Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, of course I don't mind if you call me that.

Well, for what it's worth, last time I worked at Kinko's, there were no hair rules. No earring rules, either. Geez, one of my co-workers had a mohawk and little tusks coming out of his freaking nose for crying out loud.

It really used to be a good place to work. Maybe not so much now that FedEx has bought it I understand. But I don't know if they are hassling the guys about their hair over there now. You might check into it. You can learn some good skills at Kinko's, or at least, you could at one time. Something to think about.

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post

Under garements should not be seen by your co- workers. Also, there are times when it's painfully obvious if none are worn. Sorry, but I completely agree with this rule.
      Mostly I agree, too. But, as my beloved co-worker asked the manager who was telling us this rule, "And who does the checking?"
      I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Ya know, just to go offtopic for a second - but the topic of this post makes me burst into this song:

She asks me why
        I'm just a hairy guy
        I'm hairy noon and night
        Hair that's a fright
        I'm hairy high and low
        Don't ask me why
        Don't know
        It's not for lack of bread
        Like the Grateful Dead
        Darling

Gimme head with hair
        Long beautiful hair
        Shining, gleaming,
        Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
        Shoulder length or longer
        Here baby, there mama
        Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
        Flow it, show it
        Long as God can grow it
        My hair

We now bring you back to your regularly scheduled topic
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I have to wear my hair up at work
          No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Considering that there are many restaurants that still insist on no beards on men, this can get interesting, especially once I move out of the laidback place that is Key West.
            I can definitely agree with that if you're in the food prep area, especially since beard hairs are often short and curley.

Quoth morgana View Post
            I, on the other hand, donated to the Susan B. Komen Breast Cancer Fund about a year ago, and now have a stack of address labels that won't fit in the desk drawer from every Tom, Dick, and charity on the face of earth wanting me to donate.
            And that's another good reason to make donations annonymous.

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
              Mostly I agree, too. But, as my beloved co-worker asked the manager who was telling us this rule, "And who does the checking?"
              My wife's work has one rule on undergarments. "No thongs". She's a nurse, and you can see through quite a few scrub pants (white esp) and of course when women in thongs bend over they often stick out. So I guess in that case it wouldn't be hard to check on them. Otherwise, who's going to know.

Comment

If any job told me I had to cut my hair I would tell exactly what orfice they could stick their head. My head, my hair, my business. My hair is about 6 inches short of being to my butt and I will wear it braided, ponytailed, pigtailed, bunned and fluffing behind me. It all depends on what I'm doing that day and the weather.

Will-Mun you shouldn't cut your hair if you don't want to, but if you want to look like you have short hair try french braiding it back and then tucking the end up under the braid as far as it will go and add a few bobby pins. Viola! instant short hair.

My co-worker has hair longer than mine and he braids it back and then puts his shirt on so the braid lays under the shirt. Since he's a tech he certainly doesn't want his braid to be flopping around behind him.

Around here you might be sued for racism/culturalism if you insist a Sioux person cuts their hair. Some of the guys have the most beautiful long, silky black hair you've ever seen.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

To the under garment issue:

Most people I encounter wouldn't need this rule but on rare occasion you get an exception. Generally when this happens no one needs to "check" because it's painfully obvious to everyone.

To the hair issue:

I suggest simply asking your potential employer if you can wear your hair up- maybe under a cap or something. If they say yes, fine. If they say no then I suggest a hair cut. Unless you simply don't need an income or can find an alternate source of income.

I have long hair and I LOVE having long hair. Even as a woman I have had jobs where I have either had to keep my hair up or cut it short. Pulling my hair back gives me a headache (literally) and generally after awhile I get tired of messing with it and just cut it off. SO much easier.
                  "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                  HellGate: London

Comment

Well I pretty much got the job, and may have just put off the inevitable. I talked to the manager and told him I was flat broke, NO Money (which is 100% true, I have literally $2 on me.) And if I can work as is until I can afford the cut.

He didn't exactly say...yes, but he did tell me to come in tommorow to put me in the system and talk hours. So woo...

I shall keep my hair for as long as possible! It's the principal of the matter damn it!!!

And partially just lazyness I reeeeeeally don't want to go through the hassel of getting it cut.
                    Last edited by Will-Mun; 04-25-2007, 11:13 PM. Reason: Ze spelling was teh bad
                    "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
                    ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

Heh, when I got mine cut I went to Fantastic Sam's, and although I regret taking the job that made me cut it, the cut itself was no problem. I told the stylist this would be the first time since I was old enough to vote that my hair would be short enough I wouldn't be able to just pull it back and go. I told her I wanted to keep it long-ish, but to do whatever she thought would make me look good.

I ended up LOVING the cut, and I was messing with my bangs so much (Hey, it was WIERD having hair over my forehead that didn't come down past my chin!) that my fiancee was teasing me about it for a week afterwards.

The moral of the story is: Find a good stylist and give it a shot.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                        I have not had a haircut in over five years, my hair is very long... I really don't want to cut my hair, because I hate hair cuts. But this is the only place I've found that may hire me...
                        That's illegal discrimination if he has a stricter dress code for one gender over the other. I'd talk with the Dept of Labor about this if I was you. This is 2007, not 1957.

Comment

Quoth bannedanna View Post
                          I have to say I'm not a big fan of Locks of Love either.

I donated about 16" of hair right before I went to college (yeah - it was crazy-long)

As thank you, I got a shitty, badly-printed postcard in the mail. Wasn't even personalized with my name on it.

Screw them.

My mother taught me that when one recieves a gift, a handwritten thank you note is sent. Not a shitty postcard with "Thank you" printed on it. I would have settled for a form letter, but apparently the $0.32 postage (at the time) was too much to spend....

That just kinda made me angry. Shows a lack of gratitude towards donors.... especially when a person is making a signifigant sacrifice for a stranger.

Um... No offence, but you're not supposed to do it for a reward, but because you're helping people. But thats besides the point...

Locks of Love is a very large, very well known organization that must get thousands of donations a month. They couldn't EVER send a hand written thank you to every person who ever donates some hair. It just wouldn't be realistic.

Comment

Locks for Love is a non-profit organization, they make no money for what they do. It would be impossable for them to hire a bunch of people to write hand written thank you letters to every donator, because like I said, they get thousands a month from across the country.

It's not a matter of not being nice, or thankful, or even 'ettiquet', it's a matter of impossibility.

Now I'm not trying to start a flame war here... But I just don't think it's right to not like a Charity organization for sending you a standardized thank you.

It's not enough that they said thank you, they need to make it hand written?

Comment

I have to agree with Will on this one. I got a post card when I donated to locks of love. It didn't have my name on it except for my address. I thought it was a nice little card. I was more happy that someone was going to benifit from my donation than whether or not my thank you card was personlized with my name on it.

At least you did get a postcard. You could have not got anything at all.
                              Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Quoth Will-Mun View Post
                                Um... No offence, but you're not supposed to do it for a reward, but because you're helping people.
                                You are absolutely correct.

As I said before I have donated to Locks of Love several times. I have never once received anything in the mail- no post card, no thank-you's and no solicitations from other charities.

And I really don't care about any of that- I do it for the kids.
                                Look how happy they are:
                                http://www.locksoflove.org/recipient.html

Knowing I helped make some of those smiles is plenty thanks enough for me.
                                "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                                HellGate: London

Comment

Working...
                                X