This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally am working!

It's been a tough, long few months, but through all of the applications and interviews, one finally didn't end up as a rejection letter!

I'll be working at a school district again doing IT. This time though it's going to be on a larger scale, literally. This district is, to put it presidentially, yuge!

At my old job, the district was @ 1100 students, 70 staff, and 2 buildings. This district is over 15,000 students spread out over 20 buildings! At the interview with the Technology Director and his staff, it was mentioned that there's around 100 servers in use.

I believe that I'm ready for the challenge, despite the Superintendent at my old job believing otherwise. That will be my main drive, to prove him wrong. I just have to meet Tuesday with Human Resources to finalize my contract, and I'll start!

Conga rats!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Awesome! With 100 servers, I assume you'll be using some sort of automation... Whatever system they're using should be good to learn.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        ... some sort of automation...
        ... all data and configuration is transferred on 8" SD (240K) floppies ...
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I said at the interview that I liked to learn new technology, so I'm looking forward to this job, even more so now...

Turns out that it's more than I knew. I'll be working strictly with the servers, making sure all are running, updating and completing backups. It's an administrative position, meaning that I get benefits (more than my previous job), and vacation and sick days.

Plus, I'll be getting more than twice the pay than where I was working, which is good news; my car decided to run only on 3 of 4 cylinders this morning... I get introduced to the School Board on Monday, and my first day will be Tuesday. I can't wait!

Comment

Sounds like you should thank your former employer.

Congrats and good luck!
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

and best wishes!
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
              X