Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie it back, that's what I do and it shuts most people up, they only bitch and rag about it when I leave it untied and wild.
    "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

Once upon a long time ago, I took a job in a call center... it wasn't like anybody ever saw us, but the dress code ran on for five turgid pages. Included was an emphatic section on "proper undergarments" and a complete prohibition on "visible" piercings on men.

So, I quit wearing underwear... and, interestingly enough, so did the woman who sat beside me (but that's another story). And, I got a nip pierced (there were other reasons, but one of the important parts was such things weren't done in those days).

It was just my little way of sticking it to The Man.
      I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Well, if the dress code states that the man's hair may not be past his collar, then do the following:

1) Put your hair in a ponytail
        2) Twist your ponytail into a bun

Voila! It is no longer past your collar! The only reason why short hair is more acceptable these days dates back to very very olden times - when in battle, short hair is harder to grab than long. The tie originated as a rag on which to wipe your sword clean as well.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Right... a bun, that'll look nice...

And right after that I can do pig tails.

Here's my plan. I'm going to agree to it, and say "I'll get it cut as soon as I get some money" IE, first paycheck. Then just kinda see what happens... If he presses the matter, I get it cut. But if he doesn't and kinda lets it slide... gravy.

The problem is not the manager. The manager seems very cool. He's worried he'll have to fire me three days after hireing me because some corperate GIT decides to make a fuss about my hair.
          "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
          ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

If and when you do get it cut, you could donate your hair to locks of love.

Comment

I forgot to mention that my paint manager has hair that goes down to his waist. But he does wear it in a bun. It's actually pretty cool looking (on him at least). He did get in trouble for wearing it down one time, but no one says anything if its up.
              So that actually may be a consideration for you (if corp will allow that).
              Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                it wasn't like anybody ever saw us, but the dress code ran on for five turgid pages. Included was an emphatic section on "proper undergarments"
                "Proper undergarments"?! For the love of Cthulhu, why should that matter?
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I work in food service. While it doesn't seem to be as bad now, for a long time it was almost impossible to get a job in this industry if you were a guy with long hair.

From the age of 17-25, I had long hair. I also worked in the food service industry.

How did I do it? Simple. I know a lot of girls. And through them, I figured out a way to put my long (curly) hair up, under itself, so it honestly looked like I had shorter hair. Over my collar. Admittedly it only worked because (A) I did it when my hair was wet, (B) my hair is curly, so even short there was plenty of hair to hide it under, and (C) I used a lot of bobby pins.

Early on, when applying for jobs, I would tell the employer that I could put my hair up and they wouldn't see a thing. Well, they didn't seem to believe me. So I just started going on interviews with the hair up and didn't say a thing to them. I would literally work for months before anyone realized I had long hair. At that point, they KNEW that I could disguise it, so they didn't care....and at the end of the night, I would take out the pins, shake my hair out, and let it tumble. Often to the shock and surprise of new employees.

Then, about a month before I turned 25, I got my hair cut short. Didn't tell anyone. Just did it. Shocked EVERYONE. I've had it short ever since (though a couple of times, I have started to grow it out, only to decide that it looked ridiculous.) I HAVE since grown my goatee, though, and will shave it off only when *I* decide it is time to do so. Considering that there are many restaurants that still insist on no beards on men, this can get interesting, especially once I move out of the laidback place that is Key West.

But with my experience and employability, I can afford to be stubborn about my goat. Not everyone is in the driver's seat that I usually am when it comes to jobs. Because even with the goatee, when I apply for jobs, I am wearing a TIE. And the goat is neat and trim. I make an impression. And if it isn't good enough for them to let the goat go, fuck 'em.

Good luck to you, my friend. If you can figure out how to put it up without it looking ridiculous (if it is dead straight hair, I doubt it), go for it. If not, and you feel you have to get it cut, do so, get the job, and immediately start growing it out again. By the time they say anything, hopefully you'll be one of their best and most trusted employees.

Yes, RW, I used to have a LONG mop on my head.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                    Actually, don't. My fiance did that about a year before he met me, and they sold his name. For a solid year, he got calls, emails, letters from charities asking him to donate to them too.

I'm not against donating, honestly, but not Locks of Love.

Comment

I've never had the long hair (Mine just gets all big and nasty looking). I spent about 3 years keeping it shaved (Clippers with no guard) and had a long goatee. I finally let the hair grow out around thanksgiving and shaved off the goatee about a month ago. I was just getting lazy about shaving and figured I could shave in the shower and get it done that way. I've had a goatee on and off for about 12 years now shaving it every couple of years for a while and then letting it grow back.

I can understand corporations playing the chickenshit roll of wanting clean cut (we can't offend our SC's now can we). But me personally I have no problem being waited on/served/helped/whatever by someone with long hair and tats. Hell I'm a Metal Head myself and a lot of these guys while they look mean as a pitbull are really nice as hell.

I would have no problem hiring someone with tats and long hair as long as the hair was kept nice looking. And that the tats weren't tasteless (No racist/gang tats and no nudie tats) that are visible.

On the subject of tats, a guy who used to work with my mom was a former gang member. he was in his early 40's by this point but had full sleeves of very obvious gang style tats. He would only wear long sleeve shirts to hide them and was working at getting the money and assistance for tattoo removal. He was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet and both of my parents had nothing but good things to say about him. Which for my straight laced anti tat parents is shocking.

edit: you could always get it permed and go for the fro, hell its not below your shoulders anymore. **ducks and runs for fear of his life**
                      Last edited by digilight; 04-24-2007, 07:44 PM. Reason: stupid sugestion for hair style...
                      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth nekoro View Post
                        Actually, don't. My fiance did that about a year before he met me, and they sold his name. For a solid year, he got calls, emails, letters from charities asking him to donate to them too.

Odd. The roommate donated about a year ago, and other than a thank-you note, hasn't heard another word.

I, on the other hand, donated to the Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Fund about a year ago, and now have a stack of address labels that won't fit in the desk drawer from every Tom, Dick, and charity on the face of earth wanting me to donate.

Comment

Quoth nekoro View Post
                          Actually, don't. ....
                          I have donated my hair to Locks of Love many times. I know a number of people who have also donated. None of us have ever had that problem. Just go to Great Clips or Super Cuts- you're anonymous- and your haircut is FREE.

Locks of Love is the way to go.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          "Proper undergarments"?! For the love of Cthulhu, why should that matter?
                          Under garements should not be seen by your co- workers. Also, there are times when it's painfully obvious if none are worn. Sorry, but I completely agree with this rule.
                          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                          HellGate: London

Comment

Is not getting the job worth not doing something as trivial as getting a haircut? It's not like they're asking you to shave your legs or give up your first-born child. It's hair and it will grow back. But your hair in one hand, the job (and an income) in the other. Which one is heavier?

Having said that, I think it's time for employers to look at the person and not the clothes they wear or how they have their hair. If it's clean and well kept, there should be no reason not to hire you.

But then again, it's their playground which means that if you want to play, you have to play by their rules.
                            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                              Beat me to it.

I wish I could donate my hair...but it never grows long enough.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

oh that microphone picture is awesome! HAHA! Magic Mic. hair.
                                But all in all the hair cutting policy is whack.

Comment

Working...
                                X