This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth crazylegs View Post
    An old server would have far greater mass, and therefore stopping ability.
    Nah the CRT Monitor would be better. Sure the server is probably heavier, but CRT's hold a VERY strong electrical charge.

Monitor falls on their head, broken glass, then *BZZZZZZZZZZT* friend douchebag!
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth DannyboyO1 View Post
      My new workplace is having drills for what to do if there's an armed intruder. So much for fire and tornado drills.

The drill consists of everyone getting off the floor and into the nearest available office. Then, to ward off the gun-toting maniac, it's a three-step process.

1. Shut the door.

2. Lock the door.

3. Turn off the light.

Yes, we're engaging the equivalent of using blankets to ward off monsters in the night. Our best idea of dealing with a terrorist or worker gone postal is to seal ourselves in with no exit and cower in the dark. To fight terror.

Stupid, sure. But it's paid time off the phones, so why not appease the idiots in charge?

Now come monday, we're getting the police involved in an "armed intruder drill". The police will be sending a man in with a gun loaded with blanks to play the part of an assailant. There will be cards to mark the killed and wounded. And we're to play dead if caught.

Also part of the drill, we're not to call 911... we're to call building security... which would be the folks slain in the entryway. Yanno, to train us on what we're supposed to do in an actual emergency.

I happen to sit facing the short corridor leading to the entryway. The only way any assailant would not see me as the first target after our minimal and naturally unarmed security would be if they snuck in with the smokers and crept up the far stairwell to wreak havoc on the collections department. At the point the armed man would step into view, I'd be seated... and he'd be closer to the row of offices than I. I'd have my choice of paths to run away being no cover or no room to maneuver...

I'm an office temp doing customer service. I am, and I wish to be clear, NOT hired to participate in wargames as Civilian Casualty #3, nor does my job description entail the firing of blanks in my vicinity.

Worse, of course, if I hurl my chair at the assailant and were to subdue him? I'd be commiting assault on a police officer.

But the strangest of all? Nobody seems to grasp why, given the above... I would take the day off and ensure that I am across town getting new tires on my car rather than mess with this horribly demented and harmful plot to prepare us for slaughter.

I think I prefer thinking these guys are just nuttily misguided. The sane part of my mind that looks into repercussions thinks that if there were, say, a building manager that wanted to go postal, but insisted on checking police response times and getaway routes (perhaps having substantial insurance on the employees) before committing murder and mayhem... this would be a fairly ideal method of ensuring local law enforcement and the employees would perform predictably.

NOT call 911? just office security? Wow...office security is Waaaaay better then actual police officers trained to handle such situations. Thats the ONLY way to go.
      NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

They aren't keyboards but...

Three hole punches (not the electric ones, I mean three-paper-at-a-time, push-with-all-your-might metal contraptions) are really heavy. I dropped one on my foot once and it HURT. Against someones head, I'll bet it does some damage.

Also, if you can get it off, the arm of a paper cutter would do wonders if wielded as a machete.

If you just want to throw something heavy though, small shredders (the kind you stick on top of trash cans) are both heavy and, if one landed right, could shred skin.

Comment

Quoth Difdi View Post
          There's also the fact that given the way blank cartridges work, if you're within 10-15 feet of the shooter, the wadding has enough kinetic force to injure or even kill you, if it hits you in the right spot.
          Which happened back in the 80's to an actor by the name of Jon-Erik Hexum while clowning around on the sound stage of his tv series "Cover Up." He was only 27 years old.

Sad.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Ha, I'm in Texas, so I can technically bring a gun wherever I want, with the right permit...that is.

Also, it'd help if I had a pistol, but I have to pay for bills and stuff (you wouldn't believe how much a good pistol costs).

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
              Also, it'd help if I had a pistol, but I have to pay for bills and stuff (you wouldn't believe how much a good pistol costs).
              Considering I stopped by a local place that offers professional knife sharpening to get the tip of my pocket-knife reground (got snapped off like 2-3mm from the end) and browsed the gun-counter while I was waiting for him to get to my blade... yeah, I would.

Most expensive one on display was like $1099.95!
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                Like a lot of things, you pay for quality. Not 100% true all the time, but a pretty good rule for anything that requires precision tooling. Doing your homework helps too.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                  Considering I stopped by a local place that offers professional knife sharpening to get the tip of my pocket-knife reground (got snapped off like 2-3mm from the end) and browsed the gun-counter while I was waiting for him to get to my blade... yeah, I would.

That's actually about mid price maybe. The one my buddy wishes he could get is around 3,000 and up.
                  "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
                    That's actually about mid price maybe. The one my buddy wishes he could get is around 3,000 and up.
                    Very true... Still, for me it's one thing knowing they can cost $3,000, and another to see the object on display with the price-tag dangling from the trigger-guard.

Gimme a good, solid CZ 75bd and a thousand rounds of Hydra-Shok 147gr and I'll spend the other $2k and change on getting my car fixed up.
                    Last edited by JustADude; 11-14-2008, 06:53 AM.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                    X