This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best prank I've ever heard of locally:

In the 1980's (pre-cell phone, Blackberry, laptop, Gameboy etc) regular commuters from Bainbridge Island to downtown Seattle would generally sit in the same seats on the ferry every day. They would lift up the seat cushion and stash their novel, cribbage board, backgammon, whatever in the life jacket box under the seat.

Washington State Ferries are symmetrical on the outside but not on the inside, the snack bar and bathrooms, crew room, etc are on one half or the other of the boats.

One April Fool's day the crew turned the 5:30 AM boat around. The bleary-eyed commuters stumbled aboard and had fits finding "their" seats.

Best high-school prank: One of my friends started a prank war involving lockers. Most people could easily get the combo to a friend's locker by watching them open it. It started with filling the locker with confetti, then garbage, then bottles of beer, etc. My friend, who started the war, lost big time when a couple of guys attached a two-man life raft to the back of the door of the locker, and wired the C02 cartridge to the back of the locker. He opened up the locker and PSSSSSSSSSSSH! the raft inflated in the hallway.

Best work prank was one I did myself, again in the late 1980's. I dictated a letter to a fake company, all about how we were going to replace our dictation transcriptionist with voice-recognition software. After I signed off on the letter, I said on the tape that the transcriptionist should read the first letter of every sentence. The letters spelled "April Fool". Alas, 18 years later, the joke has now become reality! She still has a job but not as many hours.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Oh, that reminds me of an acrostic I did for a chap. He was the son of the dairyman (still is, I guess), and he was involved romantically with a young lass. He knew of my occasional literary triumphs and wanted some romantic poetry for her.

The first letter of each line of the first one read "I shag sheep" and the second one said "****** smells".

Yes, I did tell him after he'd given them to her, but I added in a quatrain to the second to add 'nice'.

Rapscallion

Comment

Reminds me of the time we shrink wraped a managers truck on his last day. (He was a great guy.) Here is a link to the photos.

Bored Employees + Shrink Wrap + Managers truck. Not safe for 56K
        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

While talking to Goose (yes that is his name) while he was sat on the forklift one day, it was stopped, I slowly turned off the gas at the tank.

The gas in the system was enough for him to start and move the fork a few metres before it ran out of fuel.

He didnt realise what had happened until he had disconnected the tank and attempted to pick it up to change it over. As he was exchanging that full tank for another full one.
          It's like trying to get laid by showing a girl your resume.
          Look, I was good at Biology and Woodwork.
          So I know where stuff is and I'm good with my hands.

- Dan, The Gruen Transfer

Comment

If only I could get employees from ten years ago to be at their old desks one morning when the owners came in, working like normal...

I guess I'll have to settle for replacing the company phone extension lists with ones from back then.
            I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

At my first "real" (ie: Mom and Dad aren't my boss) job, the employee parking lot was behind the store. To the south and west were streets, north (beyond the employee parking lot) were train tracks, and to the east was a hotel.

The dumpster was behind the store as well, beyond the employee's parking lot. I was taking out the garbage, and noticed that one-particularly naive-employee had left her keys in the ignition of her car. Technically, it was actually her fathers car. Her fathers BELOVED car.

Thinking that she may have locked the keys in the car, I checked to see if the door was locked. But it wasn't.

I hopped in, started it up, and parked it on the other side of the hotel. After work, she came out, and discovered her dad's car was missing. Of course, nobody knew where it was. (I let in a few co-workers in on it.) I finally broke the news to her before she called the cops.
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

One time, we had a new stockboy haul the big ladder out front, climb up, and find the string to turn off the big red K so that we could all go home...
                thank you for shopping our Kmart

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                  Reminds me of the time we shrink wraped a managers truck on his last day. (He was a great guy.) Here is a link to the photos.
                  LOL! We did something similar to one of the guys at camp. Imagine his surprise when his shitbox Chevette was wrapped with aluminum foil...and some yellow caution tape.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

These are from way back when I worked at Spencer's gifts in the mall.

Best and Worst job ever

Because this was a job that no one really cared about we often sent needy customers on scavenger hunts for the items they wanted that did not exist in our store.

Turning on motion actived items and putting in odd places in the store that went invisible until someone walked by. The fart jokes were endless with this one.

Back then part of the job was to demo products.

This one got us in trouble but it was so worth it. The check out counter was metal and spences sells certain items that take batteries and vibrate. Well we attached one of these fun little items with string and tape to the metal counter. It made a huge noise and people started to come into the store to check out the noise only to find a vibrator circling in the middle of the counter.

Halloween was the best.

We got a real sized cript keeper. This was awsome. Kids were so scared of this thing. So many hours so many tears. It was great. I am the type of person that steals candy from a baby if its tasty enough.

Teenages were also fun. You could scare them by following them around watching them and then telling them you saw what they did and they better put it back. Some of them got so scared some really were stealing and did put items back. The ones that didnt steal anything were the best.

We really werent managed much. The manager spent most of her time in the back smoking and watching tv so free range to screw off. wahahahahaha
                    I before E except after C. We live in a weird society

Comment

The night stocker R stuck an EAS tag somewhere on me one day. So of course I beeped going out the door, I even showed the CSM my purse to show I hadn't stolen anything.

The kicker is that R actually TOLD me he did it, but wouldn't tell me where he stuck it on me. I never found the EAS tag. My theory is maybe he got me to step on it sticky side up so it was on my shoe, and fell off whilst walking home.

