X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DWI

Hello again all,

I am mainly a lurker but sometimes I might have a relevant story. My background is I am a tv news shooter & reporter in Washington DC. I like to hang on these boards to read good stories, kind of an addiction of mine.

In any event, back in March on the Friday after St. Patrick's Day, I was driving home when I was nearly run off the road by a drunk driver. The different thing is I drive a company car home, and it has a dashcam.

This was the result.

Fast forward to this week and it was time for the trial.

Here it is.

I figured I would share a little work story of my own.
    "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

holy crap. what a night.
    and for bringing a drunk driver to justice

and VA is one of those "two strikes" states - a second moving violation involving alcohol will permanently cost the driver the license.

Comment

Oh, good on you. You rock! It must have been very scary for you, but you were in the right place and you helped get him off the street.

Comment

thats awesome that you were able to help keep him off the streets, at least for a little while

Comment

Wow. Good job on getting that. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
            Hello again all,

I am mainly a lurker but sometimes I might have a relevant story. My background is I am a tv news shooter & reporter in Washington DC. I like to hang on these boards to read good stories, kind of an addiction of mine.

In any event, back in March on the Friday after St. Patrick's Day, I was driving home when I was nearly run off the road by a drunk driver. The different thing is I drive a company car home, and it has a dashcam.

This was the result.

Fast forward to this week and it was time for the trial.

Here it is.

I figured I would share a little work story of my own.
            /me points at a fellow SDMBer and giggles

And I still say that was fantastic. I don't know how many times we collectively have wished for police to nab some jerk drivers for almost causing accidents.

I am getting a dash cam for my birthday in October
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Back atcha fellow Doper -

Can't say it was scary, I was too pissed off at the guy and I was just trying to be reasonable (and not make the situation worse.)

I certainly don't feel like a hero or any such silliness, just a citizen doing what I hope any other citizen should do.
              "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

You're a hero, in your own way.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

As an ER nurse who has cared for the victims of drunk drivers (rarely the drunks themselves), I have to say . . .

He got off rather lightly though.

I doubt his appeal will succeed . . . at least I hope not. What I have observed is even when caught, drunk drivers don't quit drinking and driving until they kill someone and do serious prison time.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

You are an awesome human being. That guy could have killed you and others, and probably wouldn't even have cared. Hope you stick around the site!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time and risking your safety to help stop this drunk driver.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Sure the guy got off light, but that DWI will really hurt his chances at getting his citizenship. Glad you got the drunk driver off the road!
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

More important than the (light) sentence is that you got this guy off the road before he ran into something and hurt someone. Even if that person was just himself, it would have been a shame.

Thanks.

Comment

I am most certainly staying around on the board, I enjoy the STORIES! (There's a reason I enjoy doin' news).

And I will certainly add a few more tales as I can, though as I am 'outed' I sure can't tell all of them...

Many of them...

Rather a few actually...

<crickets>...

Small business it is.

Comment

I'm gobsmacked that it took more than 25 miles for the cops to catch up to that jerk. . .

Glad you weren't run into the guardrail!

Comment

Working...
                              X