This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started a new job today...

And I'm quitting tomorrow. Yeah, that was quick.

Back to the world of pizza delivery, this time for a Domino's franchise. Except 10 years ago I was making $6.50 an hour doing this, they're trying to give me $5.15. 10 years ago, delivery was free. Today? $2.50, and I don't see a penny of it, but the customer is told otherwise.

10 years ago, the concept of random drug testing in a pizza place was laughable. Today it's real, and the GM assured me that they really do test people regularly, along with regular vehicle searches.

10 years ago, I actually made a good living doing delivery.

My "trainer" is a late 40s/early 50s chain smoker. Smokers don't usually bother me much, but I could barely breath in his car. His car is a 2008 or 2009, and in far far worse shape than my 1999 - my 1999 has 3x the miles and 9 or 10 years extra. He was also doing 50+ on residential streets, 70+ on the main drag in that town (35 mph is the highest speed limit in the town).

I saw some absolutely disgusting things going on in that kitchen tonight that I've never seen before. Things such as people going out to smoke cigarettes and not washing their hands before handling food. People licking their fingers while handling food. I didn't quite see food getting dropped and served anyway, but damn close.

My trainer also informed me that they regularly make people work off the clock, and sometimes adjust hours after people have left.

So I'm going to go in tomorrow, hand in the uniform, tell them the job isn't a good fit for me, and that I'd rather work for an ethical employer.

Worse than that. Call the health department.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I was wondering what had happened to Bean Weren't you going to go on a road trip...did you do that? What's your living situation now?
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Living with family at the moment. Road trip never did happen.

Anyway, I plan to call the health dept on Monday. I've also contacted Domino's corporate about this guy's driving, when I turned in my uniform today the manager on duty didn't seem to give 2 shits about my complaints, nor did the GM last night (the MOD today wouldn't give me the # for the safety hotline, and they wouldn't give me a paper copy of the employee handbook when I started).

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
          Anyway, I plan to call the health dept on Monday. I've also contacted Domino's corporate about this guy's driving, when I turned in my uniform today the manager on duty didn't seem to give 2 shits about my complaints, nor did the GM last night (the MOD today wouldn't give me the # for the safety hotline, and they wouldn't give me a paper copy of the employee handbook when I started).
          Classy place. You're well rid of them.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Very classy. Scary thing is, they own most of the Domino's locations in the area.

I've already gotten an email back from corporate, I've been promised they'll "investigate the matter". Typical reply and about all I can hope for, really, but I didn't expect to hear back the same day (especially on a Sunday). They gave me a case number as well, so I'm going to assume they actually are going to look into it.

Comment

Oh they will, for their own self-protection and cover-up. One would get more accurate information from Dr. Mengers about a piranha problem.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                And I'm quitting tomorrow. Yeah, that was quick.

Back to the world of pizza delivery, this time for a Domino's franchise. Except 10 years ago I was making $6.50 an hour doing this, they're trying to give me $5.15. 10 years ago, delivery was free. Today? $2.50, and I don't see a penny of it, but the customer is told otherwise.
                you are lucky that they offered you that much of a base wage. a LOT of companies are going for even LOWER wages for drivers. some of the Big3 are currently paying/trying to lower the driver wage to around $4 per hour with tip credit thrown in.

almost ALL of the major pizza places NOW pay well under minumum wage to drivers.

as for the DC and the driver NOT getting any of that ---- that is quite common

10 years ago, the concept of random drug testing in a pizza place was laughable. Today it's real, and the GM assured me that they really do test people regularly, along with regular vehicle searches.
                not sure why this is happening but I suspect for insurance liability and premeium lowering purposes. my franchise only does testing IF there is an obvious "problem" going on OR if any type of reportable or medically treatable accident occurs such as a car accident or any type of workmen's comp accident happens such as moderate cuts, burns, slips, falls, etc.

Not sure why they would be doing regular vehicle searches. Weapons problem maybe????

10 years ago, I actually made a good living doing delivery.
                Unfortuneately those days are neary gone

My "trainer" is a late 40s/early 50s chain smoker.
                <snip>
                He was also doing 50+ on residential streets, 70+ on the main drag in that town (35 mph is the highest speed limit in the town).
                HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!!! an accident or killing waiting to happen. since he feels he can get away with this I suspect the local cops just look the other way. I may push the speed limit a little but that is just crazy and stupid. I hope he has REALLY good insurance (but then if he had an accident or runs down someone the insurance company will drop him retroactively for reckless driving PLUS tons of things the cops WILL NOT be able to ignore resulting in lots of tickets and citations that not be a pleasent experience for him).

I saw some absolutely disgusting things going on in that kitchen tonight that I've never seen before. Things such as people going out to smoke cigarettes and not washing their hands before handling food. People licking their fingers while handling food. I didn't quite see food getting dropped and served anyway, but damn close.
                OMG!!!!!!! health dept call NOW

My trainer also informed me that they regularly make people work off the clock, and sometimes adjust hours after people have left.
                call the llocal or state labor board NOW. report this ASAP

So I'm going to go in tomorrow, hand in the uniform, tell them the job isn't a good fit for me, and that I'd rather work for an ethical employer.
                good call
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Glad you're ditching and reporting them for all the shady and illegal stuff that's going on, Bean. Any updates yet on a new job search?
                  I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                  Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                  Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

In response to the being told that working off the clock and retroactive time adjustments is a reality, you might want to mention that to the US Department of Labor, Wage and Hour division. They normally deal with complaints directly from workers after the fact, but I'm sure they'll be interested in investigating something that might be going unreported.

DoL WHD: 1-866-4-US-WAGE
                    OSHA: 1-800-321-OSHA

(Two easy to remember numbers that every American hourly worker should know.)
                    "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                    "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                    My MySpace
                    My LiveJournal

Comment

Hey Bean. Good to see you again.
                      The situation there sounds unreal. Good luck finding an ethical workplace. :/

Comment

Quoth SuperDan View Post
                        In response to the being told that working off the clock and retroactive time adjustments is a reality, you might want to mention that to the US Department of Labor, Wage and Hour division. They normally deal with complaints directly from workers after the fact, but I'm sure they'll be interested in investigating something that might be going unreported.
                        I do plan to call the DoL, but I'm waiting to get my paycheck. Even though the place does claim tip credit wages, at least here, they still have to make up the difference to $7.25/hr if you're working in production or otherwise not receiving tips. I didn't take a single delivery and mostly made pizzas and answered phones, and the pre-hire paperwork I signed stated that they were required to make up the difference.

I have a funny feeling my check will be showing $5/hr and will be short some hours. It should have a total of ~8 hours.

In other news, I have an interview with Amazon.com tomorrow afternoon. $10.75/hour working as an order puller. Haven't worked as a puller before, but I have done warehouse work (UPS) and I'm no stranger to pallet jacks or forklifts (had to work with both at the grocery store). I'm also going to be dropping off an application at a local college - think it's time I resume working on a degree.

Comment

Ooh. Good luck with both the DoL situation and the interview.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That "interview" was a clusterfuck. I'm going to make another thread about it though.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                              I do plan to call the DoL, but I'm waiting to get my paycheck.
                              Call the DoL, and make a supplementary call/followup email when you get your paycheck.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X