Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Need to vent about my current job
Old 07-04-2020, 04:59 PM
Parking Attendant

Default Need to vent about my current job

I currently work in the fuel center for the *major grocery store* chain I am employed by.

The hours of the fuel center are 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. 7 days a week.

I was told yesterday that no overtime is allowed.

For the past couple of weeks there were only 3 people working at the fuel center.

I either opened the fuel center or I closed the fuel center.

There are several duties for each shift that need to be done before clocking out.

So, according to the department head over the fuel center, when you are the closer, you need to start your closing duties at 9:30 p.m. and close the fuel center window at that time.

The closing duties are...
  1. Do the last money drop in the fuel center safe
  2. Count the bank
  3. Complete the audit report
  4. lock up the storage containers outside, the ice machine outside and the 2 coolers that store energy drinks outside
  5. complete the lotto report
  6. spray the fuel pumps
  7. cover the fuel pumps
  8. turn off the underground fuel tanks before clocking out at 10 p.m.

The department head feels that beginning at 9:30 p.m. customers should only pay at the pump. The problem with that is if and when the customers debit card or credit card is rejected at the pump, the customer cannot pay at the window since it is closed. The same goes for customers who pay with cash.

The fuel center also sells tobacco products, soft drinks, bottled water, and candy, but customers cannot buy any of this after 9:30 p.m. since the window will be closed.

Apparently my employer does not want the closer clocking out after 10 p.m.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:02 PM
Store Manager

Make sure you get that in writing for the inevitable complaints.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Parking Attendant

Quote:
Quoth Argus View Post
Make sure you get that in writing for the inevitable complaints.
The department head wrote on the hard copy fuel center work schedule for this coming week no overtime.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

You can't do all the closing duties with zero time. Either the fuel centre has to close before your hours finish, or you have to be scheduled to work beyond that time. I know, it's a crazy idea; I've worked in two gas stations and neither considered the idea of last minute customers, or even last-hour ones... Working at the railway station, I was amazed to learn that my scheduled hours actually included time between shutting the window to service and going home specifically so I could cash up uninterrupted!

Old 07-05-2020, 09:24 PM
Parking Attendant

Quote:
Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
You can't do all the closing duties with zero time. Either the fuel centre has to close before your hours finish, or you have to be scheduled to work beyond that time. I know, it's a crazy idea; I've worked in two gas stations and neither considered the idea of last minute customers, or even last-hour ones... Working at the railway station, I was amazed to learn that my scheduled hours actually included time between shutting the window to service and going home specifically so I could cash up uninterrupted!
Turns out I am not allowed to close the window before I clock out at 10 o.m. The only thing I can do is to not accept cash payments after 9:30 p.m. when I close

Old 07-06-2020, 12:12 AM
Tarot-carrying novelist.

How is this ever supposed to work?

Old 07-06-2020, 06:01 AM
Store Manager

Remember: This is 'Manager Fantasy Land', where Real World problems don't intrude, and EVERYTHING goes as planned in his pea-sized brain. Of COURSE you can get it all done on this schedule, without any OT, if you just organize better and follow his masterpiece of a schedule.

Okay, I'm tapped for wild fantasy indulgence for the night, and I'm out of sarcasm, so I'm off to sleep for now.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Parking Attendant

Now the department head is breathing down my neck regarding too much overtime.

Yesterday I worked 2 p.m. to 10 p.m., and when I got to work the opener had me go to guest care so I could break a $100.00 bill she received for payment so she could do her last money drop. There were smaller bills in the till, but not enough for the last money drop as well as enough for me to make change for my customers.

So I went to guest care and waited in line. The department head saw me waiting in line and asked me what I was doing. I explained to her exactly what I was doing.

She told me I could go to one of the self checkout clerks for that, but when I did, the self checkout clerk did not have enough money to break that bill.

So back to guest care I went.

The overtime is work related.

Exactly what does the department head expect us to do?

Old 07-06-2020, 06:11 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

At far too many places, this sort of thing implies "You need to clock out at 10PM, but you can't leave until all of your work is done." I.e., they "might" want you to work off the clock, which is illegal (at least in the US, and likely many other countries), even if you're willing to do so.
“Last night, you were unhinged. You were like some desperate, howling demon. You frightened me. Do it again.” - Morticia Addams

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 07-07-2020, 01:58 PM
Philosophical Tomato

Sometimes one of our managers tried to do that--not any of the good guys, this started with the jerks. On one paw they say NO OVERTIME EVER, on the other paw D3 tried to drop complicated projects on me when he knows it can't be done in the time allotted (and I'm allegedly the one with the 'focus' problem...)

Can you get a manager to put in writing all that "shall" be done and the time frame it needs to be done in? Not that you'd be able to get anything through their skull, but at least there's a hard copy of what they want done if you have to prove that you're trying to do it. Maybe jot down notes what was done when, any barriers, etc.