Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a good amount of teasing and taunting over my name, seeing as I was raised in a Baptist church setting.

"Grace, grace, God's grace!"

"Amaaaaazing Grace!"

Har har. Of course it was a bit different when the nice young men started referring to me as that and singing to me

And often times customers would look at my name tag and ask "Where's Will?!"

I know a couple whose son ended up with the initials "G.A.S." They thought it was funny. And someone else who had a son called Asher and a daughter Hosanna. I don't even want to think about how they must have been picked on.

I'm glad I didn't end up an Elizabeth, like I was meant to be, as it's much more common
    Mom actually wanted to call me that but dad didn't like it. Thanks, Dad! ^_^ He really, really wanted to call me Marie, but Mom hated that one. Dunno why, it's quite nice actually. Funny fact - I'm adopted, and my birth mother always called me Angel. Then when my adoptive family first had me (Didn't know they were going to keep me), they called me just plain "Baby".

Eh, sorry about rambling, but names fascinate me.
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

The book 'Freakonomics' cites the case of a child being named Sha-teed.

Spelled Shithead.

I'm kind of a pacifist/coward, but some people should be eliminated from the gene pool because their end of it has obviously dried up.

Comment

I've got worse than the rest (though "Sha-teed" comes close).

Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K
        Weather'by Dot Com Chanel Fourcast Sheppard (this kid lucked out and his father won the court case to rename him to Samuel Charles)
        Millionz A'Dollaz

Those poor children.

Quoth Primer View Post
        The only problem I foresee with that, is when they get old enough to start receiving mail, and it's addressed to "A. Surname."
        That's how we could always tell someone calling the house didn't actually know us and was likely a salesman of some sort. Two sisters and I all have an A as our first initial. Our father also has A as his first initial, but he actually goes by his middle name (which begins with D), so anyone asking for "Alton" was barking up the wrong tree. Worse were the people calling for "A. Surname." Our response: "Which one do you want?" Yeah, we kids were that cheeky.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

mine's Elisabeth, *sniff sniff* Although I never went by it, Always go by Liz, and people keep asking me if I spell it Lis, um no... My dad, sister and I all had the same initials, at least til my sis and I got married.
          My sister-in-law is Grace and her older brother is Will, they had a hard time in highschool.
          It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

When my mother told my father he was going to be a father, and that his to-be-firstborn was going to be a son, he was ecstatic. He went out to his favorite bar after work to share (and celebrate) the good news.

After much celebrating, the denizens of the bar, who were very Norwegian, held a contest to pick the best name for me. My father, in his much-celebrated state, loved the winning entry so much, he decided then and there to scrap the plans he and my mother had previously come up with and go with the winner.

Knowing my mother, if he had picked such an appallingly Norwegian name for me, she would have put her foot down and *insisted* they follow her side of the family's custom for naming boys.

Luckily for me, she managed to talk him down after he sobered up, and they compromised on naming me for both of my grandfathers. One of whom bore a very traditional family name (at least one man in every generation for the past 800 years).

What I wound up with was bad enough come elementary school. But it could have been much worse:

I could have been named Thorvald Topaz.

Comment

One of my guildmates in WoW had the most god-awfull name I've ever personally run into. Harold Richard Head. . . think about it. . . think. That's right, his parent's named him Harry Dick Head. Man had the most twisted sense of humor too.
              Losing faith in humanity, one customer at a time

Comment

Quoth BarbieGirl View Post
                mine's Elisabeth, *sniff sniff* Although I never went by it, Always go by Liz, and people keep asking me if I spell it Lis, um no...
                Oh, I've got nothing against the name, I just find it's rather common in the area I grew up in, whereas I haven't met too many others with my name.

Granted, thanks to various relatives and coworkers, I respond to Lauren, Lindsay, and multiple other "L" names anyhow.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth NotSoInnocent View Post
                  This is why my children have very normal names. "Angel"-girl, "Alicia"-girl, "Annalise"-girl, "Alexander"-boy....
                  You're like me with names. All those a's. I had a crush on a guy in high school, and named our fantasy daughter Angellica Aphrodite Armstrong. And I had toys named Alicia, Alexander, Andromeda, etc, etc. I named myself Andara, which turns out to be a traditional Celtic name.... for a boy.

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                  Sure it sucks for the little girl to be named Ethan,but it's better than some crazy name like...Apple (Gwenyth Paltrow's daughter).
                  Apple is not so bad a name. I think it's better than Ethan. At least Apple is somewhat feminine.

On the topic of seasonal names, I have a co-worker named Winter. Her daughter has an unusual name, too, but pretty and not unheard of.

Quoth Difdi View Post
                  I could have been named Thorvald Topaz.
                  Aw. Don't you think it would have been cool to go by the name Thor?

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Meh, that's the common pattern of some names: start off masculine, become feminine. See: Ashley, Courtney, Brittany. That little girl has a lot of other problems if she almost bursts into tears telling people her name.

Comment

Quoth Ghengis51 View Post
                      One of my guildmates in WoW had the most god-awfull name I've ever personally run into. Harold Richard Head. . . think about it. . . think. That's right, his parent's named him Harry Dick Head. Man had the most twisted sense of humor too.
                      Hey, when I used to go to the dirt track every weekend with my dad when I was a little Irvling, one of the race car drivers was named Richard Hed.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Got a normal name here, but I've had head-desk moments when my College has royally screwed their databases and accidently changed my enrolled first name to Veronica, when I'm a guy. That was 3 straight weeks of correcting, and I made sure they got a huge complaint from myself for not fixing the keying error and just leaving it as it was.

Regardless, my name is normal. The names I have as ideas for names for my children are probably a bit exotic, but they are gender-appropriate. Thats the most important thing.
                        - Boochan

Comment

My sister & I had the same initials until we got married too (A. D. K.) Now, I'm a bunch of advertisements (A.D.S.) Yeah, I know, my sense of humor is bad, but I've only had 1 cup of coffee so far!

I do like unusual names (like my daughter's middle name), and I did name my daughter Kelly (which still is used as a boy's name). But I'd never call my daughter Ethan or Richard, though I did toy with the idea of Michaela (spelled just like that, and no, I wasn't a fan of "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman", I just liked the name, heh).

Comment

My husband was almost named Tark.

Quiz:

Is Tark:

a) The sound one makes when choking
                            b) The sound one makes when gagging
                            c) The sound one makes when vomiting, or
                            d) A good name if you want to grow up to be the title character in a 1950's pulp paperback novel called: "Tark Adams: Space Ranger!"

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Ok, I'm wierd. Thorvald and Tark sound like good names for people tired of all the Robs, Bills, and Bruces. Hell...they sound like a webcomic when said together.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I worked on a job with a guy named Richard Johnson. Dick Johnson eh?

I have a very, very biblical name - Matthew Joseph. My mother wanted to name me Kenneth Matthew but go by Matthew since my father's name is Kenneth. But my Dad refused because a) he hates it when people plan on going by their middle names (which is ironic considering that my mother goes by her's) and b) he is Kenneth Raymond Jr. so growing up and even till his father died he was "little Kenny" and he hated it.

The worst I ever got was because my last name starts with M so I'd get "Hey M & M".

I understand people not liking their names (A Boy Named Sue) but why cry over it? I know of girls named Harley, and they're proud of their name...
                                Last edited by draftermatt; 04-16-2008, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X