This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
    Black Lotus cards. A very valuable card at that time.
    Still valuable. Around $2000.

I've also played Jyhad Vampire: the Masquerade, in which I was the sneaky charming type.
    I loved Jyhad. I liked sneaky, political type decks. I was annoyed when they turned it into Vampire: the whatever.

Oh, and then, of course, there's XXXenophile.
    That had some of the best cards. My favourite was Helena Handbasket. Never really played it though.

Played a lot of Star Trek TNG, Battletech, Xena, James Bond and more in my time. Was big on collecting too. It is addictive and expensive. Haven't bought a card in years.

I do just need one card to complete my Star Trek collection though...
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Waaay back when Pokemon cards were new, I used to play. I had 2 decks, a normal/water deck called Master Blaster and an electric/fighting deck called Shock Troops. I actually did fairly well in the little tourneys we had a different shows.

I actually paid for my college tuition and books by selling pokemon cards, dbz action figures and beanie babies. And now you know how old I am, lol.

Edit: I also still have my pokemon and yu-gi-oh card binders...can't seem to part with them.
      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
        Still valuable. Around $2000.
        I think it was only running at about $800 (ha, "only") at the time.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Not that I would know or anything, but a Beta Black Lotus has reportedly gone for upwards of $4,000.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            I think it was only running at about $800 (ha, "only") at the time.

^-.-^
            My friends step dad had the beta card of that in a hermetically (right?) sealed airtight (and air vacuumed out) display.... he said once if they house caught fire that would be the only thing he would grab lol.

And yes I have personally seen people be too crazy by cards, a friend did the scale thing before, then god ticket when they started adding foil mana MTG cards into every pack and removing them (usually) for the super rare ones, and then my friend T, whom ran the 100 meter dash in 5 seconds when he saw from a distance I had an original Armageddon.
            Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
            pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

ahh, i spent too much money on MTG and other collectible card games.

Thats why I now play other non collectible card games to get my fix like Dominion or Ascension. The box comes with all the cards needed and then you all start with the same starting deck and have to buy cards during the game to add to your deck, makes for an interesting game with a bit of variety but you don't have to fork out huge amounts for a constantly changing game and it ends up a lot cheaper
              "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
              Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

I remember Pogs.

I worked at McD's when they were doing a giveaway of Pogs.

I still have nightmares about Pogs. (and the hordes of kids who would beg me to make sure to give them some special rare one that they HAD TO HAVE.)

Comment

Quoth Erin View Post
                  I remember Pogs.
                  I have 2 binders and a couple of tubes of them, still.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yeah, I've still got some M:TG cards laying around, but I got out of buying a LONG time ago. Why? My (and my wife's) entire collection got stolen along with our Suburban. Hell, the collection was worth more than the car. 3/4 of a complete set of Beta and Unlimited, 1/3 set of Alpha, complete set of Arabian Nights.... You get the idea. Couldn't bring myself to try to rebuild. Then they went and got stupidly complex with the mechanics. See ya!

Anyone ever play Legend of the Five Rings? That is one freaking complicated card game. I had my very own Naga (?) deck and now I can't find it.
                    Never played it, but I am very familiar with it. One of the designers is a good friend of mine.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth jedikuonji View Post
                      The good old Chaos Orb. The idea was you flipped the card like you would flip a coin and whatever cards it landed on were then removed from play. The instance you are talking about is essentially an unconfirmed rumor about someone who tore up the card in an interesting rules exploit. This was actually before anyone really figured that the cards would be worth anything and the rumored result was that it was allowed since there wasn't any rule stating you couldn't tear up your own cards. Everyone except the opponent thought it an excellent strategy.
                      In one of the silly Magic sets they released a card called Chaos Confetti which you were supposed to do that exact thing.

I played Magic back in the Unlimited days when a bunch of my friends brought some cards back from Gencon. I remember scouring the Metro Detroit area for those damn cards. I wish I had kept my moxes though. Could probably buy a small army now. then I played again for a while when I started at the company where I currently work, they were all Magic freaks. Those people left and I stopped playing. I still have a bunch of the cards.

Never heard of someone using a scale but I do remember back in the day that the Royal Assassin was always in the same spot in the box of cards.

Comment

Once paid 400 for a lot of 4000 magic cards. In which two pristine black lotus were. Went up with my comics and 250+ poems in a fire. God I wish I had had at least fire insurance at that time . Though at the time, they were not worth NEAR what they are now. Was a lousy Christmas. No home, only the clothes on our back..bleh.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I love playing "Magic, the gathering." My two best decks are "The Bre-ayne Orcs", a group of Orcs who've renounced barbarianism to become druids, specializing in totem armor and weather magic, and my "Kylie Moriarty deck." (Green/Blue/Red/White)

The Kylie Moriarty deck is designed to control the field, countering every spell you cast while wresting control of your monsters, while healing herself and using the force of nature to defeat you. (Blue/Green.)

Both decks also specialize in Kylie's best move: Reflecting whatever spell you cast back against you.

So I based my decks off the books I write. They're my books, and my decks, and if you don't like them, you don't have to play me, lol.

I've made a third deck too, "The Wildcats." They act differently, empowering themselves while destroying anything that isn't natural, such as artifacts. (Green/White.)
                          Last edited by Kristev; 11-14-2010, 02:35 AM.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                          X