Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted elsewhere here about problems with music at my workplace. The problems haven't gone away because unfortunately the manager can't be there every day, throughout all the shifts ... and when she's not there, and the guys are, the music gets louder (though not as bad as before) and ... it's just not my type.

And when we closed, on my last shift, they decided to put their rap back on while they cashed out. Ugh.

Almost makes me glad I don't have a lot of hours there.

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
    My store is signed on to some satellite music chain.

And then plays a country station that repeats the same songs over and over and over...

There was much rejoicing when somebody finally switched it to a classic rock station.

Which lasted all of a week
    I love classic rock. But lately I've been wondering why on earth businesses feel it necessary to have background music at all. What's wrong with letting people shop with only other people's chatter as a background?

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    You know what happens when you play a country song backwards?

You get your house back, your wife back, your truck back, your dog back.....

Comment

I love that joke

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      I love classic rock. But lately I've been wondering why on earth businesses feel it necessary to have background music at all. What's wrong with letting people shop with only other people's chatter as a background?
      I like having music on as a way to focus on something other than the customer's voices when I'm doing projects and not serving them. Or when there are no customers.

My biggest complaint is the fact that we have a satellite radio. There is no excuse to have 10 songs on repeat all day.
      My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

My biggest complaint is the fact that we have a satellite radio. There is no excuse to have 10 songs on repeat all day.
        My aunt, who works for the same chain store as I do, complained about the music at her location.
        "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

But the dog's rusted out, the truck's pregnant and the wife still has fleas.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
            No music at work for me, but whenever i'm in a place where music is played, i keep my earbuds in and the sound to max until i have to talk to the cashier.
            I'm starting to see why a lot of my customers do that as well, at first poor naive me thought they were being rude. Now I see it's a form of brain cell preservation (which sadly I am unable to take part in).
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot: On the off chance my employer's in-store music system plays a decent song, it will play the worst available version of it.

Case in point. "I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick has currently made it into our rotation! Bad news: It's the version from In Color, not the rock radio staple that's on Live At Budokan.

So a quarter of the testosterone, no screaming Japanese girls, no fun. Can't shake up the old folks too much.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I love that joke

I like having music on as a way to focus on something other than the customer's voices when I'm doing projects and not serving them. Or when there are no customers.

I can see why that would help when you get SCs grumbling and griping their way around, LOL. Or loud customers at all, regardless of whether they're SCs.

We had no music at all one day and I have to admit I found it a pleasant change. It was far from totally silent, since we have a very small storefront and we were getting the music in from the mall's hallways. (That's another irritation: Battle of the Bands, because we do get the music drifting in from the hall, and it does tend to add to the general cacophony when we have our own music playing.)

Quoth dalesys View Post
                But the dog's rusted out, the truck's pregnant and the wife still has fleas.

Comment

Quoth Alryk View Post
                  Perfect song to hear over the speakers at work..."Surrounded by Idiots" by Wrathchild America. Part of the chorus goes "Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. I'm surrounded by idiots". I'm sure we can all relate to that And for all those of you that work in a resturant/bar thier other song called "I Ain't Drunk, I'm Just Drinkin'"
                  Wait, what?? Isn't that from "Stuck in the Middle With You" by Stealers Wheel?

I can't have music on at work, since I work on the phone. A manager once saw a co-worker with earbuds in and went apesh*t. Turned out to be from her personal phone, which is also a no-no (or would be if she wasn't young and cute...seriously, this girl looks like an anime character...)
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Actually that is not a joke but a song by Rascal Flatts from their album Me and My Gang.

and NO I am not a country fan but I heard the song on some store's Muzack and searched around for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMjPH3P8eY
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

That only works for me if it's music I like. If I don't, it's all the more annoying as I try to conjure up an earworm to get rid of it (which doesn't always work the way I hope).
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

They've now decided to start playing Xmas music now. Blegh.
                        "Any kind of hereditary privilege is wrong, it's not just anti-democracy, it's just like inherent wrong" - Robert Smith

Comment

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you" - Stealer's Wheel

Comment

Quoth sylvier View Post
                            "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you" - Stealer's Wheel
                            I hear that one quite a lot at work. It's actually better than 98% of stuff that gets played.

Comment

Right now, I hate it. It's Christmas music spliced in with our regular stuff. The Christmas music is a mix of terrible stuff like Marshmallow World by Dean Martin ( try getting that out out of your head) and the usual Beyonce Christmas crap. The regular stuff is tolerable, unless you happen to be in on one of the days that "Call Me Maybe" plays 7 or 8 times in a 5 hour span. I hate that somg with the white hot intensity of a thousand burning suns and if I ever meet the chick who sings it I am going to punch her in the face.

Comment

Quoth Simbacat View Post
                                Right now, I hate it. It's Christmas music spliced in with our regular stuff. The Christmas music is a mix of terrible stuff like Marshmallow World by Dean Martin ( try getting that out out of your head) and the usual Beyonce Christmas crap. The regular stuff is tolerable, unless you happen to be in on one of the days that "Call Me Maybe" plays 7 or 8 times in a 5 hour span. I hate that somg with the white hot intensity of a thousand burning suns and if I ever meet the chick who sings it I am going to punch her in the face.
                                Exact same thing at my job! I can only put up with so many versions of Jingle Bells.

Comment

Working...
                                X