Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that's normally what is done when the cake is fake, or one layer is real for cutting.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

OK...as promised...the one I did today, although I'm not exactly thrilled with it. (I've done better.) It was so hot and the icing was melting a bit.
      (I shrank the picture so all the flaws don't show. )
      Attached Files

Comment

I :heart: Spongebob and chocolate so IMO it's very nice.
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

How do you do something like that? Do you actually draw the image on with icing?

I can't draw with pencil.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I need to talk to you about roses, Ree.

I'm making a very complex princess cake for DD's 5th birthday party next weekend, and I have to make something like 6 big roses with leaves to put around the cake - it's a castle.

Any words of wisdom on rose making? I know you've been doing this for awhile, so I'm interested in any advice. I have the nail thingy and an instruction book from Wilton. but I've never actually MADE any flowers or roses before.

I may be making a lot of icing faux pas this weekend trying to practice.
            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
            --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Advice on the roses?

Well, I use the flower nail, and a rose tip with the icing bag.
              How big do you need the roses? The #104 tip makes a nice sized rose, but if you need larger, #127 is probably the biggest, but you have to use the large size coupler, or the #127D can just be used with a parchment or uncut bag and no coupler.

Sometimes, watching it being done is better than just trying to follow pictures.
              Here's an actual video showing the technique. http://www.wilton.com/decorating/bas...e_video_56.cfm

I don't start with that icing base that they show you, because I am usually in a hurry and don't have time to fill two different bags of icing, or change tips between steps.
              I just use the rose tip, and make a closed loop of icing to start, and I build on it with the petals. (If you want me to make a quick little movie of me making a rose, I will get someone to film it for me.)
              Last edited by Ree; 08-04-2007, 03:47 AM.

Comment

REE DON'T BE MODEST!

That is a work of art......absolutely beautiful!

Please say you will make a trip to Wisconsin this January for my birthday, or you'll teach my mother how to make such beautiful cakes........
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

THANK you for the link to the video! That makes it crystal clear and I think I can do this now. I only hope the cake comes out as good as the ones you make.

Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed..
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
                  --attributed to Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow, Ree. You really have talent! Your cakes are beautiful!
                    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Hey!! Wow can't believe I found cakes here. For all things cake - recipes, instructions, articles, tutorials, and AMAZING cake pictures, visit www.cakecentral.com . You wouldn't believe what some people can do with cake!!!!! It's mind-blowing what some people do. Mine are okay, I'm pretty proud of them, but I didn't want to hijack your thread.... nice wedding cake by the way.

Oh for the person that asked about roses - definitely go here to cakecentral.... or if you've taken the wilton classes, instead of making a base out of icing - use a hershey kiss - sooooo much easier - and you have a chocolatey surprise in the middle of your rose!

Another way to make roses - try to make "chocolate" roses using tootsie rolls.... you should be able to find instructions online - can't find the site right now b/c i gotta get back to work - but look for "chocolate rose instructions" or "tootsie roll rose instructions" - you can make roses out of the flavored tootsie rolls too - so strawberry for pink roses, vanilla for white, etc.

By teh way - just came back from an International cake decorating convention - AWESOME!!! www.ices.org is the site for more info.

Comment

I'm on cakecentral.com

It's a great site.

I've seen that Hershey's Kiss tip before. It's a great idea.

Chocolate Roses

10 ounces chocolate (coarsely chopped chunks or chips)
                        1/3 cup light corn syrup

In a shallow bowl, melt the chocolate in microwave for 2 minutes; stir. NOTE: Be careful so that the temperature does not exceed 100 degrees F. If chocolate is not completely melted, return to microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir until smooth.
                        Add corn syrup to the chocolate and mix well (scrape all the corn syrup into the chocolate with a rubber spatula). Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold mixture, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl well, until no shiny syrup is visible and the mixture forms a thick ball. Pour mixture onto a waxed paper sheet and spread with the spatula until it's about 1/2-inch thick; let it sit and stiffen, uncovered, for about 2 hours. Use at once or store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.

Making Chocolate Roses:

Knead a handful of clay at a time on a work surface until it is soft and pliable like Play-Doh.
                        Roll dough into (12) twelve 1/2-inch diameter balls of clay. Place the balls on waxed paper or plastic wrap about 1-inch apart. Using your fingers, press in the center and then on either side, flattening the disk into 1-inch flat disks about the size of a quarter (leave the top edge thin than and bottom edge. Repeat with the remaining disks.
                        Remove one disk and curl it into a "teepee" shape, narrow at the top and wider at the bottom, (this will be the center of the rose. Wrap the next disk around the opening of the teepee and the third disk at the back of the teepee - this is the rose bud. Continue adding disks which will look like petals. Continue adding petals, placing them in between slightly lower than previous row. For a fuller flower, continue adding petals in this manner. As you form petals, you gently roll or curl the right edge of the petal downward. Pinch off any excess chocolate clay at the base of the rose to make more balls.

Create leaves by cutting-out leaf shapes with a knife. Cover them with plastic wrap and taper the edges with your finger. Using the back of a paring knife, gently score the top of each leaf to create veins. Curl leaves into natural looking shapes.

NOTE: If the clay balls or petals become too soft from your body heat, let sit at room temperature for at least 10 minutes. To periodically cool your hands, grasp a cold glass.
                        Roses will harden after a few days and can be saved by storing in a cool, dry place.
                        NOTE: To make larger roses, make larger chocolate clay balls.

Tootsie Roll Roses

Here's the how-to:

1) Start by breaking a tootsie roll into 5-6 pieces.
                        2) Flatten the bits into oval or tear-drop shapes.
                        3) Roll one oval between your fingers to become the flower center.
                        4) Place the "petals" around the center.
                        Last edited by Ree; 08-07-2007, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Those chocolate roses look really yummy.... *drools*

And they're pretty, too!
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I did a cake a while ago for my nephew's wedding. I used these roses that glow when put in water. We sell them at the store, and when I saw them, I was dying to figure out a way to use them on a cake.

I sent the company a picture of the cake I did. I said I thought they might be interested in a unique way that their product had been used.
                            It's still posted on their website, even though they've redesigned the site a couple of times. http://www.baskpac.com/sensations.html

They never asked me for permission to use it. At the time, I considered writing them and asking them for a fee to use my picture, or else having them remove the picture.
                            I'm torn.
                            On the one hand, I'm flattered, but on the other, it's a bit like using someone's artwork without permission.
                            Or...did I unknowingly give them permission by sending them the picture in the first place?

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                              Or...did I unknowingly give them permission by sending them the picture in the first place?
                              When you sent in the picture they probably either assumed a)you were giving them permission to use it or b)you don't know enough about copyright law to do anything about it.

It is YOUR picture and YOUR cake and they have to do what you want. If you want them to take it down write a cease and desist letter (pm for a template).

What I would recommend is you seem as if your not sure that you want them to take it down. Maybe if you wrote them and asked for it to mention your name/give you credit.

The main the is you own the copywrites to the cake and the picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X