This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the big deal?

I came as close as I have ever come to absolutely ripping into a customer. This particular asshole infuriates me. He is the sales rep for our biggest client and literally, and I do mean literally, I have never done a job for him that did not have some kind of issue. The only thing that is higher than his incompetence is his laziness, not only does he have virtually no knowledge of the product he is selling, he is too lazy to do the work on the few things he does know. And he never owns his mistakes, no matter how blatant they are. He typically just blames the design team or the order team, or the cad drawing he was given, or anyone he can think of, completely disregarding the fact that it is his job to oversee, analyze, and correct any problems that may come up.

Anyways, doing my latest job for him and ensuring to keep up his 1.000 batting percentage, there is a problem. Panel systems often have poles that go up into the ceiling to allow power and data lines to be run into the panels. Anyone who has been doing this longer than 5 minutes knows that you have to check the ceiling for obstructions, most often, a light being in that section. So of course the 2 pac poles of this pod of stations are going directly smack dab in the middle of some lights. So I send an email letting him know that he has fucked up. I get a phone call and he asks me "What's the big deal?". Not only is that just a completely idiotic question - (the big fucking deal is that you fucked up, A-FUCKING-GAIN, you fucking moron), on top of the question being idiotic, it's with his typical smug, I'm better than you and you're asking a stupid question attitude. I'm already a powder keg and this one almost dropped a match right in it. I took a good ten seconds or probably longer just to stammer out "what do you mean 'what's the big deal', the plans are wrong!" Oh, well it's a simple solution, just shift the station. Oh, you mean changes that I am not authorized to make so I have to call you for authorization? Okay genius, let's shift it forward and give them an illegal 15" walkway that is going to be used hundreds of times a day. No? Okay, let's shift it backwards, giving them no walkway at the back, and have one of the pac poles going into a ductwork bulkhead. Sounds like an awesome plan moron. Okay, then move one of the pac poles. Oh, move one, and are the data lines long enough to reach at this new location? He doesn't think it will be a problem. Don't think asshole, KNOW! Oh, he is far too busy to contact the guys running the data lines, he needs me to do it. I'm beyond furious at this point so I tell him I'll see what I can do.

It may not sound like a lot, but it was just he wrong thing at the wrong time. I have problems every single day often brought on by this asshole's incompetence, so to have him treat his latest fuck up like no big deal was just infuriating. He also knows that I am not allowed to make any changes whatsoever without authorization, so unless he wants to pre-approve any and all changes I see fit, he should expect these communications every time he fucks up, and not treat me like a piece of dog shit on his shoe.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

I don't know how you stand all that.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I mean, obviously you're supposed to play electrician and move the light fixtures. <rolls eyes>

Comment

I saw him after this. He "apologized" but in keeping with his history of being an oblivious moron, he thought my problem was that I was angry because he was telling me how to do my job. I let him know that no, it's because when there is a mistake in the plans, I have to call in for authorization, I am not allowed to just make changes willy-nilly, so any mistake is a "big deal". But I refrained from ripping into him for his constant and ongoing incompetence.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
          Oh, he is far too busy to contact the guys running the data lines, he needs me to do it. I'm beyond furious at this point so I tell him I'll see what I can do.
          Why? At that point I tell him the work stops until he gets the changes made by contacting and authorizing the right people, he does not do his work, you stop your work.

Of-course, I had a boss that I could explain things to and he would listen, is your boss on your side or the customer's?

Comment

The boss is on Homer's side.... until something happens with a customer, or the sunlight reflects off the glass in an annoying way.
            Hiring morons is easy. Hiring someone to replace an effective moron wrangler, isn't. Of course, it's easy to forget about that part when you just LOVE paying next-to-nothing for everything.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              Why? At that point I tell him the work stops until he gets the changes made by contacting and authorizing the right people, he does not do his work, you stop your work.

Of-course, I had a boss that I could explain things to and he would listen, is your boss on your side or the customer's?
              That depends, what time is it right now; is it a full moon or a half moon?

At the end of the day, I just want to get the job done and go home. If that means a little extra effort on my part, so be it. My MiM are aware of the situation, and think it's BS, and that we shouldn't have to do it..... and just do it, we're going to have too many people pissed off if we don't put in this extra effort. Which I really can't blame them on. In the end, it's always the face the customer is seeing that they hold responsible. No matter how I explain how my plans are wrong and it's the moron who made them that created the problem, it's always the guy telling them this that is "wrong". So to avoid these problems and developing a reputation of a company that can't get the job done, we just bite the bullet and suck it up.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

Working...
              X