Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's ten measly dollars, lady ... AND it's closing time!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's ten measly dollars, lady ... AND it's closing time!

Okay, so my store has a rewards card. You acquire points and once you hit 10,000 points you can start using them as cash, in increments of 10 (10,000 points = $10 and so on).

So I was on a closing shift the other night and of course, around 15 minutes before closing, every idiot who'd been lurking in the back of the store suddenly decides to check out ... several with overflowing buggies.

And then I get this one ...

She wants to use her $10 worth of points to pay for two large-ish hunks of meat she's buying.

First of all, I had already rung the meat through. I had to void them since there is no way on earth I can use the points ONLY for the meat if the meat is rung through with the rest of her groceries.

Secondly, she doesn't HAVE $10 worth of points.

"Yes, yes! Look! There is $10!" (English wasn't her first language, so that wasn't helping.)

I look over at the register's monitor.

Me: "Yes ma'am, but you won't have those points available until you've paid for these groceries."

"No, no, I have $10! I use $10!"

Me: "You can use it for your next visit ..."

IC: "NO! I use it now!"

I finally got my point across. I think it helped that the shift supervisor, who is even louder than I can be (and also didn't have to shout through a plexiglass shield) came up and repeated what I had already said. Including the fact she could use it on her next visit, which suggestion was shot down a second time.

She pays for the groceries, minus the cuts of meat. I then ring them in separately. Meanwhile, of course, I have two or three other people lined up at my register, plus a coworker has opened a second till to get these laggards OUT of the store.

I ring up the cuts of meat.

They don't quite total $10.

There is NO WAY the system will allow her to use her points for less than $10. I have to explain this to her ... IIRC, the shift supervisor chimed in again as well.

IC: "Oh. Well ..."

She fishes in the groceries I've already bagged.

IC: "... you put this with that and you get $10."

"This" was a small bakery item that she'd already paid for.

Me: "Ma'am, you've already paid for that. If I ring that in, you will be paying for it twice."

Shift supervisor, who is even more fed up than I am at this point: "Ring it up. I'll take her over to Till #7 and give her her refund."

Personally, I wanted to "refund" her birth certificate.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Insisting on re-ringing an already paid item just so she could use some points? That's a new one...but sadly not entirely unexpected. If OldJob had that system we would have certainly seen that.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My mom had a handicap

She had the card for parking in the special parking places.

I drove my mom to the mall for therapy, and lo and behold there was a parking place right in front of the door leading to the doctor (ie 6 feet). Yet my mom with bad knees insisted I parking in the handicap spot that was at-least 40 feet from the doctor's door because she had the card on display!

Comment

Working...
      X