X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know you're getting old when...

1: You say "What are they teaching kids in school these days?"

A new girl started working with us a few weeks ago. Nearly 18yo bubbly and friendly with customers and seemed pretty smart... Until yeterday.

She came up to me with something in a bag.
    Young'un : "Bunny, someone left this at the till. I don't know what it is or where we keep it."

I looked in the bag.

=80 : "You're telling me that you've never seen a cauliflower before? Seriously?"

I've decided that for the rest of the week (or longer if I can get the mileage) I'm going to go up to her every shift with a different piece of fruit or veg.

"This is a carrot. CAR-ROT."
    "This is a Potato. PO-TA-TO"

2: You make a pop culture reference they could never get.

At my last store, one of the girls at work was talking about this new chocolate desert we had in, and how it was playing merry hell with her diet. I made some comment about this making her my "chocolate girl" and getting a totally blank look from her.

One of my supervisors was there "Bunny she'll never have heard of that song she's too young."

I said that was a load of rubbish and did some quick maths in my head. That song came out when I was around 13-14...

She would have been 2yo tops.

That was also the first time I ever felt like a dirty old man.

......when you put the hedge clippers in a "safe" place but then can't remember where the safe place is.
    So you finally purchase a new pair.
    Guess what you find when you go to put the new ones away in a 'safe' place?

Or the classic.......
    looking high and low for the reading glasses until someone points them out on top of your head.

Comment

Or you walk into a room and suddenly can't remember why you were in there?
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I once spent 20 minutes looking for my glasses...

I was wearing them.

What's worse is my prescription is more than +8 diopters for each eye. I literally can't see my hand in front of my face if I'm not wearing them

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one with CRS - Can't Remember Shit!
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

This Bunny was on her cell phone the other day yacking to my friend as I was getting ready to leave work.

I ended up tearing my purse apart, emptying my lunch bag and even rechecking my desk when my boss finally asked me "What the heck are you doing??"

"Looking for my cell obviously"

Both him and my friend started laughing unmercifully. It literally took me 30 seconds to realize why.

*headdesk*

Oh and explaining Ozzy to someone? That was a fun convo.
            Today was going to be just one of those days...you know, full of zombies.

Comment

In regards to the first story, one of our coworkers when he first started didn't know what a lime was
              Aaaand I am so glad that we get tested weekly on various produce. (we get the obscure and the not-so-obscure)
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I say you know you're old when you think "Time For Me To Fly" is a song by REO Speedwagon and not the Jonas Brothers.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I never believed my parents when they said they had trouble remembering their age, and had to calculate forward from their birthdates.

Until I turned 22, and couldn't remember either!

This year I'm...um...let's see, 1982...27!

*facepalm*

eta: and no, i'm not silly enough to think that 27 is old. I just *feel* old sometimes.
                  "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
                    In regards to the first story, one of our coworkers when he first started didn't know what a lime was Aaaand I am so glad that we get tested weekly on various produce. (we get the obscure and the not-so-obscure)
                    Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are. But I have to admit I didn't know what they were until a couple of months ago.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are. But I have to admit I didn't know what they were until a couple of months ago.
                      That is all kinds of fail

Hasn't she heard all the puns with leeks? (i.e. "Did you spring a leak?")

Actually, what I have found is that the things we all have the most trouble with are the most common as well...grapes, apples and lettuce.

Comment

And yet a couple more pop-cultural references that prove you're too old to be trusted...

You know the songs, Personal Jesus, Tainted Love, and Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)... and know who they were done by (hint it wasn't Marilyn Manson.)

You get most of the pop cultural Jokes on Family Guy, not becuase they're wacky and random... but because you saw them the first time around.

When VH1's I love the (insert anything but 90's here) makes you yearn for the days of things like Roos, TMNT, Thundercats, and G.I. Joe (COOOOOOOBRA!), in their original formats. (yes formats, two were comic books as well. )

You know that Cat with Catsup is a Melmakian delicacy.

you laughed at Cartoon All Stars... when it was on TV...

uhm... you remember Bush being president....the one that drove Iraq from Kuwait, not the one that went into Iraq...or even better remember him as VP...and get out your cane if you remember him as the CIA director.

you can complete the following jingle... A sprinkle a day helps...

you remember SNL when it was Funny... and MAD TV when it was In Living Color...

and to top it all off you know what I'm talking about when I say, CLarissa Explains it All, Ren and Stimpy, Roundhouse and finally.... Are you afraid of the dark.

*sighs* and as for not knowing pop culture and being complete morons go...

Two jobs ago (security for a distribution center) I had someone on both shifts I was on who was a) older than me and b) was there almost the same amount of time who knew none of those things, and was like having someone who was constantly in training unless you put him on the right job.

Yet he still beat the guy who got fired in one month when I had to take over the shift he was on as Supe.... maybe I'll tell that story some other time.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                          Every time I bring leeks to the cash register @ Walmart, the cashier has to ask what they are.
                          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth bunnyboy View Post
                            And yet a couple more pop-cultural references that prove you're too old to be trusted...

You know the songs, Personal Jesus, Tainted Love, and Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)... and know who they were done by (hint it wasn't Marilyn Manson.)
                            I know the last two, can't remember who sings Tainted Love, but I remember that Sweet Dreams was done by The Eurhythmics. And I'm only 18

Does that make me old?

Comment

There are lots of ways to know you're getting old.

You're getting old when:

A spirited Watusi and Frug at a block party makes you roll out of bed in agony the next morning and has you hobbling around for a week.

In the 1980s, you hear a young woman at a bus stop say to her friend, "I just found out the neatest thing. Did you know that Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings?"

Your co-workers know the Muppets only from Sesame Street and the Muppet Show. They ask you if the Muppets were ever on SNL? Yes, they were but they were never called the Muppets. The segment was called "Dregs and Vestiges" and only lasted for about 10 weeks. Oh, the colors and the lights!

You look at an historical series of books for children. The blanket title is, "If You Lived in the Times of (fill in the blank)". Most of these books deal with historical figures such as Elizabeth I, Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and the like. I got a real shock when I saw the title devoted to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Shoot! I heard Dr. King speak at my college and it was in an intimate student lounge setting. To me, his life and death remain current events. I shook the man's hand and poured him a cup of tea.

Perhaps my Mom said it best. She said that you know you're getting old when your Doctors start dying.
                              Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X