This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Black Friday Openings

Last year we opened at midnight on Black Friday. This year? We're opening at 8pm on Thanksgiving night. Apparently, it's what the customers want, and the other stores are doing it, so we need to keep up with the competition (something about a bridge comes to mind here). So what time will your store open for Black Friday?
    Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

I don't work in general-merch retail, but the blue laws in my state prohibit Black Friday midnight openings (as well as general restrictions on working on Thanksgiving itself).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      I don't work in general-merch retail, but the blue laws in my state prohibit Black Friday midnight openings (as well as general restrictions on working on Thanksgiving itself).
      I'm normally not a fan of blue laws, but this seems like a good thing...
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I'm just waiting for the day some CEO says "Fuck it, let's just stay open on Thanksgiving".

You just know that's the next step.

Stupidity like that makes me thank God I don't work retail anymore.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I know what each CEO is thinking: "I wish it was Christmas each day!"

But without the inconvenience of Christmas store closures, of course.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

8 or 9 on Thanksgiving night here probably. Looks like Thanksgiving dinner is a no-go, at least until the weekend.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My store never closes and we'll probably have some crappy sales on Thanksgiving which hopefully if they haven't changed the rules for working holidays I will be taking off especially since it's my birthday.
              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Black Friday has got so huge that Canada now observes this massive sale. Not all stores, but I have seen some of the big names pull out sales. Which i think is ridiculous, we already have boxing day!

Comment

last year when i worked for mart of wal i worked thanksgiving evening for someone who had family coming in from out of state for thanksgiving. Since I had no family in town for the holiday i decided to work a 4 hour shift.. That was a mistake.. Mart of Wal has started black friday thursday night and i think was one of the first big stores to do so.

Comment

I can't remember when Random Craft Store opens on Black Friday, I think it's sometime between 3-5 am. I didn't work there last Black Friday, a first in the many years I've worked there. I don't even know what time The Warehouse opens, but I'm hoping I'm opening there instead of closing, like I did last year.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Usually the fabric store opens at 6 AM Friday morning. I can live with that.

The store is completely closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. And I hope it keeps up that fine tradition. Employees deserve their holidays off, just like anybody else. The whole "open the store on Thanksgiving evening" nonsense is absolutely disgusting.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Usually the fabric store opens at 6 AM Friday morning. I can live with that.

The store is completely closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. And I hope it keeps up that fine tradition. Employees deserve their holidays off, just like anybody else. The whole "open the store on Thanksgiving evening" nonsense is absolutely disgusting.
                        See, I can understand a fabric store being open early...mostly because people who shop at those stores are there for one of three reasons:

1) Buying the manchester/homewares stuff (YMMV, but the two big craft/fabric chains down here sell manchester and some homewares-usually things like coffee cups and bathroom stuff)

2) Buying fabric/sewing/haberdashery stuff to make a project.

3) Raiding the craft section for their Christmas crapola.

In other words, you're not likely to have hordes there desperate for the latest fabric for Christmas....
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                          In other words, you're not likely to have hordes there desperate for the latest fabric for Christmas....
                          Especially since the latest fabric for Christmas has been on our shelves for months already...
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            Especially since the latest fabric for Christmas has been on our shelves for months already...
                            Don't remind me. The Big Red Dot Chain down here ended up moving a whole bunch of crochet/knitting/wool supplies a shelf or two over and filled up an entire aisle with Christmas crap. Their sister store near my boyfriends place did a similar thing, but given that the stuff on that side was primarily clearance ANYWAY, it wasn't as big an issue.
                            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I am STILL waiting for the franchise that owns my pizza place to OPEN on Thanksgiving AND Christmas day. It has been talked about over the last couple of years.

To them I say "Blow it out your ass"
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                              X