This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buh-bye newspapers

Hehe. I remember right before I left B&N we decided to stop carrying newspapers. There were many reasons. The vendors were jerks and would short us papers, deliver them wet, or shredded to pieces, and overcharge us. They'd also alter our bills after signing them and charge us for more papers than we actually had. Or they didn't credit us with the proper amount of returns.

The second biggest reason is that the customers didn't buy them. The coupons were stolen, the crosswords would be filled out and left on the floor - but No. One. Would. Buy. Them.

So we decided - f*ck the papers. It was an easy decision that freed up about 25 hours a week of payroll for bigger and better things.

Oh the fights I had with people over them! Here are some of the things I was told, and screamed at and yes, even spit upon:

SC: You're going to lose my business
    Luna: We weren't MAKING any business carrying them anyway - so we're actually not losing anything.

SC: It's illegal to not carry newspapers!
    Luna: *what I thought* I guess the Gap will be going out of business soon then.
    *what I said* - Um-hmm....that's nice. Next!

SC: What am I going to read when I drink my coffee?
    Luna: I don't know. The book you just bought?
    SC: I don't buy books here.
    Luna: ....
    SC: Oh.

SC: You're discriminating against people who like to read!
    Luna: In a bookstore???
    SC: *sputter* (this is when I inadvertantly got spit upon)

SC: I'm a VIP! I spend hundreds of dollars here at Borders!
    Luna: This is B&N.

Gotta love people.
    If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Under my company's previous regime, in which we tried to be all things to all people and carry an extensive line of grocery items and other things people didn't want, we carried newspapers.

And nobody bought them. The local newspaper would sometimes come in and set up a booth where they'd give their paper away for free. When straightening during the evening we'd find these free papers everywhere.

In the company newsrag, the suit who came up with the idea said it was "the right thing to do for the company" because we would be carrying an impulse item people might buy, with little work needed from the employees. That might have been true had we sold any.

Thankfully, the newspapers are long gone.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Luna View Post
      SC: You're discriminating against people who like to read!
      Luna: In a bookstore???
      SC: *sputter* (this is when I inadvertantly got spit upon)
      That's too funny. I might have to try that one once.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

So, were the complainers the people who had actually been buying papers, or were they the coupon and crossword thieves?

You don't have to answer that if you don't want to, I think everyone already knows the answer.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

They were the coupon and crossword thieves of course. And for the few people who DID buy the paper. I didn't care. They way the preferred to purchase their paper was to bark out the name of paper - hold it up in the air and throw the change at me. I was glad to do without both of them.
          If you are thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, should I post this?" it should probably go HERE.

Comment

Working...
          X