Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No,we're NOT going to donate...wait,you wanna spend how much?!? (kinda long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No,we're NOT going to donate...wait,you wanna spend how much?!? (kinda long)

This is NOT an anti-religion/church post,it's an anti-comittee post

prices are 1979

Many years ago when I worked selling pianos & organs one of the things I & all the other salesmen in town hated was dealing with churches.6,8,12 people comin' into the store,they all had little notepads & would take up our time for a coupla hours askin' silly questions: "Will you deliver it? "Well,duh,yeah" "How much electricty does it use?" "Depends on how much you play it" "How much is that?"

It was always the biggest,fanciest in the store (I should find a pic of the one we had) but in the end we always knew there would come The Question:

"Will you donate it to us?"

My boss at my 1st store told me not to even talk to 'em,if they wanted to buy they'd pull out the checkbook.Almost 5 years of seein' this pattern & I could see 'em comin' down the sidewalk.

So when the 5 people come in lookin' for an organ at the mall store I take 'em to an old (even for that time) Hammond M-3 for $250 & say "That's all I got"

"We were looking for something bigger"

So I wave my hand over at the 'church' organ that we considered 'our never gonna sell' piece & say "That's our largest."

"How much is it?"

"$3000"

'We were thinking about 15"

"Hundred?"

"Thousand"

I realize THIS MAN"S SERIOUS!!!

So I compose myself & say "I'm sorry,but we have nothing that fits your needs,have you looked at the Allens?"

Turned out they'd been talkin' to the Allen-a wholesaler to churches & theaters- rep (I knew him,good guy) & they liked the 3 manual,64 speakers model they had.So I told them to get it,they couldn't go wrong & the rep would take good care of them.

Nice commision on that one,wish I'da got it
    Last edited by Frantic Freddie; 11-17-2010, 01:11 AM.
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

dude. Even nowadays, you'd have to go to someplace like Los Angeles or New York City to get something like that! 15k? that's like... 50+ now... right? I know back then 10k for a house was reasonable... /born after 1979
    ._______. At least they wanted it to sound pretty for God...
    Also, I can see how the parade would get tiresome after a while. It's almost like being Sysiphus.
    EDIT: sounds like they wanted one of those huge, bazillion pipes, change the structure of the church type of organs.
    Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 11-17-2010, 02:34 AM.
    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Ah the charity beggars. When I worked for *hotel*, the folks who called up, gushing about our hotel and service, always were the donation-seekers. I'm sure many of them were very worthwhile charities and I understand that's how they garner local support. BUT. It does get old after a while and we were trying to conduct business and avoid going under. Our GM took multiple calls daily. I can't imagine how frustrating it is to have your commission/paycheck and time used up on people who are not only unwilling to buy, they want you to give stuff away.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

wow. they had 15K to spend on an organ? holy crap.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edfsC6WrdlI

Sums it up perfectly

Comment

I can't believe I beat Sheldons to this, but do I understand your customers were not happy with the size of your organ?
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Trust me,after almost 5 years in music stores I've heard all the jokes
              "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

So you noted that it was pitched flat...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X