Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat > Bragging base

Closed Thread

Umm, I think I may be retired...
Old 01-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Default Umm, I think I may be retired...

So, I lost my job late last year. The typical Silicon Valley Shuffle, I think, where they lay off about 10-20% of their workforce to hire more later, or to acquire a company with its workers.

I was able to use that to pry a partial distribution of my grandmother's estate from my uncle. Turns out that, together with our savings and retirement accounts, is a pretty good amount. My wife tells me she likes having me around--and not constantly stressed-out from work.

So, pending further discussions with another financial adviser, we may actually be able to make this work! The prognosis after the first discussion that it seemed likely we could make it work, but the big unknown is insurance.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it....

Old 01-26-2020, 06:01 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

Keepin' my fingers crossed for ya ^_^
"If someone feels the need to tell you how intelligent (or honest, etc) they are, it means that, somewhere deep down inside, they know that their words and actions would never give anyone the impression that they ARE intelligent." - me
Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
"Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read" - me
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 01-26-2020, 07:38 PM
Pune Massacreeist

If you're getting retired...

Are you getting the wide white-sidewall ones?

Old 01-28-2020, 08:55 AM
Area Manager

Congratulations!

Maybe if you're worried about paying for insurance, look into getting a part-time job somewhere (not retail!) It'll also ease you in; some people really struggle with going from working full-time to being retired, and up until this point it sounds like you may have been expecting to go back to work.

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:03 AM

Yeah, the part-time job is something to keep in the back of my mind. Right now, we're getting platinum-plated COBRA from my wife's last employer, to the tune of an absurd amount of money per month. (But worth it, since we both have chronic health issues and are both a bit older.)

I've been trying to decipher "California Care" (my state's implementation of the ACA) without much success as yet. We have several months to figure that out, though.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:42 AM

So far, so good. Looks like we can get health-care for about double what we're paying for COBRA, though there may be some sort of subsidy we can get for it. Not sure, as those are generally intended for people who are unable to work, not those who have chosen not to. But at least worth a look.

Da Boss and I have been making travel plans. She was astonished (and surprised) that I researched and booked a trip to DC all on my own, without any prompting from her. I'm going back to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum, for the first time since I was a kid! I am looking forward to it.

I've been to a local aviation museum (the Hiller museum) again and enjoyed it. I plan on hitting a couple of auto museums in the area as well. And I've been walking again.

This not having a daily grind is very weird, but I could definitely grow to like it!

Of course, the bills are still coming in, and soon I'll have to dig into savings. Spending went up to some extent, what without a daily grind and all, but hopefully it will drop down again.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:47 PM
Loanshark IT

Not much left at the Air and Space museum on the mall. Most of it is now at Udvar Hazy museum.

You also need to hit the Air Force museum in Dayton.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:30 AM

I'm staying out by Dulles, as the primary intent is to hit the Udvar-Hazy. I don't think it existed the last time I went to the Air & Space museum...

I will go to the AF Museum at some point. I actually worked on restoring an airplane that is there now. It's a B-17, and my detailed highly technical task was to hand my grandfather a screw every time he held out his hand. He was screwing metal strips onto the fabric covering the control surface he was restoring...
Closed Thread