No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really relieved that I have supplies built up from the "little here, little there" approach over about the last six months. Left plenty on shelves for others each time, but now have needed items and won't have the frustration/anxiety I did back in March/April about whether I can lay hands on necessities.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
      I think I now know what panic attacks are. I felt like I was being burred alive.
      I normally do OK with a mask, even if it's not exactly comfortable. Once in awhile my claustrophobia kicks in, but thankfully that doesn't happen often, and the only time I have to wear it for an extended period is if I'm grocery shopping or volunteering with the cats.

However, I did have an incident last time I had to get work done on my car. I was surprised to see that the waiting room hadn't changed at all, other than requiring everyone to wear masks. The problem occurred when I sat down to wait on my car. I sometimes fall asleep when I'm waiting, and this time I woke up feeling like I was suffocating. I had to run outside and pull the mask down for a few minutes.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• I mostly have overheating issues with my mask, and yeah, the things are uncomfortable (my insurance company sent me a couple free ones that aren't so bad, so I found out who makes them (JPR Medical) and bought a couple multipacks of those). I tend to get too warm even when it's cold out, but that's about it. I just find a place away from other people and pull it away from my face for five or ten seconds. Sorry y'all have to deal with more serious issues, that sucks x.x
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth csquared View Post
          Highly unlikely, unless you licked your fingers afterwards,,,

Hoping you're clear and your husband has a quick & full recovery.
          Oh, we are almost positive it is because my husband's work is stupid... they are still doing daily "stand up" meetings where they aren't using appropriate distancing and they are incredibly lax about enforcing mask rules.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

• Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
            I figure it'll be Fallout 4 by Christmas.
            Maybe I should stop avoiding the Vault-Tec representative.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I got a phone call today from the bus company. They told me that the dial-a-lift driver who drove me home from work on Saturday night has tested positive.

So I've now been ordered to quarantine and get tested, and someone from the county is supposed to be calling me tomorrow to set me up with a testing site.

I feel the same as I usually do, but if I caught it on Saturday then I'd still be asymptomatic right now. My boss was very understanding and told me how to apply for extra sick pay (once I get some documentation from the county). Hopefully I'll be OK.

Comment

• I'm sorry. I'm hoping that you didn't get infected. That's possible. I've had contact with two infected people and I still didn't get sick. I'm not sure how.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• I discovered yesterday after a trip home on a rainy evening that a wet fabric mask chafes my face. Back to the face shield for a few days to let my face skin heal (might also help with the acne problem).

One bus driver I've seen frequently this week consistently does not wear any face covering, nor does he make use of the plexiglass barrier that's supposed to separate him from his passengers. This has been reported to the transit agency.
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Well, it finally happened. Someone at my job tested positive. They didn't say what area the person was in, but they did say that anyone who worked near them had already been notified previously, and if you hadn't, then they had no reason to believe you had come into contact with them.

I suppose I'd still be worried if I hadn't been working from home for the last (checks calendar) eight months. The only times I've been back the building were to use the fitness center, which I usually do late enough in the day that I see few people if any, and the one time I had to come in to get my laptop replaced.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post
                      I normally do OK with a mask, even if it's not exactly comfortable. Once in awhile my claustrophobia kicks in, but thankfully that doesn't happen often, and the only time I have to wear it for an extended period is if I'm grocery shopping or volunteering with the cats.

However, I did have an incident last time I had to get work done on my car. I was surprised to see that the waiting room hadn't changed at all, other than requiring everyone to wear masks. The problem occurred when I sat down to wait on my car. I sometimes fall asleep when I'm waiting, and this time I woke up feeling like I was suffocating. I had to run outside and pull the mask down for a few minutes.
                      At least you were considerate enough to run outside. I had an idiot come through my line the other day and pull her mask away from her face, complaining about it, after she had passed by the sneeze guard. Yeah, lady, if you don't like the mask, you're gonna LOVE the ventilator.

I had my own mask in place and I'm pretty sure that by now my bloodstream has a significant amount of disinfectant in it so I'm not worried. But I was more than a bit annoyed. You're checking out, lady, and you've got literally only a couple of minutes until you walk out the doors. Get a grip.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Pissed-off Coworker told me about a customer who returned what (I got the impression) was a cart-full of groceries because CW coughed a bit while ringing Customer up. Customer also said that CW said "Yeah, I was coughing like mad all last night" -- which CW has flatly denied saying.

Dear Idiot Customer: Everybody here coughs now and again. The air in the store is rather dry and we are constantly talking to people, even if it's the bare minimum ("Would you like bags today?" "Do you have your rewards card?") It takes its toll, even though we are allowed to have water at our stations and even though I personally have found that, with the masks, I don't feel dehydrated as quickly as I used to.

But it doesn't mean we've got Bubonic Plague. If you're that hyper, then use the damn online buying option and spray everything down with triple-strength disinfectant when it gets delivered (very VERY few customers wear gloves of any kind, so ya know, that means they are touching items that have likely been touched by dozens, nay hundreds, of people before them -- something that doesn't seem to occur to customers like this one.)
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Yup. I was coughing intermittently yesterday and got a few looks....dude, if my supervisor doesn't seem concerned than it's nothing. You're paranoid about me coughing once, but not paranoid enough to let me wipe everything down. Does my inner elbow touch your food? No. I'm masked anyway.

This is one of the reasons I dislike being on a register; the constant talking and most times it's so busy I can't turn away and lift my mask to drink something.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Starting tomorrow morning at 12:01am. my province is requiring anybody traveling from the rest of the Atlantic Bubble to self-isolate for 14 days. We've had a bit of an uptick in covid cases related to travel, and we're trying to avoid a full-on second wave. We already require a 14-day isolation period for people travelling from other parts of the country. Of course this decision further tanks the hotel industry in my province...all I can say is thank goodness I am eligible for the government financial assistance or I don't know what I'd do.

Comment

• Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                              Yup. I was coughing intermittently yesterday and got a few looks....dude, if my supervisor doesn't seem concerned than it's nothing. You're paranoid about me coughing once, but not paranoid enough to let me wipe everything down. Does my inner elbow touch your food? No. I'm masked anyway.

This is one of the reasons I dislike being on a register; the constant talking and most times it's so busy I can't turn away and lift my mask to drink something.
                              We are "required" to go to a supervisory-or-higher level person upon starting our shift and ensuring them that we feel well enough to work. Yeah, that disappeared pretty quickly (not that it was worth anything to begin with). My last three or four shifts, I completely forgot about it and nobody bothered to come ask me.

As for the masks, it's more than a bit ironic that you're not supposed to fiddle with your mask once it's in place ... but how else are we supposed to drink something at our stations? A modified water-boarding?
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Our governor has again closed all restaurants and bars for indoor dining. This being Minnesota in November, that means that outdoor dining is not an option. Effectively, it means delivery or carry-out only for Minnesota restaurants. Which is all I've been doing for months, anyway.

This week, our Branch Manager decided to re-close the lobby. A lot of our customers thought the lobby was closed, anyway, so we haven't had much grumbling.
                                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X