This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement Students?

This is very far down on the sucky scale (hence why I posted it here and not on the SC thread), but it's aggravating.

I work in a department office for a business school. I mostly deal with faculty, who are all very cool. They like me, respect me, and bring me candy. It's a pretty terrific job.

The few students I deal with though, are rude, arrogant, snotty, impatient, etc - in other words, a MBA candidate. Even the undergrads are bad.

Long story short, I've been helping a professor (Dr. Awesome) plan a career fair-type thing. She's set up information sessions and interview times with potential employers; 5 national, respected, very well known companies have agreed to do this with us. Guess who's in charge of scheduling the interviews? This is all stretched out over a period of a few weeks.

Dr. A is using Blackboard (an info website used by most colleges nowadays) to post information about this, including the current schedules. Apparently students are incapable of logging on to this site and checking the posted list before sending me e-mails.

Well, 4/5 sessions have come and gone with little to no worries. The last one is causing me headaches. Apparently this company gives out bags of gold every Friday to employees, because students are jumping on these interviews like a stoner on cookies. All the spots filled up last week. For those who could not sign up for an interview, they could drop off a resume, come to the info session and introduce themselves, and get a phone interview later. All of this has been posted on Blackboard.

I still get e-mails. Every day. From the same people. Persistence does pay off in business, but one major rule is never ever ever tick off the secretary. Dr. A really likes me. I tell her who's being obnoxious (these same people are giving her headaches separate from this).

I mean, you're still going to get your shot at an interview, it's fine, REALLY. E-mailing me constantly and getting ruder with each e-mail is not going to make an opening magically appear. In fact, that just moved you to the bottom of a very long list my friend.

Never aggravate the secretary.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

bags of gold? as in real gold?

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
      bags of gold? as in real gold?
      Must be Google.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

google or mac?
        hell i'd love to work for eitehr one

Comment

The students here do that too....yell and argue. It's even better when they try it with the campus police. I like the ones who cop an attitude because they think the officers are just security. Uh...nope...we're real cops who will take you to the real jail so you might want to shut up now.

I wish the students would stop trying this tactic. It gets irritating when they try to verbally shove their way through the croud. Hang in there.
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
          X