Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this, "Bring your germs to work week"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this, "Bring your germs to work week"?

This is more of a 'hearing' than a sighting. A fellow tenant who also works recently said she felt pretty crappy -- cough and sore throat (COVID test came back negative). She thinks it might be bronchitis or something. Her workplace told her she couldn't take any time off.

So ... just come in and spread the infection, I guess ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Sounds normal to me -- Especially in retail/service industry in general, doubly so in foodservice. Yes, I know, and I agree - That IS fucked up on many levels.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I remember being at a friend's year end banquet. Friend went up to receive an award for not using any sick days. While he was out of earshot, one of his colleagues commented that that's how illnesses get passed around the office, and that she wished they'd stop giving that particular award. And this was probably 30 years ago. Nope- I was single, so at least 35

Comment

Also kind of a sick (Ha!) way of encouraging employees to never use PTO.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Had a similar problem at my store earlier last week - one of my staff came in - he looked a little under the weather, but I wrote it off as him possibly not getting enough sleep the night before or some other issue... until he walked off the shop floor to the bathroom without warning. When he came back, he was looking a little pale.

Me: Were you just vomiting in the bathroom?
          CW: Yeah, sorry.
          Me: Sorry man, I'm gonna have to send you home. You know the rules - you can't work in food service when you may potentially have a contagious illness. Anything you handle could pass on whatever you have.
          CW: Can't I finish out my shift? We only have like 3 hours to go until close.
          Me: Again sorry - rules are rules. I'll get someone to cover, but then you have to go home and get some rest.

Thankfully one of the staff that had worked earlier in the afternoon was more than happy to come in and close out the shift with me and was there within maybe 10 minutes so my sick CW could clock out and go home. A good night's rest apparently did him well, as he was fit to work the next day (Looks like it was food poisoning.)
          Violets are blue,
          Roses are red,
          I bequeath to thee...
          A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Makes me wonder what would happen if this person actually called in sick ... I've called in sick a couple of times at my place. Always give them as much notice as possible to give them plenty of time to find a replacement, and there's never been an issue.

Hmmm ... we have a union ...
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
              Me: Were you just vomiting in the bathroom?
              CW: Yeah, sorry.
              Me: Sorry man, I'm gonna have to send you home. ...
              My company has the same "eject button" - if you say you're too sick to work, they might try to cajole you, but if you say you've been vomiting or have diarrhea you can't work.

BUT, if you use that, then we need a note from a doctor saying you're all clear before you can work again.

I can certainly see why someone who was that sick wouldn't want to admit it to their employer.

Comment

Working...
              X