This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turns out we're not all the same person

A regular came up to me to ask if we had a particular microwave in stock. The associate who helped her the day before told her we would get that microwave "today".

I followed her to the aisle where her parents were waiting. The mother said, "Do you remember yesterday when, yadda, yadda, yadda."

"No, Miss," I said. "Because I wasn't here yesterday."

"Oh, well it was someone who looked like you." This is a grown woman who has literally no reason to believe that every single persons he encounters in the store is the same person. She even seemed to not believe me when I said that I wasn't the one she spoke to.

I know we're all wearing masks but it's still kind of dumb.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Do y'all wear a specific uniform? 'Cuz she could very well be one of those people who "sees" the uniform and nothing else.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I get this all the time. "When you rang me up a few minutes ago..." No, it wasn't me. It was the other blonde worker who is shorter with glasses. And it's not like there are so many of us that work in the store. So annoying.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

At my old station, there were three of us selling tickets in rotation: me (white, bearded, average height), colleague one (white female, older, bustier, beardless), and colleague two (black male, tall). You would not credit how often we'd get confused for each other...
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Do y'all wear a specific uniform? 'Cuz she could very well be one of those people who "sees" the uniform and nothing else.
          We only have the vest. Since the dress code changed we don't even wear the white shirt and khakis anymore, so it's especially funny.
          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

We have another person with the same nickname as me in escalations so people sometimes ask me about waivers I never did because they don't know this account is brand-new to me. It doesn't happen often, though.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Or...you're wearing something that vaguely looks like what the store employees wear.

Or...something not even close. I got mistaken for a Walmart employee today. I was wearing jeans, a white t-shirt, and a pink ABQ Balloon Fiesta fleece hoodie...
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                Or...you're wearing something that vaguely looks like what the store employees wear.

Or...something not even close. I got mistaken for a Walmart employee today. I was wearing jeans, a white t-shirt, and a pink ABQ Balloon Fiesta fleece hoodie...
                Since the customers don't read signs, what makes you think they actually look at what you're wearing? Your mere presence means you must submit to their demands.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

^ That is more likely. I don't know what makes them pick one person over another in the vicinity, though.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    I don't know what makes them pick one person over another in the vicinity, though.
                    They can see "I work in customer service" on our faces, because we're not constantly frustrated with our surroundings as we actually pay attention to signage.
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Pagan - I know the feeling. It took several years after I left retail for the "retail stench" to wear off completely.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Retail not the job of eternal stench. It just feels like it.
                        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                          They can see "I work in customer service" on our faces, because we're not constantly frustrated with our surroundings as we actually pay attention to signage.
                          OK, I figured it might be something like that. I don't get bothered anymore. I guess that's because most of the time I do office work and retail, if it's in my life, is only a small part of it.

Comment

Where I work there are at most two cashiers, and on my shift only one.
                            I work 5 days a week, and am 50 years old, 5'8" tall, 180 pounds, long brown hair, full beard and mustache close cropped.
                            The guy who works my shift on my days off is about 10 years older, about 2 inches taller, about the same weight, much greyer and a buzz cut, mustache. The guy who did that before him was older still, my height, slightly lighter, medium length light hair, clean shaven.
                            The guy who worked the previous shift was a decade younger than me, about an inch shorter, about 100 pound heavier, short brown hair, bushy beard.

I am reasonably sure that about 20% of our customers thought we were all the same person.

And even among the people who can tell us apart, ... the number of times someone has brought something in and said, "I just bought this - the girl rang me up - and it is (defective in some way)".
                            1) I have been the only cashier here for over two hours, and haven't seen you tonight.
                            2) we sold out of those yesterday.

So you either didn't buy that here or didn't buy that tonight and possibly both.

Comment

And then it cuts the other way:
                              I had a customer today buy cigarettes and ask for matches. "Sorry, we don't have matches."
                              "She just gave me matches yesterday."
                              1) we haven't had matches here since ever, and I've worked at this location for 6 years and for this company for 20.
                              2) the person here who sold you cigarettes was me. I have long hair and my mask covers my beard, but I have a deep voice and am not shaped particularly femininely.

So either you bought a second pack later in the day at a store from a different chain and are somehow confusing us with them, or you are just lying.

Comment

Working...
                              X