This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm scared to go to work tomorrow

We've had two armed robberies right in the heart of one of my delivery areas. They're focused along a wooded trail there, and as of yet they haven't caught the two guys. Meaning at 3am tomorrow, I'm going to be delivering newspapers right around their ground zero. Also, I live just a couple blocks away, so that isn't comforting as well.

I've already had to encounter one shooting on this paper route so far (thankfully, the bullets weren't aimed my way). I'd prefer not to add to that particular list of experiences.

I'm so freaked out about doing the route tomorrow...I'm grabbing the kukri before I leave, and Hub's kodachi for good measure as well (a full-length katana I think would be too much overkill, you think? 'Cause we have one of those as well. I could pack one of those too).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Sorry you have to work in that environment. While carrying a weapon might make you feel better, it'll also escalate the situation if they do try to rob you. If one of them is carrying a gun, a knife/short sword won't do anything to protect you, and even if they're doing robberies with knives, two on one isn't a good situation either.

I hope you stay safe, but I would think twice about carrying a weapon. Sucky as it would be, handing over what they want calmly and not antagonizing them is probably safer.

Comment

I second Hanzoku's remarks. Knives and swords can't beat bullets, and if these guys feel threatened, they're as likely to shoot as they are to run away.

Are you union, or is there a bargaining agreement that governs the work rules for both union & non-union employees? If there is, you might be able to refuse to deliver in that area because of unsafe working conditions.

If that is not the case, then is there any other way to get the papers where they have to go without going down that trail?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I opted just for a small pocket knife. I think Hubs had his hunting knife, but he stays in the car.

There's no way to avoid the trail area. There are apartments all around the woods there, and I have subscribers in those apartments, so while I don't actually walk down the trail, I have to drive all around it (and the attacks all happened around the trail, with the robbers using the trail to run away).

Fortunately, I saw a total of three cars this morning. Surprisingly, there wasn't a police car in sight. I'm hoping the guys are lying low after the media storm they kicked up. We're still not supposed to walk on the trails here.

There's not much crime here, but when it happens, this is the second-worst neighborhood in town. There was a fatal shooting right before I started the route, there was a non-fatal shooting while I was actually on the route, and now there are two guys on the loose in the immediate vicinity of my route and home. I can't wait until I can afford to quit the route and move to a nicer neighborhood.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

When you're working, carry a stripped-down wallet with ONLY what you absolutely MUST have, and a small amount of money. (not empty of money - that will just annoy a thief.) Record any cards, ID, etc that you include.

If they do get you, give them the wallet. As soon as they let you go, get to a police station and make a report - and wait there until the adrenalin wears off. Then call the card issuers etc and order replacements/get the stolen cards cancelled.

The experience will suck, but that's all I can think of to get out of there with minimal risk and minimal loss.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            When you're working, carry a stripped-down wallet with ONLY what you absolutely MUST have, and a small amount of money. (not empty of money - that will just annoy a thief.) Record any cards, ID, etc that you include.

If they do get you, give them the wallet. As soon as they let you go, get to a police station and make a report - and wait there until the adrenalin wears off. Then call the card issuers etc and order replacements/get the stolen cards cancelled.

The experience will suck, but that's all I can think of to get out of there with minimal risk and minimal loss.
            Actually, I've just been carrying my driver's license in my pocket. I've been leaving my purse and wallet at home. I mean, there's nothing except the gas stations open at that hour in that part of town, so unless I'm filling up all I need is my ID.

The plus side to all this is, people are leaving porch lights and stuff on, so I can actually see where I'm delivering my newspapers, and I can find new customer easily. It's a refreshing change from the norm.

Comment

Working...
            X