This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth emax4 View Post
    I think since he assumed you to be his secretary, I would have confronted him with, "That's actually not part of my duties nor was it explained to me when you came on board, so how are you compensating me for this?"
    Well, I'm not too worried about it at the moment. If I'm not busy and my boss needs something done, I'll do it. I don't see it any different with Goodhair. But if I'm busy with something else, I'll certainly tell him.

So my boss was telling me today about the only loan that Goodhair has brought in which has closed so far. It was a personal loan to one of Goodhair's buddies customers from his old job. He had my boss type up the loan documents and close the loan. She made sure to call her boss and explain that there was no way that she was putting her initials on this loan. She wanted to make it abundantly clear that it was Goodhair's lending decision, not hers. The buddy's credit score was 534 579 (we normally don't go below 650). His income didn't support the amount of his debts. The collateral didn't have enough value to support the amount lent. Practically everything about the loan was an exception.

This says a lot about the quality of loans that Goodhair's going to bring us.
    Last edited by Ghel; 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM. Reason: Correcting a few things I misremembered.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

We're seeing more and more of the reasons why he was fired from his former job. I think everyone here instinctively knows this guy is bad news. Kudos to your boss for refusing to get involved in this developing whirlpool of suck.

I still think there's a game going on beyond what's immediately visible, though. From what you've told us, I think the whole situation just reeks of conspiracy.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
        I still think there's a game going on beyond what's immediately visible, though. From what you've told us, I think the whole situation just reeks of conspiracy.
        I think the main thing that's going on is that Mr. Goodhair is part of the "good ole boys club." He had the connections, he needed a job, so he got his buddy to hire him. There's probably more to the story about his split with his old employer, but I doubt I'll ever hear it.

Goodhair's stupid jokes are getting old fast. At first, I laughed politely at him. Now I just stare at him in stoney silence.

I actually rolled my eyes at him the other day. He and I were approaching the same door at the same time, and he shuffled his feet like he was going to race me to the door. I rolled my eyes and stepped ahead of him. He didn't say anything.

He reminds me of that line from Ghostbusters: "You're more like a gameshow host."

And he still keeps winking at me. I don't think he even realizes he's doing it. I haven't noticed if he's doing it to other people, too.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

I'm wondering just how long it will take the bigwig's upstairs to figure out there's really something wrong going on here. Then what (if anything) they'll do about it...

Comment

Since all the bigwigs are at another location, I doubt they'll notice any of the behavioral stuff. Anything to do with the quality of the loans he brings in will take some time to materialize.

So, this happened today:
            I was walking to the post office to pick up our mail, and I ran into the former chairman of the board (from before the bank changed hands, 3 years ago).

CB: Hey, Ghel. Is that guy there today?
            Me: You mean Mr. Goodhair?
            CB: Yeah.
            Me: Yeah, he's there.
            CB: Aw, shit!

We were going opposite directions, so that was the end of it. But when I got back to the bank, CB was in my boss' office talking to her. Probably about Goodhair.
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

It sounds like everybody but the moron who hired him has doubts about Goodhair being able to generate any real revenue. And his first loan sounds like a complete disaster waiting to happen.

How long do you think before somebody important sees this mess Goodhair thought was ok and (hopefully) completely freaks?

Comment

I'm not making any bets. He'd have to do something REALLY bad to get fired. I'm pretty sure he could get away with making a pass at an employee without getting fired.
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

That does not sound promising.

Given the "quality" of this first loan, does _anybody_ think future ones will be any better? Or profitable?

Goodhair worries me, he should worry management too. And it sounds like they've not. At least until the bankruptcy's start and loans aren't repaid...

Comment

I was, unfortunately, right in the middle of this exchange:

Goodhair: It looks like we've got everything reasonably under control.
                    Boss: By this time of day, I'm usually spinning out of control.
                    G: Then we can watch you spin. Spin and grin. har har.
                    Me:
                    B: <ducks back into office>
                    G: Disco here at the <bank>.
                    Me:
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

the more I hear about this guy, the more I hate him. He sounds more like the stereotypical used-car salesman than a banker.

Used-car salesmen in the forum: I said STEREOTYPICAL. I am NOT implying that ALL used-car salesman are douches.

Comment

Used car salesman or bad talk show host. I'm not sure which.

Goodhair introduced us today to something he's bringing from his old bank. He had this progam set up with the local tribal council to allow tribe members who wouldn't otherwise qualify for loans to get loans to build up their credit. The way Goodhair explained it, there was originally going to be some credit counseling required, but that never materialized.

The loans (maximum $1200 each) would be for local band members. They don't necessarily have to live on the reservation, but it sounds like most of those who applied did. The only requirements were that they had to be employed, and they couldn't have a delinquent loan with either the bank or the tribe. The tribal council would guarantee the loan and secure it with a savings account. If the borrower didn't repay, the bank would take the money out of the savings, and the tribe would get the money back from the borrower by docking their annual tribal earnings.

Sounds like a good deal, overall. The bank's not going to lose any money, and we'll earn interest and loan fees. But Goodhair said that at his old bank, these loans had a 35% default rate. Let me repeat that. Over 1/3 of these loans were not repaid. Wow.
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Only 35%? Nah, no red flag there!

Comment

I KNEW there was a game going on! He's INTENTIONALLY proposing risky loans. No self-respecting banker would do this unless he/she stood to make a lot of money from it. I sense kickbacks somewhere in all this.

Comment

I suspect he's getting some sort of benefit from it, but it might not be monetary.

Last week, Goodhair took a LOONG lunch with the woman who's going to be president of the tribal credit union, set to open later this year. (The credit union is also planning to take over this loan portfolio once they get established.) He brought her around and introduced her to all of us, even taking her into the back room of the bank, which is supposed to be off limits to non-employees. They seemed rather chummy. Now, I'm not saying there's anything going on there. It might be enough for Goodhair to stoke his ego by suggesting that there might be something going on there. And that ego boost could be enough to convince him to participate in questionable business practices.

I've certainly heard of bankers doing more questionable things for less benefit.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Another conversation from today:

GH: I see your desk is empty. Let me give you some work to do.
                                Me: <glares> My desk is only empty because I cleared it off to help a customer. <who just left 10 seconds before you walked up to my desk.>
                                GH: Oh. I just thought you needed something to keep you busy.
                                Me: <sighs> If there's something you need me to do, I'll do it.
                                GH: Great! <hands me a pile of documents to scan and email>
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X