Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The recession is over huh? Then why...

...am I working TWO jobs and barely getting enough hours between both to get by?

In both cases, my salaried managers are getting worked to the bone while the hourly wagers like myself are barely scraping by due to corporate payroll cuts. At one of the jobs, the ENTIRE staff save the manager got 10 hours a week cut from their schedule. That's a bill payment or two knocked off my check, just like that.

Frustrating to be working so hard and bringing home so little.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Unfortunately, I'd say get used to it.

It seems to me when things are taken away or hours are cut due to a "bad economy" or some other reason, those things don't come back when the economy turns around again.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      Unfortunately, I'd say get used to it.

It seems to me when things are taken away or hours are cut due to a "bad economy" or some other reason, those things don't come back when the economy turns around again.
      Yeah, it often ends up that way. Or it takes a very long time for them to come back. Basically the economy has to be booming again (like in the late '90s) and companies have no choice but to add man hours to keep up with consumer demand.

Comment

Even though the recession is over, growth is very weak, meaning conditions are not much improved from the worst they got. And although there is growth, many companies are still struggling. Even companies that aren't stuggling are still being very cautious.
        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

The recession is over? since when?
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The US recession ended in June 2009. The definition of recession is a period of negative GDP growth. Just because growth becomes positive again doesn't mean the problems immediately end, unfortunately. And growth has been so sluggish that there is no real recovery.

Comment

I'd like to know when the recession ever started, as I hardly have seen anything to do with it in my area. Maybe a few weeks where my hours were cut but not by a great big deal or anything.

It could just be my area, but everyone seems to have been spending the same amount or more in the last few years.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

I've seen the effect at my job...we had quite a few layoffs happen because of it. And they froze our wages, they even cut them by a little bit. Quit doing 401k matches. Stuff like that.

But in general society it seems like people are out spending as far as I can tell.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                  I've seen the effect at my job...we had quite a few layoffs happen because of it. And they froze our wages, they even cut them by a little bit. Quit doing 401k matches. Stuff like that.

But in general society it seems like people are out spending as far as I can tell.
                  Same here - at the library job, we had small pay cuts, a freeze on cost-of-living increases, and full-time staff members "have" to take a specific amount of unpaid furlough time. I know there's other stuff which affected everyone who works for the city, but since most of that doesn't apply to part-timers, it hasn't affected me that much.

And with the secretary job, some issues have been going on with the church even before the recession had started, but it's definitely the reason why I'll no longer be working there after tomorrow.

Comment

A lot of my company's industry was hit hard.

I know that some of our competitors stopped accruing vacation time or allowing it to be taken.

My company, however, didn't get hit much at all for a variety of reasons particular to our operation.

But, as Cinema Guy says, a cessation of shrinkage does not equal growth.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Cinema tends to do well during recession - it is a (relatively) cheap night out.

The company I work for has still cut hours and kept pay rises to the absolute minimum.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                        Cinema tends to do well during recession - it is a (relatively) cheap night out.
                        Not around here it isn't it's cheaper to pay for cable and netflix and enjoy movies at home for me.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                          Not around here it isn't it's cheaper to pay for cable and netflix and enjoy movies at home for me.
                          That's pretty much true everywhere, but that isn't a night out.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                            That's pretty much true everywhere, but that isn't a night out.
                            True.....I don't have many nights out

Comment

I had a 25% pay cut at the start of the year to help the company. I hope things turn around soon.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
                              X