Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was at my previous job we had a few mixes of crap.

One of THE worst songs we had to endure was "caravan of love". It was one of those very "hippy" type songs that had almost no music in the background.

They then changed to some semi-decent stuff, although we'd frequently hear "Disturbia" being played late at night.

On two occasions I can remember, when the store manager wasn't in and the produce manager was in charge, he'd plug his iPod into the system and play a work-safe playlist.

The last song on that list was "Thomas The Tank Engine".

First time we heard that we were in giggle fits across the registers

My training job (unpaid) doesn't play music given we're teaching kids how to swim and neither do my field placements, but at the latter, I have heard Peter Coombe SO many times....although there are some benefits to it. Most of his songs have distinct rhythms, some form of word play or display perfect examples of musical concepts:

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKuy9vubr0E (adds on each time)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJaNvl66XbA (distinct rhythm)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni-ybaCHbrs (this one's a great example of how to turn a joke into a song, but also the idea of "echo" or "call-and-response")
    Last edited by fireheart; 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

C-Store doesn't allow us to have music. It was a struggle to get them to even agree that weather radios would be permissible. No, we are to devote every single moment of our attention to the customer. Music would just be a distraction from our customer ass kissing service. Yes, saying that does make me roll my eyes so hard it hurts, thank you very much. I guess maybe I should be glad I'm not tortured by the same songs on repeat all the time though.
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post
        Where I work now--I cannot always hear the music. There's fans or something, right above my head in the area, so it's muffled.

But, every time I catch a song it seems to be Adele.

So, in my head, they only play her songs, over and over, in a loop.
        Same problem, except it's annoying kids repeatedly hitting the gong that we have displayed near the entrance. They always hit it so damn hard that you can hear it from at least 5 aisles away, and they do it more than once.

If you want to play with the gong, I don't care. But not more than twice at an ear shattering level.
        "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

Be thankful I am nowhere near you, because I would be hitting that gong.

The Hurting: Why did you do that, Irv?

Irv: Because (insert random insult or outrageous statement here).
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

i feel ya christmas music tends to get super overplayed esp by the time you're 18+ cause you've heard it so many years, every damn year, and so many times consecutively!! i'm happily lucky here as i can just pop on my earphones and jam to my google play music drowning out the outside lame redundancy that is the radio (if it's even on).

Comment

I have heard the same 12-14 tracks of the same Steps CD for four hours a day for the last two weeks (working five days a week). I didn't mind Steps before that, now I want to find the CD and throw it across the car park, find it again stomp on it, set it on fire, stomp on it again and then dance upon the remains until my feet hurt.
              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

So today we have what I consider atonal, screeching music (I'm sure it's something cool and contemporary but I dislike it intensely, whatever it is) playing at an annoying level in the store. Ask manager to please have it turned down ... or, preferably, off. She goes and turns it down. Over the course of the evening I'm pretty sure it crept back up. It seemed to be the music du jour of today's barista. Manager says he usually has better taste than that. Manager says we (meaning me and the other CSA) should mention it to him because "I don't really mind it."

Okay, here's the problem: it shouldn't matter whether you "mind it" or not. You were the one mentioning not so long ago what corporate's music requirements are, and atonal and/or screechy and/or pseudo-rap is definitely NOT on their "acceptable" list. It was supposed to be sort of "zen" relaxing music. If I leave this job before I leave this city, I am going to cite the music as the sole reason for my departure, because everything else is fine, IMO (or at least not nearly enough of a nuisance to make me want to leave).

So I'm going to demand equal time, dammit. I want to play stuff like THIS and THIS at top volume.

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                C-Store doesn't allow us to have music. It was a struggle to get them to even agree that weather radios would be permissible. No, we are to devote every single moment of our attention to the customer. Music would just be a distraction from our customer ass kissing service. Yes, saying that does make me roll my eyes so hard it hurts, thank you very much. I guess maybe I should be glad I'm not tortured by the same songs on repeat all the time though.
                Too bad your management hasn't figured out that there's quite a broad grey area between distracting noise and background music ... unless they are worried the employees are suddenly going to start singing along and/or dancing in the aisles ...

Comment

When we had a radio it was always Smooth Radio, which basically consisted of the DJ's playing the same 60's and 70's motown/easy listening songs in a different order each time.

We weren't allowed to have a radio so we would always have to hide it overnight so that our manager didn't spot it when she came into work in the morning, but whenever she wasn't in it was Smooth Radio all the bloody time, and I had to put up with it as I was outnumbered by everyone else. Fortunately though the manager started to cotton on that we had a radio so they got rid of it.

I felt like thanking her for saving me!

Comment

I wouldn't exactly say hate, but don't care for. We play a country station all the time! I wish at least that they'd mix things up but the station plays the same old thing. Gimme some Cash, man! But it's better than the pop that played before. Personally, I'd choose rock.

Comment

• Last night (as it seems every Sunday) was apparently a Phil Collins marathon. Now I admit there are a FEW of his songs I actually like, but even they get old by the 3,675th time. It also gets a bit harder to tell time by Muzak when it's mostly the same artist.

Either someone at the central office must have developed a sense of humor, or it is possible to hack in from the computer room. "Closing Time" has been on at five til, at a slightly louder volume than everything else (myself and K would prefer something like Gangnam Style or one of the night manager's playlists to clear out the store, but that would probably get people fired so...).
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth Bardmaiden View Post
                        I have heard the same 12-14 tracks of the same Steps CD for four hours a day for the last two weeks (working five days a week). I didn't mind Steps before that, now I want to find the CD and throw it across the car park, find it again stomp on it, set it on fire, stomp on it again and then dance upon the remains until my feet hurt.
                        Probably a good thing that I've only heard of them, as opposed to having heard any of their songs.

But on the other side, it would probably be good music to keep customers out after holiday hours. Play them along with 1D (aptly fitting!), Bieber, Miley, Selena Gomez (I DO NOT love you like a love song), whoever else and charge them $5 if they want you to shut the music off. They'd probably leave rather than pay that much!

I've discovered a few good songs out of our playlist, like Don't Stop by Foster the People. So catchy it's ridiculous!
                        Last edited by The Hurting; 03-05-2013, 02:54 AM.
                        "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

• Hate hate hate. To the point where I've been bringing an RCA cable to work in order to hook up my ipod and loop "in a gadda da vida" over and over.
                          If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

• The music my work plays is a varied pop mixture from the late 50s-90s. It's quite good. Sometimes I find myself singing to the music (so sue me, I like Santana!)

The only problem is the noise level in the store is sometimes a little too loud. Between the music volume, the overhead pages (calling guests by ticket number to the cutting counter) and the other background noise, it can be difficult to hear customers. It doesn't help that an awful lot of them can't seem to speak above a whisper.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                            X