This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried about this

There have been customers that come through to buy beer that act, well, a little silly, but I don't know if they were drunk or not.

I don't have a very good sense of smell, and so, I can't "smell alcohol" on people. This one woman was acting like a lunatic one night and the other people that were there said she reeked of liquor, but I couldn't smell anything at all!

I also can't really tell the difference between drunken behavior and SC behavior unless people are stumbling around or having trouble walking or something like that.

I'm not supposed to sell to people who are drunk already, but how am I supposed to know if they are?

What if I sell to someone and my manager said they smelled of alcohol, will they even believe me if I say I didn't smell anything?

if you are unsure, call over a manager and get their assesment on the state of the people, if your manager gets whiney about it, remind them of the fines they could inccur

drunk people usually may have slurred speech, glazed eyes with dilated pupils and will rock from side to side...

they also arnt in the sharpest state mind so ask them, have you been drinking tonight, you may just catch them out
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Normally you can tell in their actions. Like Kiwi said, the slurred speach, glazed eyes and dilated pupils, and rocking from side to side. A few other things to watch for, having a harder time walking then most people (not like a disability but more like they think they are walking normal but tend to stumble or walk into things). Comprehension gets reduced so they will have a harder time answering simple questions and tend to run off on tangents. also a lot of people will get real red in the face if they are drunk. Also another thing to watch for is what type of booze are they buying and the time of day. If they are buying a bottle of bombay saphire then I would bet that there is less of a chance of them being drunk versus if they were buying a 40oz of Old English. But when in doubt, ask your manager. Ultimately its your ass if you make the call, when you get your manager to if you aren't sure then you are covered.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight
        Comprehension gets reduced so they will have a harder time answering simple questions and tend to run off on tangents. also a lot of people will get real red in the face if they are drunk.

I go off on tangents for no reason at all. Plus I still have managed to keep my ability to blush, and my face flushes for no reason. The reason I'm mentioning this? I seldom drink, and even more rarely get drunk.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine
          I go off on tangents for no reason at all. Plus I still have managed to keep my ability to blush, and my face flushes for no reason. The reason I'm mentioning this? I seldom drink, and even more rarely get drunk.
          The flushing of the face and neck is a fairly common occurence in alot of people (it doesnt mean that the person is drunk or even had a drink though). The tangent thing would be more like just mindless drivil, when you're drunk you loose your inhibitions and this is one of the things that makes you think before you speak (again some people are just assholes and are like this normally) but it will also normally amplify the personallity (some will be all lovey dovey, while others get meaner).
          I wouldn't say to use just one sign, but to look for combo's of several to make a determination.
          My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Lots of people have flushed faces, so I can't really tell by that, and lots of people act like total idiots too. The only way I know for sure is if they're stumbling around.

I'll have to listen for the slurred speech, but then I'm not sure if I could tell that either unless it was really bad.

Comment

is that person having way too much fun? Then s/he's probably drunk!
              Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Working...
              X