This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you call me?!

Welp, it finally happened. I got called a "f----ing racist b----" for doing my job.

I was watching SCO doing my usual; it was busy so I was standing away from the door near the service desk, which just so happened to have a perfect view of the screen, scanner, and belt for reg 8. A mother/daughter pair roll up with an overflowing cart...I think I recognize them. SCs have discovered that the belt weight sensors are destroyed, so there's been a mild epidemic of scanning one item and sending three down the belt; usually the items are identical so you can't tell unless you're paying very close attention to what is actually scanned. We have all been told to watch for this and fix it if we can. Also coincidentally I can perfectly hear the scanner beep and voice from that register, so I know more items are being sent down the belt than what gets scanned. SCs daughter is actively trying to block my view; bobbing and weaving. That is definitely not normal. If there are two people in a shopping party, the second person goes down to the end to bag.

I count three instances of overscans (not in succession, so someone knew I knew what they were up to), wait an appropriate time, check my phone (this works as an excuse; I've trained some SCs to think that the registers interface with my phone) and then approach.

Me: "Excuse me, the system didn't register a couple items. I just need to verify the screen." Lo and behold, I find six items that did not scan (because they were stacked on top of other items). I scan them and go back to what I was doing. In most cases of this, the person knows they were caught and quietly pays up. Not this time. SC pays up, and...

SC: "Are yall watching these other round here? Watch these other !"
    Me: *I'm 'watching you' because you decided to try and steal in my sightline* "I pay attention to everything up here, it's my job."
    SC: *getting in my face, or she tries to* "You just watching me cuz I'm black! I see you cuz I'm black!"

SC stands in line at the desk, but it's too busy up there so she circles back to me.
    SC: "Yall fix what you did!"

Unfortunately D (our linebacker CDH) isn't working. All he has to do is show up and "no, no problem here sir" Thankfully, a rational customer needs help so I can escape. After I finish, SC sees me and tries to hit me with her cart as she's exiting; I saw what she was up to and did not try to cross the exit path. SC doesn't find this acceptable.

SC: "YA RACIST !" *storms out*

GM comes down immediately and asks what happened; I tell him what I saw (stacking multiple items and only scanning one; this is a known problem) and that I ensured everything was scanned and only after SC paid did she get shouty. [if I had in fact overscanned an item--which does happen due to people holding items before sending them down--I will catch and void it immediately]

GM: "You did what you're supposed to do."

Later last night, CDH asks me what happened; I reiterate what I told GM (with the addition of SCs fireworks).
    CDH then says something that I'm not really expecting. In addition to the usual "don't get into a physical confrontation" (I had no idea SC was going to blow up!)" I'm told to just let them shoplift because we don't have security... This is why the store can't have nice things, because our shrink percentage is probably insane and even moreso not only with the holidays but Covid as well.

When I was there previously, we did have a PA code to summon a manager to whatever register...we don't now.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-26-2020, 02:26 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Just let them shoplift? What idiot advice is this? Word will quickly get around that your store is a great place for the five finger discount and you shinkage will just increase.

Comment

Oh, that word got around a long time ago. It subsided a bit when I was working SCO previously, because everyone from the SM on down gave a shit and we had a plan. We all know that any shrinkage ultimately falls on us poor schlubs, I don't like being blamed for shit I had no power over so if I can head something off I will (99% of the time they quietly realize I'm onto them and decide to pay).

Mom suggested that CDH said this because he doesn't have the balls to do what I did.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 11-24-2020, 03:30 PM.

Comment

"We want you to watch for theft, but don't do anything about it." Yeah, that's some logic.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

And if Corporate/management is so concerned about theft (and knowing the characters we get in) why don't we get security guards? They sent us guards once during my previous stint and I can attest that did help.

Comment

Keep in mind that – with some exceptions, obviously – corporations don't tell you not to interfere with thieves for YOUR safety so much as because they want to avoid liability.

And yes, security guards help. Back at bigpizzafranchise, our downtown store (I did NOT work at that one, thank goodness) had a security guard on duty at night for years, and they sure as hell needed the help. One day, the owner decided that (at his most profitable store by far) this expense was no longer needed. The very first night with no guard, the place got robbed and the safe was cleaned out. $3,500+ taken at gunpoint. And yes, it was an inside job. No surprise there.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can't say someone is stealing until they have bypassed all opportunities to pay, i.e. are at the door. Even if I saw them shove something down their pants. And then I can't follow them outside. This is for my "safety".
              The reality is we will buck you up and take our stuff back. Baltimore city is no place to be passive. You let them know you will F them up.
              I have been called everything including a "Plantation Master".

Comment

Working...
              X