This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail, I'm coming back. Fear me.

Some of you remember this thread that I posted a couple weeks ago. I normally don't ever cuss, but shit hit the fan this morning at the doctor's office and I'm turning in my two week notice on Wednesday. Luckily for me, the candy store still had that position open and I snatched it up.

Here's what happened in a nutshell: new thread!

I feel terrible deserting the doctor like this, but after the mistake I'd just made and the reaming I got for it, I don't think I'm cut out for that kind of work anymore. Over the last few months I've had more mental health stress than ever and even my new and old roomies noticed my unhappiness. I thought I had the kinks worked out...but I didn't. I messed up big and was sent home early. I spent over an hour crying...and made up my mind.

Retail, I'm coming back. As an Assistant Manager. Fear me.
    Last edited by adarhysenthe; 03-04-2008, 03:42 AM.

Your personal happiness comes before anything else otherwise if it's put to the side you'll end up miserable. Back in December 2005,I was getting close to making my 1 year anniversary (which would've been February 2006) for XYZ call center, but for one the account I was on (this was a 3rd party call center) closed and two, when management was trying to give people the option to stay and go on another account or leave, I left because that place was a hellhole. I know that if I would've stayed I would've been very unhappy to say the least, so I commend you for your decision. Best of luck to you on your AM position at the candy store.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I replied to your other thread, but I just wanted to add that I think you're making the right decision. Your personal happiness comes before anything else. My self-confidence took a huge blow in the six months I worked for a dentist, and looking back, it really wasn't worth it. I wish I had quit at the first sign of trouble.

Good luck with your new Assistant Manager job!

Comment

Retail, I'm coming back. As an Assistant Manager. Fear me.
        Sorta similar to this thread, I envisioned you suddenly using a Sinistar soundboard along with that. "BEWARE, I LIVE. RUN! RUN! RRRROOOOOOOOOOAAAARRRRR!!!"
        You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

I totally would, too! Right now I'm deciding how to write my resignation letter from the doctor's office. She's having me write an essay showing what I did wrong and how to improve upon my terrible mistake. I have three options with that: write the essay and a resignation letter, write the essay ending with the resignation letter (I like the false sense of security this one could bring), or just skipping the essay altogether and turning in the resignation letter instead. The fourth idea would be to turn in the resignation letter when I come in Wednesday and only pick up my paycheck, never to return. All appeal to me in a way.

Comment

Quoth adarhysenthe View Post
            or just skipping the essay altogether and turning in the resignation letter instead. .
            Ding ding ding.

Last I checked you aren't a child who needs to write anything about what you did was wrong.

I might even mention that in the letter.

Comment

Quoth adarhysenthe View Post
              write the essay ending with the resignation letter (I like the false sense of security this one could bring)
              This one. This one, this one, THIS ONE!

And be sure to save it so we can enjoy it, too.
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Well, dear, you know what I think, but I live with you. And I am a bad example, known for acting on my vindictiveness.
                "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

For the essay, I would photocopy a turd. For the resignation, I'd say "See essay for details."
                  You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

If you really want to write an essay, sign up for a class at the local college.

WTF??? She's your boss, not your professor, teacher, mother!

Hand in your resignation letter. Simple, to the point.

Dear Dr. [psycho c**t from hell]:

I have received a job offer for a position that will be a better fit for me that does not involve writing essays, screaming explosions, unexplained extensions of probationary periods with continued lower pay, passive-aggressive game playing, and daily doses of psychotic power plays. My last day here in this hellhole you seem to consider a paradise; BTW, what happened to your last three assistants will be ______________, 2008.

Adarhysenthe
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I just emailed my boss the resignation letter without the essay. Here are two versions I wrote, starting with what I wanted to say and the second is what I actually said:

Dear Dr. ____,

I will not be working for you any longer as it has become quite clear to me that we are incompatible. Blowing up at me for such a small choice of phrasing and sending me home to write an essay like a child was not endearing. My mother never treated me that terribly and I’d like to point out that she did raise a responsible adult with me. I do not appreciate that treatment and a job that creates that level of mental stress and distress is not a job I’d like to stay with.
                      I am therefore not sorry to refrain from giving my two week notice and trotting merrily off to my new job where the boss was a good man and did not seem to be under this impression that because I had no experience in a business meant I was stupid and needed to be condescended to for me to understand. His expectations of me were also realistic and tiny choices of phrasing and additional information did not mean a world of difference. I like that world, its rules made sense. I am sorry that this will leave you with no help, but you are a strong person and are capable of much without someone as childish and foolish as I. Please put my money onto one check so I can come and hand in my key, get my money, and leave as quickly as possible to refrain from additional pains from either end. You cannot change my mind and I am glad that I was still under probation so that I could spare us a painful two weeks.
                      Also, I find it degrading and childish of you to expect me to write an essay like I am in grade school and pulled a prank. My intention was never to hurt your business nor make you look bad and at this point I tend to wonder if you’re not making things up to get mad at me about. Thank you for your time and work, but good bye.
                      Sincerely, Adarhysenthe

And the actual one sent:

Dear Dr. ___,

I regret the form this letter must take, but I am here and now tendering my resignation. Please treat my leaving early on Monday as my last day and to keep that hour I worked. I will pick up my paycheck and turn in my key as soon as possible. I cannot give a two week notice as I would like to because my new position requires my full and immediate attention. As I am still under probation, I am not required to give you any more than this notice, but I do apologize for the inconvenience I know this will cause you. I did enjoy my tenure with you in many ways, but I am forced to accept that I might have wasted both your time and mine in remaining as long as I did. Again, I apologize for this. Please take care.

Sincerely, Adarhysenthe

All is done. I am hoping to come in on Wednesday to turn in the key and pick up my paycheck.

Comment

Better than my resignation letter. Mine sounded like your first one!

"I was ill, but you accused me of lying even when I put two doctors notes in your face. X Manager threatened to fire me for being sick with an extremely contagious upper respiratory infection that could've spread to my eyes, like it did to my boyfriend. And woul you want that? No." Is an exceprt.

"I'm sorry it had to turn out this way, but I have immediate job opportunities available. Also, I don't think my sanity could tolerate working another dragged out shift with X manager who leads me around to every department and only allows half of everything to get done and suddenly it's my fault I can't do everything at once. I can't work on that environment"

I went on a tangent I tell you. It's refreshing.

Comment

Honestly, and this sounds terrible.. but I would rather strip than work in retail ever again after I'm done with my current job. Seriously. I can't stand retail. It is so draining and people are so demanding. I just don't think my personality is cut out for it. I've done okay in it, since I'm very sweet and meek and quiet, but I think I'm just at the end of my rope.
                          My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Heh, I'd never strip for any amount of money. I'd do it for free for my husband's eyes only.

My retail job is fairly low-key and I'm nowhere near meek and quiet. I missed it, that's how bad it was. Today was my first day back and my coworker about cried when she saw me (no one had told her I was back) because she'd missed me.

I went in to the office to turn in my key and pick up my paycheck...and that's all that happened. The most painless thing I've ever agonized over. I'm still in a bit of shock, though I don't know what I could have expected.

Comment

Working...
                            X