X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Day in the Life of an IT Contractor

A Day in the Life of an IT Contractor

Friday - Get as much sleep as you can. Wake around 9.30pm. Shower, get dressed. Grab the tool satchel, which was packed & checked earlier. It contains all the tools of the trade. Be out the door by 10.30pm, no later.

Friday 11.30pm - Arrive at the data center. Intercom the security office to lower the barrier. Pull in, and find a place to park. Check in with security, and get your site ID. Head to the pantry, eat breakfast, and take care of any other personal stuff. Wait for the first van load of servers to come in.

Friday Midnight - Head to the server rooms and do as much prep work as you can based on the paperwork you have. Remove blanking panels, Put in rail kits as needed, etc...

Saturday 1am - Hear the radio announce the arrival of the first van. Grab your crap and head to the loading dock. Press the big green OPEN button on the roll door control, and wave the van in. With the aid of your coworkers, unload the van, sorting servers onto carts according to destination room.

Saturday 1.20am - Grab a cart, and a few coworkers. Swipe back into the secure area, and begin taking servers off the cart, and racking them in their predetermined positions. Invent some new colorful swear words when someone sets a 4U server down on your toe.

Saturday 4am - Install the last server of the evening. This one will always give you problems, and take three times longer than it should to install. Perform all your QA work, such as ensuring that all blanking panels are in place, unused panels go back to storage, and nothing is left on the floor. Say good morning to the new security shift, sign out, and go home; pull out of the parking lot by 5am.

Saturday 6am - Arrive home. Stumble up the stairs. Go to bed.

Saturday 9am - Wake up. Breakfast. Shower. Out the door by 10.

Saturday 11am - Arrive back at the bitfarm. Check back in with security.

Saturday 12am - Several of your coworkers have gotten bored, and gone across the street for better coffee. Buy a packet of Pop Taarts from the Vend-o, then curse the lack of a toaster in the pantry.

Saturday 2pm - The van with the servers on it finally arrives. Radio your coworkers (who are across the street at the Dunks) to high tail it back to work. Go to the loading dock, and repeat the offloading and sorting procedure. Swipe in to the secure area, and start racking servers.

Saturday 7pm - Leave the data center.

Saturday 8pm - Arrive home. Eat. Shower. Bed.

Doesn't sound too bad, except for the swing from working during the night to working during the day, with only 8 hours in between.

I was sort of expecting the 'receive servers that aren't for this site' and 'receive servers. In pieces.' parts.

Comment

Sounds like my weekends actually, cept we don't have blanking panels, and our servers arrive via UPS lol.

(I work 3rd shift home by 0630 and have been called at 0800 to make a nice remote hands trip whee..
      Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
      pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

I only eat Pop Tarts cold.

Does that make me odd?
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
          I was sort of expecting the 'receive servers that aren't for this site' and 'receive servers. In pieces.' parts.

I have yet to see a server come in in bits. They get pulled from a rack in CITY and go right ot us in OTHER CITY, so...

Just thought. I'd share that.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post

Does that make me odd?
            I can't recall if I've ever actually toasted a Pop Tart....

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

They are perfectly good cold. But they are ooooooooh soooo goooood if you just lightly toast them. Just enough to warm them up. The fake fruit filler goes all gooey and delightful.

Comment

Quoth Hanzoku View Post
                Doesn't sound too bad, except for the swing from working during the night to working during the day, with only 8 hours in between.
                wait
                Quoth RestaurantDude
                Saturday 6am - Arrive home. Stumble up the stairs. Go to bed.

Saturday 9am - Wake up. Breakfast. Shower. Out the door by 10.
                6am to 9am is 3 hours, not 8 hanz...
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post

Does that make me odd?
                  When they made watermelon pop tarts, I used to love eating them clod with a big dollop of Cool Whip on top.

Recently I had some orange creamsicle-or-something pop tarts. They were really good. Now I can't find them any more.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Recently I had some orange creamsicle-or-something pop tarts. They were really good. Now I can't find them any more.
                    I'm pretty sure we still have them where I work.

Make me an offer.

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      I can't recall if I've ever actually toasted a Pop Tart....
                      I used to. Then I grew up and got lazy.

Quoth RestaurantDude View Post
                      They are perfectly good cold. But they are ooooooooh soooo goooood if you just lightly toast them. Just enough to warm them up. The fake fruit filler goes all gooey and delightful.
                      Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I somehow missed those. *pout*
                      Unseen but seeing
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                        wait

6am to 9am is 3 hours, not 8 hanz...
                        Reading comprehension... I has none.

Comment

Lizziebeff bought me the orange creamsicle pop tarts.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Unseen but seeing
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                          X