I wanted to do this to one of the tech salesmen, like offering to polish his shoes and sneaking a tag on the bottom. Sadly he was fired before I got the chance....

Comment

Quoth Cyanocobalamin View Post
                        The night stocker R stuck an EAS tag somewhere on me one day. So of course I beeped going out the door
                        We do that at my store all the time. Mostly me and 2 cashiers. I've developed a talent for sticking them to people's backs without them feeling it.

Our photo supervisor (S) did the best one though. She stuck one right on the back of our managers (C) coat. The outside of it where it was easily visable. When he set our alarm off he assumed somehting he bought didnt get deactivated. After he left our store he went to Wal Mart, with the tag still attached to the back of his coat. He set the alarm off on the way out and they started to strip search him. He started swearing when he took his coat off and saw the tag. He told S about it the next day (not knowing she did it). Then S told me, then later that day C tried to blame me for it.
                        Last edited by Ree; 08-12-2006, 11:58 AM. Reason: Excessive quoting
                        "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Occasionally I'll hide various items that are needed for a particular task. It's even more fun hiding them in plain sight.

One example.

Every couple of days, fresh cole slaw is made. One time I was walking past and grabbed a couple cabbages, then started thinking where I could hide them. One was placed on top of a rack, one was hidden under some items on the counter, and one I impaled.

I walk away snickering and continue with my work, which involved going past that department a few times. Finally, about half an hour later, I get a page from that department. As I'm walking over there, I'm laughing... When I arrive, I'm asked, "Becky, have you happened to see three cabbages?" Still laughing, I point them out and run away before they are thrown at me.
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

This one was played on me just a few days ago...

I am dating a day shift employee (I work nights) and knew that he was going to propose to me this past Thursday after he got off of work, and on my day off. So I told my manager jokingly not to call me as I knew what was happening and couldn't go into work that day.

My fiancee goes into the office and tells her to call me and make up an emergency on why I have to come in. She calls and says the manager who covers my shift on Thursday's fell down the stairs and broke his ankle. Now this is completely believable, and as there is only 3 of us who can manage the store and know the books I would have to come in.

I started to get ready for work, while bawling mind you, when I got the call that they were just kidding.

Comment

At the grocery store, in the deli department, some cheese company had sent an inflatable cow to the manager for use in decoration and to promote the cheese. Well, the deli manager just LOVED the cow and thought it was cute. So therefore, one of the deli cooks and the rest of the departments took turns "kidnapping" the cow and sending polaroids. The best was when we hid it in the meat department. The deli manager nearly died laughing at the polaroid of the meat manager holding the cow next to the meat saw. We did eventually return him though.

Also at the grocery store, a friend of mine drove a Geo Storm, one of those tiny cars. Which this was amusing, because my friend was very tall, so it looked funny every night, him folding himself into that itty bitty car. Well one evening I was off work, and bored. I was over at my best friend Sarah's house, and her boyfriend Andrew and another friend of Andrew's were over. We went up to the store for snacks, then I got an evil idea. My friend was working, and he was due to be off work in about twenty minutes. So we hurried up and bought our snacks, then ran out to the parking lot. With Sarah and I holding the front, and Andrew and his friend holding the back, we were able to MOVE his car. What we did was move it horizontally, so it was taking up two spots. When my friend came out, he didn't see his car right away, as it was hidden from view by the giant Suburban that we'd driven. (The truck belonged to Sarah's mom. We were in high school at the time.) My friend wigged out, it was hilarious.

Man we were evil at that store. One more story. Towards the end of my tenure, I worked in the meat department. We noticed on a brand of packaged fresh chicken, we were getting shorted lately. Well, there happened to be a plant for that company in southern Missouri, and I had a good friend living there. He phoned me up one day and said the factory was shut down, one of the workers had caught his arm in a machine, and since it had been pulled off and sucked into a machine, they closed down that whole section of factory to clean and sanitize. I told my boss, who made faces and bad jokes about fried chicken and severed hands. It was Halloween-time, so I decided to mess with him. I found a theatre shop in the city that had some very realistic looking fake severed fingers. I managed to open a package of chicken that was already doomed for the trash bin (sent to us expired...way to be, guys!) without making it look tampered with, and jammed in the fake fingers, and some fake blood. I left it on his desk, which is behind a window. All of us crammed behind the counter and peered around into that window. Him jumping off his stool and then peering curiously at the chicken was priceless. We wished we'd had a camera.
                              I may be free from retail, but the nightmares still linger.....

Comment

I had a bit of fun in my Networks class; at the beginning of the semester I stashed a data crossover cable in the box with the regular network cables (I knew which was which, but wondered if anyone else in the class could figure it out). That turned into an instructor-sanctioned prank, seeing as I was generally the first one to class. The ratio of crossover to network cables gradually increased until at the end of the semester the box had fully half crossover cables (for each crossover added, I took out one network so the number stayed the same). Nobody in the class caught on to that one, which was somewhat disappointing as we were supposed to be able to differentiate the two cables by looking at the ends.

I would also modify the settings on various computers so they could see others locally but not the internet, see internet but not other computers in the room, etc. Among the usual swapping keyboards, fun with netsend, hiding mouse balls, and other stuff.
                                Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-12-2006, 10:02 PM.
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X