Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got an interview at Chapters-what should I know?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got an interview at Chapters-what should I know?

Alright, I just got a call-back from the local Chapters store for an interview on Thurdsay. I've never worked in a bookstore before (Actually, the only retail I've ever done prior to this has been EBGames), so I'm not quite sure what to expect, with both the interview and the possible job. So, those of you in the business of hocking books, what should I know? If there's anybody who's worked both in a game store and a book store, how similar is the job? Am I expected to have an opinion on any and every book in the store, or just on a specific section?
    (I'm applying for a cashier/general sales bitch position, BTW).
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Well, as a frequent book shopper at Chapters, I can tell you what would be nice for you to be able to do Though not really what to expect. I imagine it'll be similar to the game store in that people are going to want your opinion on the most random of things, but probably being able to learn one section really well would be your best spot, and know who to ask of your co-workers about sections outside your specialty. Also, learning not only the sections in general, but genres and the larger sub-genres. There's not much more annoying to me that to be in the mood to pick up a new cyberpunk book, without knowing if there *is* a new one (most authors don't advertise themselves as such), so asking someone, and getting less than a blank look, and then even after explaining and naming example authors, being told "I don't think we have any books like that." Ugh.

Also, maybe know the biggie authors in each section, and where they're located. Though you'll pick that up right quick if you ever have to stock shelves.

Good luck getting the job
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Acolyte View Post
      Got an interview at Chapters - what should I know?
      You should know that I hate you. Very much. I've been trying to get a part-time position at Chapters for about five years now.
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

There's two open in Windsor, if you're anywhere near here. And the Coles in Whitehorse is perpetually hiring. Keep hitting up the Chapters job site, that's how I found this job.

As for books, I've got a good handle on the sci-fi/fantasy section (ORLY?) and the comedy sections, and, to a lesser extent, computer sections. And I don't really look like the kind of person you'd expect to be well-learned in a lot of the sections I have no idea about.

Comment

So, I had my interview today. They were mainly looking for someone to join their maintenance teams-basically, the guys who get up early and keep the shelves stocked-that was up-to-date with and comfortable with dealing with business and computer books and, to a lesser extent, the sci/fi-fantasy-fiction.

Hey, guess what my majors and interests are!

By the sounds of it, I've got an excellent shot at the job. I was interviewed by an assistant manager of some sort, and a general manager of some sort, and the GM used the phrase 'you're coming in at a really good time' several times. They said they'd let me know by early next week either way, and possibly on the weekend. The one thing that may hurt me are my hours-the upkeep guys do 7-11 or 7-3 shifts, which I could only do Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But, that aside (And, if they come back asking about it, I'm going to put myself down for Tuesday-Thursday from open-10:30 so I can work before class.)

So, I think I've got a good shot. Woo!

Comment

Working...
          X