This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
    ... They'll look at you like you just proposed bartering goats rats.
    Better plague reference...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And oddly enough, coins are less of a vector than the folding money. Fun with chemistry and biology: The metal content tends to play rough with certain organic things, and they don't hold moisture like bills can. Still not exactly 'safe', but...

Comment

When coins started being in short supply, I got in our change jar and sorted a lot of the coins into $5 bags. When going through the drive through, I always ask if they would like a bag of change should I use my card. Its about half and half.

I also handed bags of change out to any panhandlers I saw.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
          Man, no where around here wants you to pay in cash or coins at the moment for obvious plague reasons. They'll look at you like you just proposed bartering goats.
          Wawa is a chain of ... convenience store/quick serve restaurants. (Nowhere to sit, but lost of hot food, and the CEO said a few years back their goal was to change from "a gas station that also serves food" to "a restaurant that also sells gas".)
          Anyway, they started in Greater Philadelphia and now can be found in a big chunk of the US east coast.

They started radio ads a bit ago where they are running a sweepstakes for free sandwiches for a year or something, to enter you just have to sell them at least $5 in coins.

I have worked with many cashiers in years past who would only accept large amounts of change in the form of rolls.
          I am just the opposite.

I mean, I want the paper rolls, but I am DEFINITELY not going to take most people's word that the roll contains what it should.

I have encountered what I presume to be accidents: rolls of pennies that actually averaged to 50 coins per, but individually fluctuated from 47 to 52.
          Malice: multiple rolls of dimes that were each 3 coins short.
          Extra malice: rolls made from notebook paper that contained 48 pennies with a dime on each end. (Only seen that once)
          And bizarre accident: a roll of pennies that contained a micro SD card.
          I have also found in my cash drawer a penny that had been meticulously ground down to exactly match the diameter and thickness of a dime.

I am not going to trust that the "roll of quarters" you just handed me contains exactly $10 until I have counted them all myself, though I might settle for counting one roll and deciding that the others all seem to be the same length.

I will let a small number of pennies slide, because despite my being able to count quickly and roll coins quickly, I make 12.5 cents per minute and cannot roll pennies fast enough to be cheaper than Coinstar's 8% fee.
          Last edited by EricKei; 10-23-2020, 07:51 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth SpyOne
            And bizarre accident: a roll of pennies that contained a micro SD card.
            Username checks out... That was your recruitment package. "The pigeon flies West tonight!"
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Even though we're a bank, we charge a 10% fee for non-customers (anyone who doesn't have an account with us) who bring in coin to be counted. And like others here, we've had rolls of coin that have been short in the past, so we insist that coin is brought in loose.

Unsurprisingly, we had a guy bring in a bunch of wrapped coin the other day. He started griping when we told him there was a fee. And he continued griping when we handed him a bucket and told him to unwrap all the coin. But apparently, nobody else in town would take it, because he didn't take his coin and leave.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

scam

Quoth Ghel View Post
                Unsurprisingly, we had a guy bring in a bunch of wrapped coin the other day. He started griping when we told him there was a fee. And he continued griping when we handed him a bucket and told him to unwrap all the coin. But apparently, nobody else in town would take it, because he didn't take his coin and leave.
                Or he was trying to scam you and the wraps were not filled with coins.

Making him unwrap the coins destroys his plans, he he he.

Comment

I have heard of coin rolls with a length of pipe in the middle, as well as being full of metal slugs and washers.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    I have heard of coin rolls with a length of pipe in the middle, as well as being full of metal slugs and washers.
                    Yup. When I delivered pizza we were explicitly told to open rolls of coins we got or to deny the sale because a few people had gone around getting bills for rolls of quarters with pipes in the middle.

Fortunately it didn't happen too often and the one person I remember paying with rolled change was just pissy about it but that was it.

Comment

My bank charges (IIRC it's 10%) even if you are a customer.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Hmmm... Maybe I should offer cash for coin and only charge 5%. It could add up over time.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          ...I still cannot accept $20 in pennies, nickels and dimes. That's not what "exact change" means. If you want to do that go to SCO...
                          That's what I do if I have a ton of change to get rid of. It does tend to accumulate, and I know the store can use it more than I can.

I've had customers who don't think they have enough money for their purchase because they dumped all their change on the counter and don't have any quarters. I've counted through and yep, they did have enough, and I will happily take it, and they're glad to not have all that weight in their pockets.

And I still prefer the change-payers over the fools who buy a 50¢ item with a hundred dollar bill, first thing in the morning.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            And I still prefer the change-payers over the fools who buy a 50¢ item with a hundred dollar bill, first thing in the morning.
                            That's because you will have $99.50 in change to give to those fools.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              That's because you will have $99.50 in change to give to those fools.
                              And we'll have another reason to call them "Ol' Droopy Drawers"!
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                                Spending a hundred dollar bill always fills me with horrible guilt even if I just bought 98 dollars worth of stuff. At this point I don't even try anymore I just save them till I can deposit them.

Comment

Working...
                                X