This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime

What should I do if the crappy retail place I work isn't paying me the overtime that I am legally entitled to? I had this issue last Christmas, when I was asked to work in the warehouse for a few shifts one week... silly me though that being scheduled for over 40 hours in a week would result in me being payed time and a half just because that is what they legally have to pay me according to Manitoba law. I complained to my manager 4 or 5 times, then looked in the employee handbook. It says "Overtime will only be paid unless Authorized by the General Manager" (underline is their emphasis, not mine). Eventually I just decided to drop it because I didn't have authorization from the GM, I was just asked by my manager to work those shifts and said "sure," even though I still have my pay stub showing I worked over 84 hours in two weeks, therefore at least 44 hours one of those two weeks, and 44 is a bigger number than 40. So I figure they owe me between $15 and $20 of the "and a half" part of overtime.

Fast forward a few months to today. Last week I was working in the warehouse and on 2 occaisions was asked to stay a few (probably 10-15) minutes to finish the painting I was doing. This week I worked a 12-9 shift (with an hour lunch off the clock so technically it's only 8 hours), but since we are required to be at the till 5 minutes before the shift starts (per the owner), I clocked in around 11:53 or so. And, since we can't cash out until the customers leave (you know SC's still shop at 9:01), and after we are done cashing out we still have to put away all the returns from the day, I wound up punching out around 9:35. And I have one of those feelings that my next paycheck (the 23rd) will not have the time and a half on it for those 40ish minutes I worked on cash or those 2x15ish minutes painting. Overall, it's a difference of about $3-4, and part of me wants to be the "good worker" who takes crap from the company and it will pay off one day because of my good attitude (even though it won't) and another part of me wants to say "F*** them, I should get what I am legally entitled to"

So, what should I do in this situation? I know $3 isn't much of a difference either way, but I am sick of getting screwed out of overtime pay. But, on the other hand, I don't want management to hate me for complaining? What should I do?
    free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

I would call or write a letter to payroll. You're supposed to get paid for all hours worked including overtime.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Comment

I'd double check the overtime laws. I don't know about Manitoba, but in Alberta, its only after 44 hours in a week, so if you had say 43 hours both weeks, that would be 86, but not qualify for overtime. However, more than 8 hours a day, you should get that. If its not on there, start complaining.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
      X