This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dear Sirs:"

Really? In this age of gender equality you're still addressing your letters "Dear Sirs"? Do I need to point out the irony that you're using this form of address on a letter sent to an office that doesn't include even a single male employee? What do you think it says about your life insurance company that you're addressing letters to "Sirs" when you must know that women tend to live longer and be employed longer than men? What's wrong with "To Whom it May Concern" or "To My Current Retirement Account Custodian or Trustee"?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

The proper salutation to use when unsure who will read your letter, according to Miss Manners last I checked, is
    Dear Sir or Madam:

Comment

"sir or ma'am" is what i use

Comment

It would be one thing if this was a hand-typed letter - the misogyny of one employee. But this is on a form that hasn't been updated since 1997 (according to the revision date at the bottom). I don't recall this being considered appropriate even in 1997.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          "sir or ma'am" is what i use
          are you addressing the Queen?

ma'am
          also maam , 1660s, colloquial shortening of madam . Formerly the ordinary respectful form of address to a married woman; later restricted to the queen, royal princesses, or by servants to their mistresses.

Ma'am=5 characters
          Madam=5 characters

Plus some might find it sexist or offensive to shorten the respectful title for the woman but not the man.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
            It would be one thing if this was a hand-typed letter - the misogyny of one employee. But this is on a form that hasn't been updated since 1997 (according to the revision date at the bottom). I don't recall this being considered appropriate even in 1997.
            It wasn't. Hell, I was in high school in the 70's and they were teaching us then to start with "Dear Sir or Madam."

OT, I love your icon. I don't know the character but the facial expression is just so perfect for so much of what we encounter that ends up posted on this site.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ok..offtopic slightly, but by now people should know about my random thoughts...here is the thought that went through my head for a letter from a company.

Youse, yeah youse .. right there,
              Hey, we's got a deal youse can't refuse right here. So heres whats youse is gonna do. Youse is gonna put the money for this here wonderful product in a plain unmarked bag. Youse is gonna throw said bag into the river over here. When we gets the money the product will be released..I mean sent to youse. Capish?

Us truely,
              You knows who we are.

No..I am not weird at all..why are you looking at me that way?
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I've actually started using simply "Hello". I know it's not perfect manners, but it's very logical and conversational and I figured it might help me stand out about.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

You could, technically, start off with "To Whom This May Concern". But then it gives the impression that you didn't research where you should be sending your letter.

However, that is what I was taught in my business classes back in High School during my Junior/Senior years of High School. (Which about be 1988-1990).

Comment

As somebody else said I've always made an effort to research the company prior to writing a letter so I can tailor it to the person I'm sending it to. On the other hand I don't get bent out of shape if i receive a letter started Dear Sir. Maybe it's because for the longest time I've lived in a world where my friends are are gender neutral. I've often gone into places where my male friends are referred to as m'am. And this is with baggy sweats, ball cap and five-o'clock shadow. We've given up correcting people especially when its a five minute interaction with the counter guy at popeyes chicken or a thirty second transaction at the corner store for a pack of smokes. It's the manscaped eyebrows or the dancers body, who knows. Either way when it comes down to brass tacks doesnt the content of the letter mean more than the salutation?

Comment

Political Correctness is one of those ideas that started out good, then grew into .. something else.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Political correctness isn't politically correct.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

When I was a child, back in the dark ages, my mother would use "To Whom it May Concern:" for most things, but "Dear Sirs," for a complaint letter.

"After all," she reasoned, "who but men could mess things up?" I'm glad I did NOT stick to her ways!
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Yyyeahh... 'political correctness' is a term made up by people who think it's stupid to be sensitive to what people want to be called. Don't use it when you're describing that sensitivity as a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X