Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most WTF things you've been asked at work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Why is my internet not working?"

Because you haven't paid your bill in six months. NEXT!

Comment

I asked this question the last time I was at my in-laws' house. The only good response was from the brother-in-law who works at an auto parts store and keeps getting asked for starter fluid "Cuz my starter's broke and I think it needs more."
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I think I'm going to have every one here beat.

The most WTF thing I've ever been asked as work is:

"Do you ever check out the goods when you're putting a catheter in a man?"

Oh, Good Lord
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          "Do you ever check out the goods when you're putting a catheter in a man?"

Oh, Good Lord
          Having had a few catheters put in, I doubt the goods will be that impressive in that situation.

Comment

At a major electronics retailer: "Where'd your pizza shop go?" Customer actually believed that my store used to have a small pizza restaurant inside it, upstairs. We never had a pizza restaurant inside (or even on our block), and the only thing upstairs was the roof.

Also at a major electronics retailer: "Can you use your computer to check to see if my satellite dish has snow on it?"

As a pizza driver: "We're having a party and can't decide on burgers or pizza. If we call the drive-in across your parking lot and place an order, can you deliver it to us?" I asked the boss. He said that we would do that but only if they ordered pizza, too. They agreed!

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
            I really don't get what's so annoying about the restroom question.
            For me, the annoyance was caused by one missing word: "public." "Do you have a restroom" strikes me as a kind of clueless question in most shops because I've been to very few that have no restroom at all. "Do you have a public restroom" strikes me as intelligent because it assumes that a restroom exists but that it may not be available for customer use, and it leads the answerer easily into giving directions if the response is affirmative.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Just remembered this: "Can I come back there and package my own bread?"

Ha ha, no. That's just, erm...yea, I don't think so. That's just nasty.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

One time, I greeted a customer and asked if he was finding what he was looking for. His response? "Are you for sale?"

I did manage to crack a joke about my husband probably not liking that, to which grumbled about his wife's probable reaction and wandered off.

I did mention the jerk to management, not because I was particularly traumatized (just irritated), but because a lot of the younger women who work there have lived rather more sheltered lives than I have and if this happened to one of them, it would be a lot more upsetting to her.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                  I forget exactly how she put it, but she basically asked "If you find anyone, can you check them out on your personal library card for us?"
                  I get asked by customers if I can put in my personal store card for them because "the person before me got an extra discount and I want it too but I forgot my card". Um, the person before you is an employee. The hiring manager is right over there if you really, really want the 'extra discount'
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

"Is there a bar upstairs?" To be fair the customer was joking, and I replied management doesn't want us drinking at work.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

"Do you work here?"

....no, one of my hobbies is stealing store uniforms and wearing them to mess with everyone.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                        One time, I greeted a customer and asked if he was finding what he was looking for. His response? "Are you for sale?"
                        I offer three camels as payment...
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                          I offer three camels as payment...
                          Too cheap. Five camels and a goat!

Comment

Far too cheap!

Eight cows! I will pay eight cows for this beauty!
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Just thought of something else I was asked about the library job, although it was from someone online - I don't remember exactly how the guy phrased it, but he basically asked if staff decided what books to have in the library by reading them first.

Comment

I offer ten camels,eight cows and a small sheep
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X