Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first post was just what happened to me yesterday. (By the way, the swelling has gone done, but now there's a pink patch where the pain is. That's odd )

I've cut my left middle finger twice (in almost the same spot...there's still two cute little scars) while slicing veggies.

I've also got a cute scar (kinda C shaped) on my right ring finger from a meat slicer. They made me go to the ER for that, but I didn't need stitches. Woo hoo.

If I wanted to go into my other injuries, though, I'd have to start a thread in Off Topic, unless someone beats me to it.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

On Saturday, half the beer in the cooler fell on me. I was OK, though.
      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

This isn't as bad as some fo the other stories here, but I've got a pretty angry-looking scar on my back after I hit the corner of a shelf...while falling off of a ladder. Oops. But I haven't had anything lately, thank Gord...
        I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Seanette
          If you don't mind my asking (I seem to be a little dense today), how did you manage to fall UP stairs?
          You've never met RB, have you?

That girl can get hurt using kleenex.
          It's not that she's clumsy....well...yes, it is

I shouldn't talk, though, because I was going down the stairs at work the other day, and caught the railing bracket with my finger and bent it back so far, I thought I had broken it.
          I thought of you, RB.
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Seanette
            If you don't mind my asking (I seem to be a little dense today), how did you manage to fall UP stairs?
            Quite easily. In my cases of falling up the stairs, it usually involves misjudging the height of the steps. I didn't lift my foot high enough and splat. This is why when no one is looking I go up stairs on all fours.

Comment

Well, lets see....

When I worked at Wal-Mart many years ago, We were getting ready to board up the place as summer was about over and the outside lawn and garden area was going to be enclosed. We were moving these HUGE plywood walls around and then setting them in place. Well, the sections needed a good jolt to actually lock into place. Us, being the goofy group we were, decided to show off some of our best karate kick moves on the plywood. Dumbassed me goes to kick the stupid piece of wood and has his leg fully extended when he slams into the board. YOUCH!!!! Next day I woke up and couldn't even walk on my leg. Doctors said I had pulled my hamstring. So that was fun....therapy and light duty at work.

A friend of mine actually had it much worse at the hotel we worked at. The rooms are done up very nicely and have four glass window sections. (2 on each side of the door) When guests would lock themselves out or the lock would just break, we would have to unscrew the screws holding one of the windows in, gently grab the window....which was about 4' x 4' and about 1/2 an inch thick, and set it down somewhere so we could crawl through and unlock the door from the other side. Unfortunatley only one window had screws on the outside, and it was one that was up about chest level. Well this glass is not polished and is rough cut. This made for some very jagged edges. Well, during one of our incidents, my friend and I were doing this very trick when the glass slipped and went straight down. I managed to get out of the way, but my friend was not so lucky. It hit the back of his leg, as he fled, taking an extremly large chunck of flesh with it. It was nasty and to this day it makes me cringe just talking about it here. He had to be taken in for treatment and we found out just how lucky he was. The glass had missed his achillies tendon by a mere millimeters. That would have been soooooo bad had it struck the tendon.
              "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

Latest injury was a few months back--I got clocked in the face and shoulder with a steel bin door. Hurt like an SOB for a couple of days and I had a nice little shiner, but no permanent damage.

Most of my injuries tend to come from dull knives. I usually end up carving a chunk of my thumb off. It bleeds fairly freely, I wash it up and put on a bandaid, all done. I have worse scars from my tetanus boosters than I do the knife cuts!

Comment

Sprained my ankle while carrying cafeteria food back to the office for my boss and his boss. In a business suit, in the middle of lunch, my feet just slipped on the tile, and down I went, food flying everywhere.

It was really great when, the day after this happened, and I was hobbling around with my foot all ace bandaged up - that the cafeteria serving lady told me that I probably wouldn't have sprained my ankle if I weren't so fat. Mind you, this woman was no Heidi Klum herself and I was about 20 pounds overweight.

Ahhh... good times.... chicken fettucini with cream sauce all over my brand new suit.... good times!
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
                  --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

When I was working at the lovely (read: decrepit) discount theater in my hometown, we had an ice/pop machine that had a leak somewhere and was rotting out the wooden floor. The employees had mentioned several times to the manager that we needed to get someone in there to fix the floor. The typical response was, "I'll call the RM and let him know it needs fixed."

