No announcement yet.

Brandy, the Paranoid Mortgage Customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course BM and Ted are happy. If you're calling her for money, she's not going to be popping up and pestering the Chair (or anyone else). That's part of the game a lot of the low-end junkies live by: See where you can get money for a fix while avoiding those you owe money to.

Comment

News! Update!

The Chair spoke with Brandy today, and it sounds like she's willing to sign a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. Which means she signs the house over to the bank, and we don't have to go through foreclosure. The bank will sell the house, and the Chair agreed to give Brandy whatever's left after paying off the loan, paying realtor's fees, attorney's fees, and any other costs associated with selling the house (cleanup, etc.). The bank won't make any money on this deal, but we'll never have to deal with Brandy again, either. Seems like a win-win to me.

We're not sure of the status of the house. BM is going to Brandy's mom's tomorrow to pick up the key, then we'll both go over to Brandy's house to check on it and take pictures. If Brandy's things are still in the house (seems likely), we'll hire some locals to move it all to storage so we can get the place cleaned out to sell. I expect we'll do the normal notice: "You have 30 days to come get your stuff or we'll trash/sell it."

BM's going to work with a local realtor we often work with to sell the house. She said she had it sold 3 times this summer, but each time Brandy backed out. Hopefully, it goes quick.

If all goes smoothly, we should be nearing the end of this saga. I won't have a past due loan to deal with, and Brandy will have some money to do as she pleases.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Bet Brandy will start screaming when she finds out what people will pay for her house.

She probably has not taken care of the house, so it is probably is very bad condition and that means it will be devalued compared to other houses in the same area.

Also, with any assets and her past history she can forget any future loans.

Comment

Yeah, we're worried what we're going to find when we visit the house today. We're not sure if the house is currently being heated, and it got down below 10°F last night (which is actually warm for this time of year). Frozen pipes, destroyed drywall, chemical spills, trash everywhere... those things are all possibilities.

Brandy will definitely never get another loan from us. It'll be many years until she can get a loan anywhere else, either. She has multiple 30-, 60-, and 90-day lates with us, and the last time I pulled her credit (so we could do an analysis to see whether we would be likely to get repaid), she had multiple lates on her other accounts, too. At least she won't have a foreclosure on her credit, assuming she actually signs the Deed in Lieu.

Adding on to this after BM and I visited Brandy's house.

Brandy's mom met us at the house and let us in. The house is in surprisingly good shape, all things considered. Mom has been keeping an eye on it - going over and making sure the heat's still working and flushing the toilets while she's there. That's a relief. There's a few places where Brandy had patched holes her dogs had made before she moved out, but those just need some paint. The new flooring and carpet is still in good shape. Most of her furniture is still there. It's cluttered and a bit messy, but not like I was expecting. Brandy's mom offered to remove the furniture so that we can try to sell the house. Once it's tidied up a bit, we can probably get more than enough to pay off her loan, legal fees, etc.

I gathered from what BM was saying that Brandy hasn't come in yet to sign the Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. Hopefully she doesn't back out.
          Last edited by Ghel; 01-13-2021, 08:23 PM.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

And after Brandy gets whatever she gets... and visits her local homebrew 'pharmacist' for a few days of fun, the sleep-deprived paranoia will come back around.
            And she still has the Chair's phone number handy, for when she gets around to thinking that the house was TOTALLY stolen from her. (after all, any money she has would quickly convert to recreational chemicals ...which don't exactly last long)

Comment

Just reinforce to her the fact that selling this place will result in her GETTING money, not owing more. That might light a fire under her. Hopefully
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Branch Manager spent a good chunk of time on the phone with Brandy's mom today. He was trying to convince her that it would be in Brandy's best interest to sign the house over to the bank. To make things go more smoothly, he tried to get her to get power of attorney for the transaction. Which is something she did when Brandy bought the house, so she should be familiar with the process. But in that case, it was because Brandy was working out of the area. Now it's because Brandy's mental health has deteriorated to the point that she can't handle her own real estate dealings. At least, that's the way Brandy's mom understand it. I could try to guess how much is mental health and how much is drugs, but it's not worth the time. BM tried to explain that if Brandy doesn't sign over the house to the bank, we're going to have to foreclose. In which case, she wouldn't get any money from the sale of the house. Not sure how much of that got through.
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                  ... Brandy's mental health has deteriorated ...
                  Like my sister-in-law. Cokeheimers.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I delayed posting this update because it seems like a dream. One of the local realtors put an offer on Brandy's house. She wants to buy it and rent it out. Brandy agreed and e-signed the purchase agreement! Will wonders never cease!

Assuming Brandy doesn't back out - I'm not sure if this realtor is part of her conspiracy theories - then in a few weeks, Brandy's house will be sold and the loan will be paid off! I'm not holding my breath, though. The light at the end of that tunnel might be an oncoming spaceship. (Sorry, I recently watched Race to Witch Mountain).
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                      The light at the end of that tunnel might be an oncoming spaceship. (Sorry, I recently watched Race to Witch Mountain).
                      Besides, I'm sure you could convince the aliens to take her for a spin. She seems like their preferred uhm...passenger type: The ones that nobody will ever believe.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• "Hey Mister Grey, no need to return this one, memory wipe or not." Huh, that could be a new handle on handling such cases... "I'm with 'Them', your cooperation will be noted." (Every paranoid has a 'Them', you'll note)

Comment

• Just sayin; IIRC the "aliens" in the Witch Mountain stories were humans with psychic powers.

Comment

• In the Dwayne Johnson one, they looked human, but they were definitely aliens.
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                              In the Dwayne Johnson one, they looked human, but they were definitely aliens.
                              Well, it does save a lot of money for the costuming and make-up budget.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• In the 1968 book, Escape to Witch Mountain, that is the source material for the movies, they are aliens that look human and came to earth because their home planet was drifting toward one of it's 2 suns.

Comment

Working...
                                X