state parks are open.

One of our competitors announced yesterday that after next week they'd be discontinuing the $2/hour hazard pay for their hourly employees. Today it came out in the news that 12 employees in their DC in the Next Town Over had tested positive at the same time. Not a good look for them, and hopefully they'll reconsider their stance on hazard pay, since the Store has basically been matching their hazard pay.

Comment

• Most stores around here are banning entry if you're not wearing a mask, and I actually saw a manager at my old store kick someone out for coming in with a mask then taking it off to yak on their phone. Meat purchases are being limited; we're considering signing up for a locally-sourced meat delivery service. We love giving my store's butcher counter the business but if delivery will be easier...the key for that is both room in our freezer and someone being home so the box doesn't sit out.

I just found out that D3 is now the team lead (ugh). I spread the word among my coworkers so O can't blindside us with the news when we come back...I think we know how to deal with D3 collectively, but my concern is the target that he and O already painted on my back (I have yet to receive a valid answer as to why they feel "lack of focus" is an issue after 3 years).
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 05-10-2020, 08:23 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Today I had to explain to my Mum that as I'm working from home, I don't have a 2hr commute anymore.

Comment

• Quoth scruff View Post
                      Today I had to explain to my Mum that as I'm working from home, I don't have a 2hr commute anymore.
                      You mean you don't start up GTA5 and drive for two hours to your virtual office before starting work?
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• We're on lockdown, working from home. Some of us have spotty internet and a VPN that keeps booting us off. The company isn't paying for my resources at home but they are on our butts about productivity. They count how many accounts we work per day and I'm .25 accounts under the goal at the moment and so Boss Lady felt it necessary to send an email about being on probation at the end of May if I don't hit it. I will, but it's a quarter of a point she can't overlook. I'm taking a day off here and there to regroup and apply for jobs. Threats are not necessary.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• So I've been off UI for two weeks now, and they suddenly come to me claiming an 'overpayment' for 3 weeks of base UI...this must be the fraud they were claiming a few weeks ago. That involved the "continuance pay" which they screwed up; I have nothing more to provide. They did send something stating that the continuance pay from my employer was not sufficient...so how is that my problem

I'm now "employed" (receiving a weekly check from my employer), so can submit a waiver...that's due by 8PM tonight. I did not receive any notifications from UI about this at all, only found this out when I logged in last night to doublecheck that my claim was finished. Their system is not designed to handle this situation, so I'll submit what I have...and re-contact the reporter who interviewed me about my last UI stupidity.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Shit!
                            What I was afraid of happening - finally did.
                            The last order I placed for ground beef for my restaurant was $2.89lb. Today the price is $4.19 a lb for one of the cases, and $4.40 for the others.

We're screwed!
                            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• We've got very little here in the way of "mandatory" -- no mandatory masks, for example. AND we are edging up to the first steps of reopening. We'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile I'm going online to find some really cool masks. But probably not the "facehugger" one ...
                              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• What's the first thing that opens in Wisconsin? The bars.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X