Well, one Friday night I was getting ready to go sweep out the auditoriums after a show had let out. Right before I left from behind concession to go clean, a lady came up to get a drink refill. I walked up to the drink machine *BANG* foot went through the floor. I pulled my foot out of the hole, got her refill taken care of, grabbed my broom and bucket, and on my way out I yell "T, I just went through the floor. You might want to be careful around the drink machine." (She was about 100lbs heavier than me, if my foot went through the floor, we would have been pulling her out of the basement)

While I was cleaning with a couple other guys, she came out and said, "I thought you were joking that you went through the floor, are you okay?" I said I was fine and went about my duties.

Worst part was, the floor was "fixed" only to rot out again 3 months later! I was not so polite when I informed her that the floor needed to be fixed correctly that time.
                    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've never had anything major injuries at work...stabbed myself with the sharp end of ink tags and ticket guns plenty of times. I've cut my shoulder open by the end of shelves--management jokingly thanks me for finding out these hazards before a customer does. Yesterday I dropped the tape dispenser (those kinds filled with sand to keep the bottom heavy) and it hit my ankle at a funny angle and it actually hurt quite a bit and I have a nice bruise from it. I seem to be constantly tripping over my own legs.

At my other job, I regulary cut myself with knives. Sometimes, you can't see what's on the bottom of the sink and I've to learn (painfully) to not just dive my hands right on in to start washing. I've burned myself with grease, on the stove (once the cookers forgot to turn off one of the stoves and I slipped on my freshly mopped floor and reach out to steady myself--right on the still blazing hot stove top. That. Hurt.), cut my forehead open when I was standing up and caught my head on the metal edge of the sink, and various other minor stupid injuries.

So, I am known as a clutz at both jobs and have had my fair of injuries. I am just grateful that I've never been injured severely.

Comment

I cracked a rib once while answering a phone... Leaned over the front desk counter from the guest side, and cracko! Boy, did that ever hurt... a deep stab that was so painful it was almost an itch. It's hard to describe, but thankfully it healed up nicely over the next few weeks.
                        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

It won't be enough merely to fix the rotted floor; you have to fix the LEAK! Stupid RM....

Let's see... I have a nice scar on my thumb from shutting it in the safe door, got a purple foot once from the 4-in-1 newspaper box falling on me (got xrays for that one, thinking it was broken), picked up the tomato slicer without first looking to see what it was and grabbed it by the blades (nice parallel cuts from that running across several fingers) but the oddest was from a bun tray. I was carrying a couple of them outside for some reason and stepped off the curb wrong, falling on them. Now, the tall ends lock together and are flat, but the sides have "teeth" an inch or so across each, and one of those scraped my shin. It hurt, but I didn't think much of it, after all, they're plastic and not at all sharp, right? Surprise! When I got home I had to *peel* my pants carefully off. It had scraped off some skin, and the blood had glued my pants leg to my, well, leg. And I hadn't even noticed.
                          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

A few.

At the country park, I was moving a dray with another worker when I got to the right position. I yelled at my divvy co-worker to stop pushing; he continued and broke my wrist.

At the garden centre, I once accidently stabbed myself in the hand with a pair of scissors while opening up a sack of pet food. Cuz everyone else there was scared of blood, I had to first aid myself.

At the supermarket, I slammed my little finger in the till... and some doofus still comes up to me, when I have a huge blood soaked tissue round my finger and am waiting for the first aider, to ask, "Are you serving?"
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Today I hit my ring finger on my left hand and HALF the knuckle is purple and swollen. What makes it even more odd is that I remember hitting my hand, but I have no idea what I hit it on.
                              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Hmm. Injuries in two and 1/2 years at Plaid.

1: Twice had hot coffee spill on my hand that were burned for weeks.

2: Had several cases of glass bottles spill and break on my back.

3: Got electroucted switching a lightbulb in the cooler.

4: Smashed my head on security camera.

5: Wasn't really hurt, but been in four-five fist fights. (... two were in self-defense...=( )

6: If i can think of others, I'll post =)
                                Military Spouse Support.
                                http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                                Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Working...
                                X