Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh oohh...I smell bad co owners with sucky customers and badly behaved kids on the side. And a hot apple pie.

Comment

This... is all going to end in tears, isn't it?

I'm an evil bastard.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Dilorenzo View Post
        Unfair... you didn't even leave it at a cliffhanger. We haven't even gotten to the cliff. There aren't even any hills around.

You have left us in the middle of a plain, and we are confused in which direction to start walking!
        Go East. You will find a large white house with a boarded up front door and a mailbox. Check the mailbox before going around back to find an open window. Enter the house though the window. Don't go upstairs before finding a lantern, or else you may be eaten by a Grue.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          Pokemon's MewTwo I'm guessing.
          Oh. I missed the whole Pokeman thing, no young kids at that point, and I wasn't in the U.S., so didn't get quite as much exposure - the UK was more obsessed with Telly Tubbies around that time, I think.

There was a muppet type Christmas show, where the toys were alive - the cat toy was named Mew, and when the cat got another toy the second Christmas, it was named Mew Too.
          Last edited by Merriweather; 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
            Go East. You will find a large white house with a boarded up front door and a mailbox. Check the mailbox before going around back to find an open window. Enter the house though the window. Don't go upstairs before finding a lantern, or else you may be eaten by a Grue.
            Zork FTW!

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
              Oh. I missed the whole Pokeman thing, no young kids at that point, and I wasn't in the U.S., so didn't get quite as much exposure - the UK was more obsessed with Telly Tubbies around that time, I think.
              Trust me the US was obsessed with Teletubbies too. I grew to hate those creatures.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                I think I love you

MOAR STORIES NOW PLZ - can't wait to hear how this all went!
                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                What's the difference?
                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Part Five

So I make sure to get there early, get the whole place cleaned up and looking awesome. Of course when you have your money out there, it's a totally different thing. Normally working the store doesn't stress me out. I didn't have to worry about making booth rent. But now I was a bundle of nerves. I was even more OCD than normal. I straightened my room after every customer. And of course I didn't sell anything. I sold a ton of everyone else's stuff though. The whole first month was abysmal. It didn't help that I had Mom and Gma alternating between praising me for helping them out by having a toy shop and them harassing me about how terrible of a seller I was.

I got so tired and depressed, I started dreading working my 6 days a month. I made sure my shop was immaculate and did everything that was asked of me. I double and triple checked my prices. I had finished 3 twin size quilts and hung them on the walls. They were hand quilted and marked at $65 each. Of course they didn't sell. Quilting gave me something to take my mind off of the fact that I wasn't selling anything, so I began sewing like a fiend. I was going in late at night at the end of the month to do inventory - which caused criticism from the co-owners at the meetings. They called me a bean-counter and said I needed to learn how to relax and then maybe customers would want to buy my things. I could understand maybe on the days I was working sure - but when I wasn't there? It sounded a bit fishy to me. I was honestly starting to think that this was a very bad idea.

And then Christmas happened.
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Those Co-owners sound interesting. Almost as if they are blaming the renters for the suck of their own failures.
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      And then Christmas happened.
                      /flaaaaaaaaaaiiiil

KANA WHERE IS THE REST /pout
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Part Six

I should mention that this tourist town really does an awesome Christmas set up. People come from neighboring states for this. This once sleepy store is crammed, and I really mean crammed full of people. They bought anything that wasn't nailed down. Every nativity scene that Mom and Gma had out for sale had the baby Jesus stolen out of it. I had never seen the store so busy before. And of course they were all buying toys. It got to the point where I was reordering weekly to keep my little room stocked. Still those 3 quilts were on display, but I sold all of my $20 baby quilts. In spite of all the sales, my room was still neat. It would look pawed and picked through, but never completely trashed.

I was beyond happy. Every time I came in to work or restock, everyone wanted to talk to me. I had people ordering quilts, having me set aside toys for them to pick up later, the whole nine yards. I was happy to oblige of course. Little did I know how much trouble this would cause for myself later. Despite the fact that everyone did well over Christmas, the other shop owners were upset that the "tacky toy room" did so well.

Meanwhile I was happily looking into more kinds of toys to stock my tiny shop with.

(And yes for those wondering, we did find my wedding ring again. Hubs wonders why I keep it at home in a drawer now.)

Comment

adsjkfashfkjs Kana. NO FAIR.

Glad you eventually found your ring though. Where was it?
                          By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

How is that not fair? It was a happy chapter.

Ring was in the pocket of my painting pants. The same pockets I had searched over and over, and even washed repeatedly.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                              /flaaaaaaaaaaiiiil

KANA WHERE IS THE REST /pout
                              Not so funny when someone else does it, eh? I guess the foot's on the other hand now...
                              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Part Seven

After the holiday rush, I was still surprisingly busy. I guess once word got out that I was the only toy store in town. Most people either went to the small local Walmart or drove 45 minutes to the city. I was expecting a slump in business, but the locals loved me. It was around this time that a group of 5 ladies rented a room to sell cheap costume jewelry. I honestly don't think they sold anything over $10. They painted their room lime green and pepto pink and it hurt my eyes to go in there. They also spent a ton of money putting ads in both the local and city paper. So naturally we had lots of people in to check them out as well.

Unfortunately with the way the store was laid out, their room was around a corner from the sales counter. They had a massive theft problem. So of course our meeting that month was about not just sitting behind the counter all day, but getting up and walking around the store and talking to people. No big deal because I already do that. Of course the other shop owners really didn't care - as long as there was someone else to occupy the shoplifter's attention.

Also around that time Mom and Gma had a strange toothless older lady that was stealing their (overpriced) old world Christmas ornaments. These were bought sometime in the early 90's (this was now 2003). They were huge and gaudy-looking and averaged around $75 retail each. They made a fantastic display, but never sold well. (For those wondering, we're still trying to sell them at Really Big Craft Fair for $15 each with no luck.) They pressed charges, got her banned from the store and a repayment judgment made.

Also due to my Christmas rush, Health Issues Lady took offense with the fact that I was selling stuffed animals. Despite the fact that before we opened I asked her, got her approval and even ordered from companies she didn't do business with. Now it was a huge problem. Of course everyone else sided with her, so we put our stuffed animals on sale to clear them out.

This only set precedent for the other shop owners to start bullying.

Comment

Working...
                                X