This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
    I'd say sit the doc down and say you're leaving unless you get a firm promise that your "probation" will be over in March, and that you'll be getting the promised raise
    Almost... forget the "over in March" part. If he wants you, probation is over NOW. Plus promised raise and increase in hours effective immediatly, or at least on the next schedule.

Comment

Candy store. It's a better job title, better pay, better respect...plus, if your old boss is hunting you up months after you've quit, chances are that he values your work much more than the doctor who doesn't stick to her promises. The doctor sounds like she's dicking you around. The candy store would be harder on your joints, yes, but maybe you negotiate with your ex-boss for some better health insurance.
      "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've worked retail and I've worked for a dentist and I've worked for a solo lawyer and most recently for large law firms.

Working for a solo professional is the worst. They expect you to be more dedicated to their business for a tenth of the pay than they are. You don't get respect, and you don't get raises, benefits, or the hope of anything better.

I'd go back to the candy store, but I'd work out an exit plan. Obviously, you can't keep doing this forever; your body is telling you that. What do you want to do with your life, besides pay your bills?

I make a very good income and excellent benefits, but I'm going to school part-time, online, to get my paralegal certificate. I should have that in under two years. After that, I'm planning to get my BA. It's a slow process, but I have to keep working (I've got two kids, so subsisting on grants and loans is too much stress for me).

So, don't look at either job as an end. Look at it as a step to the future. Can you do the candy store job for two years and go to school part-time? If you can do two years, then I'd go there.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

No job is work your health. If the candy store is going to be a strain on your joints, don't do it. If there is a way to do the job without that strain, then go for it.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Talk to the candy store person - there's no reason a stool or chair can't be placed at the register.

When there's the money, the flooring could be replaced with something easier on the joints; and in the meantime, you can get shoes that cushion your steps.

Talk to an occupational therapist, if you will be able to afford to with the candy store income. Or search on the web.

Identify which movements or situations at the candy store hurt your joints, and arrange with your candy store boss to modify those situations so that your body is under less stress doing them.

Go for a walk in a shop like lifestyle and rehab or independent living centres, talking with the staff about what tools and equipment they have to assist you in your chores at the candy store. There will be similar places near you.

You may well be able to have your ideal situation: the candy store, with no joint troubles.
            Last edited by Seshat; 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. Sorry I didn't respond before now (move knocked out my internet for a few days). The decision was made. I had a talk with the doctor and the result was me calling the candy store and telling them no.

Here's why: health insurance come October (candy would never have offered me that), bigger raise now, and a long heart-to-heart. Doctor made her position clear and I made mine, because I admit, I like my job. There will be no extension of the probation (which was for training purposes, in her words). My joints have been getting better with this job and I cannot afford to work where they are jeopardized.

And the reason for no stool or chair is because corporate said so, so no, they would've been in trouble.

Again, thanks so much for letting me avail upon you my worries. Most of you said candy but I wanted to give my boss the benefit of the doubt and I'm happy with the result. If it bites me in the ass later, I'll be calling my candy boss and seeing if he minds another peon.

Comment

Quoth adarhysenthe View Post
                And the reason for no stool or chair is because corporate said so, so no, they would've been in trouble.
                Corporate can get into trouble with that. A stool or chair at a register is a reasonable accomodation for a disability. Occupational Health and Safety, and your local disabilities rights organisations, would both be veeeeery interested to hear that.

However - I'm happy to hear that you've chosen something you're happy with.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                X