Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this is why I no longer work here.

One of the great things about being in a military family and having spent a few years in the military is the travel. You get to see all kinds of people in all kinds of situations. Also in particular, the way people are treated.

So we have a stupid saying that is predominantly Canada/state. NO WHERE ELSE have I seen it enforced to the ridiculous point that it is in these two places. Sure they'll try and ass-kiss the customer but most countries I have been where once you cross a certain line they stop playing nice with the SC.

This line is "the customer is always right"

In this incident as follows

Cashier: hello
    SC: that was supposed to be xxxx! Are you trying to cheat me?
    Cashier: No. But I just need to get a price check to confirm.
    SC: you don't need a price check I know the price! I'm not dumb. (With that tone of voice they use to suggest you most certainly are.)
    Me wandering over...my SC senses are tingling...although that might just be my frayed patience.
    M: Its company policy to confirm prices if there's a discrepancy. Just in case you misread the sign and it's a different brand, size, or flavor that's on sale. Especially now when every penny counts.
    SC: well don't you know who I am. My husband plays golf with your SM!
    Cashier: *goes to place reward card on the little ledge that the pinpad is attached to.*
    SC: *physically grabs cashier's wrist and yanks her forward into her till, causing her head to go forward and slam into the plexiglass*
    Me: Enough! You have just physically assaulted someone. One of my employees. You can either pay for your groceries and leave quietly or we will call the cops and have you charged with assaulting a staff member. Whether she wishes to bring seperate assault charges is up to her. I can understand being upset but that is no excuse for violence or to hurt someone who is only doing their job.
    Prissy Supervisors: what seems to be the problem here.
    SC: *que waterworks* she's being so rude to me! She won't change the price to the right one and she said I have to leave! (I'm so hard done by)
    Me: actually trying to explain
    Prissy Sups: well we can change the price *totally ignored the one person per pod rule*
    SC: I should get it free since she was so mean to meeeeee (note we only discount up to $10 off if they quote the whole if it's not the right price.....)
    PS: of course we'll do that for you.

Meanwhile while PS1 is ringing up the huge fucking discount (on someone else's operating number of course instead of handling it at the customer service desk) PS2 is at the service desk and I think she's just going about her shift.

Nope.

Turns out she's he's loading her a gift card for being so hard done by.

Meanwhile I'm standing literally open mouthed in disbelief. The cashier, while young, isn't spineless and you can see she's just getting more and more pissed off until she starts grinning in a totally nasty I'm about to hit you way.

So bitchy customer starts to walk off... And that is where we continue to the better part of the story.

Cashier: wait. *Carefully takes off apron and folds it neatly on the till.* Well I suppose I should tell you who I am. You see my mother and father are both cops an have always told me to be polite because you never know who's just having a bad day. But they also taught me to stand up for myself and not to take abuse from anyone. And you ma'am. Are just a rude, bullying, bitch. Who thinks because they have an in with the boss means they can treat people like garbage. The same people, I remind you, that mean you get to eat tonight without paying for takeout. I understand [me] can't decide if criminal charges are filed by the company.

But I can decide if I want to file charges.

And I think I do.

So I am asking you for your contact information nicely. As well as [the two sups] for encouraging her behaviour. When you reward a *pause* dog, for its bad behaviour you only encourage more of it.

If you don't I will do this the hard way and get your license plate number. I will then demand the surveillance video. Did you know it's illigal to flee a crime you've commited? But then the three of you seem to think assault is okay too so...

(Meanwhile I've got hearts in my eyes)

SC: you cant do that, you're a cashier you have to stay on till!

Cashier: (the two magic words) I quit.

I can't even be mad that our closing cashier is leaving..

SC:you have to stop her.

Me: *picks up apron* thank you for your time today. You will still get paid until *clock time*. I for one will miss you.

SC: you can't do that! You aren't allowed to just suit like that!

Me: It's employment not servitude. She can quit any time she wants, she's not a slave. (Might be with mentioning that the cashier is black at this point)

Cashier: *totally taking the hint* Are you saying that you are owed my time!

