Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's 30 days from now. Lots of time for things to go south.

I wish you all the best, Ghel.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of things could go wrong in the next month. The trailer could be anywhere in the range from sparkly clean (ha ha not likely) to completely trashed with windows broken, dog poo ground into the carpet, etc. I'm going to heavily suggest that we get the trailer inspected for meth production.

I'm hopeful things will go towards the nice side, but we'll prepare for the worse side.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Upper management keeps asking for updates about the Squatter, much as they do about Brandy's loan. BM asked me to look into turning off the utilities, especially after we got a bill from the township for over $500 in past due utilities.

So I called the township today. I learned that the water has already been turned off for over a year. The Squatter has been getting water from the cemetery a block away. They can't turn off the sewer (nor would we want them to if that was an option ). That charge will continue to accrue, and that's what the majority of the $500 bill was for. Electricity is through the electric company, but they said that's been shut off for months, too. The Squatter was running a generator in the garage.

That's ... something. I left the Squatter a voicemail. I was expecting to inform her that the bank was looking into shutting off the utilities, but I guess we don't have that to threaten her with.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Just be glad that the very nature of 'modern' sewer systems don't really allow for putting in shutoff valves. (Really bad things happen with loose bits, or allowing things to hang up in pipes. Valves pretty much are a guarantee for both things to happen)

With the generator... yonder Squatter is paying more to keep that going than paying the electric company. (well, before they got upset about not getting paid, and tacked on fees) Of course, as seen with 'Brandy', the ability to save up money enough to pay bills... 'huh, what?' Meth (and other assorted party chems) does great things for keeping the neurons firing, but sadly, does not actually enhance any coherent thought or ability to plan. The gas for the generator will happen any time there's money in pocket. If something breaks in the generator... Well, she'll come up with some idea.

As with Brandy, I wouldn't place any bets on the legality of where the generator came from.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
            They can't turn off the sewer (nor would we want them to if that was an option ). That charge will continue to accrue, and that's what the majority of the $500 bill was for.
            That sounds weird to me. Sewer charge is usually based on water consumption. No water usage => no sewage charge.
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
              That sounds weird to me. Sewer charge is usually based on water consumption. No water usage => no sewage charge.
              Some utilities have a minimum or a flat fee for sewage.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Mine effectively charges both. They have a "meter fee" just to be hooked up, plus a flat fee for sewage, and then they charge so much per acre-foot of water used. (Holy weird units, Batman!)

I've only any experience with a couple-few places, but I can't think of any that I have even heard of that charge for sewer service by the amount of water used...
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I believe the township has a flat fee for sewer. If it was metered, there would still be a charge, since she's getting water from the cemetery and pouring it (and who knows what else) down the drain.
                  -Mira Furlan

Comment

A bit has happened this week regarding the Squatter. She's supposed to be out on Sunday. BM has been speaking to three different interested parties in buying the place, even though we haven't started advertising it yet. One of them offered $15,000 sight unseen, supposedly as a place for his son to live in. Now that I type that out, it seems a bit suspicious. That fellow was the one who went over to the trailer to check it out, and a man answered the door. Neither was particularly happy.

One of the interested parties owns the business across the street from the trailer. He told BM that the Squatter and/or her friends have stolen license plates off vehicles and ATVs in his lot. He wants to buy the property so he can haul the trailer off the lot and prevent any other deadbeats from moving in.

BM managed to get hold of the Squatter by phone today. She tried to tell him she might need another week to get all of her stuff out of the trailer and clean it out. He said she needed to be out by Sunday, since we have people coming to look at the trailer on Monday who might be buying it. (only a slight fib) She then tried to get until Wednesday. He again rebuffed her. He mentioned the man who answered the door. She waffled a bit, saying he was a roommate. BM told her he needs to be out by Sunday, too. He told her how nice the bank is being, since we already gave her all this time and even paid the $500 utility bill for her. We're not even going after her for that, he said, we just want her out.

We'll see if she drops off the keys on Monday. Seems increasingly unlikely.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                      BM managed to get hold of the Squatter by phone today. She tried to tell him she might need another week to get all of her stuff out of the trailer and clean it out.
                      I am SO shocked! Whoever would have seen this coming?

What are the options on Monday, cause I'm pretty sure she's not going to be gone tomorrow night.

My vote is for the property to be sold to the business owner across the street. I am quite sure that trailer is trashed, so having someone else willing to pay to have it hauled away is a bonus for the bank.

Comment

No contact from the Squatter.

We're going to accept bids this week for the trailer. It'll be sold "as-is" and with the understanding that the squatter(s) will be a problem for the new owner to deal with, if they're still there. I don't know if that will fly, but we're going to try.
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                          I've only any experience with a couple-few places, but I can't think of any that I have even heard of that charge for sewer service by the amount of water used...
                          Here in Virginia Beach, Virginia the water and sewer are two separate bills, with the water being the city department of public utilities and the sewer being from a regional agency (the Hampton Roads Sanitation District).
                          The sewer bill is based on the water bill.

If you believe that you use far more water than you put down the drain, you can have a meter installed (at your expense) and only be billed for what actually flows out.
                          (I worked in a pizzeria/sub shop where we made our own dough for the pizzas and bread, so a large percentage of the water that came out of the taps didn't go down the drain. The sewer billing rate is so low that it would have taken years to save enough to pay for the meter. Currently, the residential rate is $5.86 per 100 cubic feet, or $0.30 per day, whichever is more.)

Comment

When I lived in Florida a lot of people watered their lawns. Some people would get a separate metered water service for lawn watering since the water didn't go down the sewer.

Others would put in a shallow well pump for lawn watering.

Those that had septic systems didn't worry about it.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I drove past the trailer after dark last night. There was an SUV parked in the driveway and the lights were on inside. I didn't stop, since I was by myself after dark and I have no idea who the (new?) squatter is.

BM is out this week, so I let Ted know. Based on this info, they decided to put the bids on hold until BM gets back. Then they'll probably have the sheriff accompany him to let the occupant know that they're not welcome. If they refuse to leave, we'll probably have to go to court to evict. And we're getting into wintertime again, so cold weather rules may apply.

Every time we think we might be nearing the end of this saga, the timeframe gets extended. It's frustrating.
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Don't ever stop there again. It doesn't matter if its day or night, if you are alone or with the Marines, don't do it. If you do have Marines, stay out of their way.

Seriously, don't knock on that door ever again. Flimsy as it probably is, bullets will fly through it without hesitation. We loves you and don't want you to get hurt or die.

Comment

Working...
                                X