This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $4309.64 + $251.25

you may be wondering what those 2 numbers are... those 2 numbers are why I am guaranteed pay even in the slow season... the first number is how much I charged last night in no show charges and cancel charges (gotta love prepaid reservations ) and the second number is how much I got by walking guests into the no show rooms.

... should I be feeling evil about this?
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    ... should I be feeling evil about this?
    Absolutely not! (Unless you want to feel evil about it?)

I can't imagine what hotel rooms would cost if they had to eat the full rate on no-shows. Out of my price range I'm sure. That number's pretty big though - is that more than one property?

Comment

that's just the one property... for that no show though the number is so large because 2 of the 4 rooms that didn't show booked on a 3rd party site rate which has the full stay charged for no show rather than just one night... and both of them were for an entire month...

Comment

WOW! Smiley, you're wonderful. I never get to charge no shows (I'm generally the morning or evening swing shift).

I'm constantly amazed how many prepaid reservations never show up.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

If it was charged for the whole month, then they could still show up and claim the room, right?

I wonder if the laws vary state by state. I used to work weekend night audit at a small hotel (something like 40 rooms) and people were seldom charged if they no-showed. Not sure how that worked with sites like Expedia (since they DO charge). Matter of fact, on nights we were "almost" sold out, I was instructed to put the remaining rooms into "unsellable" mode, so that the hotel appeared sold out. We never oversold our hotel, and thus never walked anyone, the system simply wouldn't allow us to reserve more rooms than we had available. So if someone no-showed, we were out that money. When we charged for the cancelled reservation, we needed to show that our hotel was sold out and we couldn've sold the room otherwise. Otherwise the non-customer could contest the charges.

From the stories I hear on the board (such as overselling, charging for no-shows even if oversold, etc), I can see why our little hotel wasn't making money. I wonder if it's a state thing or (more likely) shoddy business practices. The things you learn from others
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

bainsidhe, I think it is a business policy at your hotel... because I know with us we can charge cancel and no show fees because we inform people when they make the reservation that they are entering into a contract and they will be bound by it... I know some people have contested no show charges and failed because they had booked on our website and all our manager had to do was point out to the credit card company that it plainly states what the deadline to cancel is and what the penalty is for not cancelling by that deadline and the little check box that says I agree to the terms that the person has to click before they book... then the credit card company polite tells the card holder to go to hell for getting them involved in it.

Comment

We do not give refunds, unless we charge their card after they moved out - and we forgot to take them off the auto bill. So if someone prepays for however long and decides to leave after so long. Then they are out of the money. It is all there in the contract. We had one couple that took us to BBB. BBB just sent a letter and asked us about it. We showed them the contract.
              Under The Moon Paranormal Research
              San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Yesterday I topped myself... not only did I sell a no show... I resold a room (a flight attendant had checked in at 11am, early check in... checked out at 9pm... had someone desperate for a room, didn't care if it had been cleaned or not as long as it's bathroom was restocked... and he was even will to pay full price... sweet).

Comment

Working...
                X