SC: but of course you are *gestures at employee still wearing the uniform. But that's not what it looks like to everyone else watching the drama unfold.

Cashier: Oh so because I'm black I have to take your abuse?

SC: ye.... No of course not (in that fake outrage voice).

Cashier: I'll be sure to mention it when I file charges.

Rando customer: here's the license plate number, I saw her come in. Shes also parked illigally in a handicap spot if you care. I took a picture, I could send you.

SC: you can't steal my number!

Me: parking lot is not governed by us ma'am.

SC:storms out cartoon style muttering all the way.

*Staff and customers cheering*

Cashier: if anyone wants to quit with me I'll buy you all drinks at Starbucks.

*Que half the store and the entire closing staff past 8pm leaving only 2 prissy Supervisors and some cashiers who get off soon anyway* good luck closing!!! I'm sure someone will be asking why nothing was done for the morning!!!
    Last edited by AkaiKitsune; 12-17-2020, 08:48 AM. Reason: I suck at spelling
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Beautiful. If you can, tell us how it all comes out.
    I wonder what the supervisors bosses will say.

Comment

Beautiful!
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'd love to see it made into a movie and shown everywhere. And as part of mandatory training in all retail stores.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

*clapping and fist-pumping and high fiveing*
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

(chef's kiss) Magnifique!
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Excellent! You should submit that one to NAR too.

Comment

That's epic. Too bad everyone who could give a follow up will be long gone.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

We have one supervisor in my store who takes no shit from ANYBODY. I complained about her once but I've since decided she was just having a bad day. I'm not sure that even the store manager and ass't. manager would dare to cross her. I'm pretty sure that she would NEVER tolerate something like this; the customer would be gone, probably without their groceries.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yeah it's gotten so bad working there that they're trying to get hired from people who applied pre-pandemic. Almost all of them, whether they have a job by now or not are saying no. It used to be the preferred place to be hired since they used to be flexible with hours, great pay, great benefits if you were full time... Now they expect you to spend your days off by the phone and get mad at you if you dare say you have other plans on your day off. They only have flexible hours now in that it's take it or leave it. If you're a student you will be working closing so they can get a full 8hrs out of you, never mind the bus stops running before shift end and they won't pay for a cab. So you have kids as young as 15/16 yrs old walking home (keeping in mind that all the close sups have cars and could drive if they weren't selfish and lazy) in the dark. The store is located right by a phych facility (where people can get day passes and often forget to come back after. Did I mention in a previous post one of said pych facility wandering the parking lot threatening to kill people after close because we wouldn't let him in?). We also are close to a sorta halfway house where people exiting the prison life can stay while the find a job and housing. Yet the store insists on complaining when people don't find that comfortable. I got shit from a previous shift because of said guy running around giving death threats for keeping everyone inside and on the clock while we waited for the cops to show. Since we were locked inside where it was safe it wasn't a high priority for the cops (given the rather strained resources of said cops).

They are bitching about how everyone's leaving and nobody wants to work for them anymore and yet allow shit like this to happen.
                    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

That's not a job, that's Purgatory!
                      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                        If you're a student you will be working closing so they can get a full 8hrs out of you, never mind the bus stops running before shift end and they won't pay for a cab. So you have kids as young as 15/16 yrs old walking home (keeping in mind that all the close sups have cars and could drive if they weren't selfish and lazy) in the dark.
                        When I was a teen back in the seventies, no one thought twice about me alone in the car with the drama coach driving me home. If an adult did that now, people would talk.

But no way would my parents have let me walk home in the dark.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                          *snip*

They are bitching about how everyone's leaving and nobody wants to work for them anymore and yet allow shit like this to happen.
                          Part of that, I think, is because they refuse to accept that there's anything wrong with what they're doing.

Also playing into that is the fact that in the current economic climate, too many employers literally cannot wrap their heads around the idea that people would just walk off a job, no matter what.
                          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                          X