This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason to complain?

Hello everybody. I'd like to describe a situation and would appreciate some advice. I'm only 17 so I don't have much experience with jobs yet

I was hired at my workplace back in November '05. I was promised an evaluation after 6 months and a subsequent raise of up to $0.25 more an hour if I passed.

Fast forward to mid-January. My manager informed me that every worker that was making the hourly wage that I was (6.50, which happened to be the lowest amount that anybody was making in the store at the time), was receiving a $0.25 raise. This was a corporate decision made to decrease the turnover rate and to get people to apply for work. My company was going through a crisis where they had a lack of openers/closers, and therefore, the starting wage for new workers was increased as well.

So, fast forward to mid-May, I give my management team a friendly reminder that it's time for my 6-months. I hadn't heard anything and I waited until the beginning of July to mention it again. The GM told me he was going to send it to corporate immediately. It came back a couple of days ago. My raise was denied. Reason being because of the raise I received in January.

The managers know i'm one of the most reliable workers they have and therefore they're going to speak to the district manager to see if he can override corporate's decision.

I don't know where I stand on this. Half of me says "Well $0.25 is the most I can get out of a raise, and since I was given that raise 4 months prior to when I should have gotten it, I shouldn't complain." The other half says "A corporate decision to increase hourly wages shouldn't screw my chances of a raise after 6 months which was promised to me. The managers know i'm a good little peon and it's in their best interest to keep me around."

I hate to sound conceited. I don't deserve an "Employee of the Year" reward but I am sure as hell a better worker than most that keep their jobs for all of a week or two. I do my work, I've received corporate compliments, I'll answer to callouts on my days off, and I've even spent my own money on food there just so I can learn the price of each item including tax and have it memorized, incase a customer has a price question. I am crazy, but crazy to please my coworkers and customers.

I wouldn't be pursuing this as much as I am had I not known that a few of my other coworkers are making more money an hour than I am, simply because they were hired during the time of the crisis (I would understand if they are openers/closers, but they work the same mid-shifts that I do). My raise, if the decision by corporate is overrided by the DM, would allow my hourly wage to match those in question. These coworkers have only been there for a couple of weeks. I have been there for 8 months now.

Do I have legitimate reason to complain and pursue this, or should I just keep my mouth shut and wait for my next evaluation?

Thanks for any replies!
    Last edited by FastFoodFlunky; 07-14-2006, 08:19 AM.

Quoth FastFoodFlunky
    I wouldn't be pursuing this as much as I am had I not known that a few of my other coworkers are making more money an hour than I am, simply because they were hired during the time of the crisis (I would understand if they are openers/closers, but they work the same mid-shifts that I do).
    Complain !
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

Definitely bring it up to the DM! I'm in a very similar situation where the new hires make more than me, but don't bust their ass like I do. When my review comes up in a few days, I'll make sure to tell them how much I sweat and bleed for the store. I would hate to pull the "Home Depot is hiring for $2.00/hour more" card.
      Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth FastFoodFlunky
        I hate to sound conceited (...)
        Please, if I may...If there's one thing I've learned in retail (and I haven't been at it much longer than you; I'm 19), it's that you have to value yourself and tout your own strengths. Nobody else is going to do it for you.

I'm going to go ahead and make an assumption that you have plans to go to university or community college or some other sort of institution of higher education (trade school/business school, what-have-you). In that case, it's admirable that you've taken such responsibility at your job. Still, it's not necessary to go in every time someone calls out; doing this will carve out a niche for you as management's "go to guy" and they will call you EVERY time there is a problem. People who do the most work just get more work piled on them, so try to get comfortable with saying "no" even if you have nothing better to do that day.

As far as whether your complaint is legitimate, I'd say that it definitely warrents a nice sit-down chat with a manager or even your DM. Eight months is a long time in the world of part-time retail, especially for someone your age, and especially in fast food, which I understand has very high turnaround. Bring up the fact that new hires are getting paid more than you are, and feel free to point out how hard you work, but don't say "the newbies don't work as hard as I do" or something similar. Odds are, your manager already knows who's pulling their weight and who isn't, and saying "they aren't as good as I am" just makes you sound petulant (even if it's true).

Keep us posted!

Comment

Quoth Knightmare
          Definitely bring it up to the DM! I'm in a very similar situation where the new hires make more than me, but don't bust their ass like I do. When my review comes up in a few days, I'll make sure to tell them how much I sweat and bleed for the store. I would hate to pull the "Home Depot is hiring for $2.00/hour more" card.
          Home depot by me has two different starting pays depending on what they have you do. One option pays 10 bucks an hour and the other is 15. Why I don't work there is beyond me.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I would definately complain. I just got my review at work a couple of weeks ago I got a raise from that, and corporate decided to give everyone a 50 cent raise. I ended up getting both, and on the same paycheck, leading to a really nice surprise for me, because I didn't even know about the corporate raise before-hand.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth FastFoodFlunky
              Do I have legitimate reason to complain and pursue this, or should I just keep my mouth shut and wait for my next evaluation?

Thanks for any replies!
              You received compliments, you work days off... you sound like you are a valuable employee. Bring it up with your boss, but don't make a production of it. The best arguement I can come up with is "the extra raise was to increase employee retention, right?..."

If they don't give you a raise anyway (my expectation), start putting out applications. Use "seeking better pay" as reason for leaving... this will give you a chance to explain your position. ("Did not get scheduled raise" will raise warning flags that don't belong there to your prospective employers.)

And obviously, don't settle for any job that doesn't increase your pay or benifits. If you have the chance, ask employees of your prospective job what they think of their company and/or managers, and don't take anything that looks suckier than what you have, even if it pays better.

Comment

I'd complain. You don't want it to end up being 8 months to almost a year before you get your raise (happened to me at the gas station, was supposed to be 30 days, then it was raised to 60, then 90........then....oh...never...we'll just see when she notices!)

Say something. Don't threaten anything, but definetly say something.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I agree--say something. Keep it simple, direct, unemotional, and don't repeat yourself. And definitely start putting out applications. You sound like an employee any company would be glad to have, which means you're a rare breed! Be patient, be truthful, and be ready to grab opportunity when it comes your way.

Comment

Corporate doublespeak at its finest!

Hmmm, since the raise you first mentioned was one based on a performance evaluation, how exactly is it that the suits denied it (albeit at a later date than scheduled) because of a non-performance-related issue?

Welcome to the wonderful world of coporate America, FastFoodFlunky. I agree with all of the others - bring it up to management. And good luck.
                    Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth FastFoodFlunky
                      I was hired at my workplace back in November '05. I was promised an evaluation after 6 months and a subsequent raise of up to $0.25 more an hour if I passed.
                      Just look at this way. What does increasing the starting pay for new employees have anything to with YOUR wage increase?

It would be interesting to find out if employees that started after the base pay increase are going to get performance increases. Some of them should be coming up on their 6 month evals rather shortly.

Comment

Thank you all very much for your helpful replies.

The co-manager knows i'm on about this. She is a very busy woman but says she is going to talk to the DM tomorrow (although she said last week she was going to talk to him Monday..and then today...now it's tomorrow). We'll see what happens, and if a meeting can be scheduled.

I will indeed keep you all posted.

Comment

Even if she's a busy woman, if she keeps forgetting, keep reminding her! Don't nag or whine or be childish about it, but definetly keep reminding her. Some people honestly are really busy, and some procrastinate. I'm not accusing her of procrastinating, I'm just saying that you need to make sure that a meeting gets set up as soon as possible! If you want your raise, keep reminding her!
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                          X