This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princess cake

I wanted to post a pic of my daughter's birthday cake - I made this and thank you very much to Ree for her help on the roses, which took a LOT of practice!

Of course it was gone in less than 10 minutes, but I think it came out great.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.
    --attributed to Albert Einstein

Awesome cake, I'm jealous!
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Making icing roses and basket weave piping are my favorite things to do.

But for the life of me, I can't get the goddamned 'conch' trim or the god forsaken leaf.

Leave it to me to get the hard stuff without issues and get stumped on the easy shit.

"What's the square root of Square root of 81 multiplied by 2 and then divided by three, Demise AND DONT USE A CALCULATOR!"

"SIX!"

"Two plus two?"

"....22?"

"WRONG!"
      "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Wow!
        That looks like a doll house- I would never have known it was a cake!

Awesome!
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

THat is in-freaking-credible. Makes me wish I was 6 again...*sigh*
          Your little girl must've been sooooo impressed!
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth MamaMootz View Post
            I wanted to post a pic of my daughter's birthday cake
            Wow! I'm not a little or a girl and I think that's awesome. Of course, thanks to my wife's addiction to The Food Network, the second thing I thought of was "Is she going to be able to move that over to the judging table ok?"

Of course it was gone in less than 10 minutes, but I think it came out great.
            For some reason (well, 'cause I'm half asleep...) I read that as "it took less than 10 minutes" before common sense intervened. I was super impressed with you for a second or two though!

(P.S. - demise: If you reread this thread, you have an extra "square root of" in your math expression.)

Comment

It's actually a set of 2 large square cakes with four rectangular cakes on top. I frosted all of them and did the roses, the bushes, and the door. The rest of it came in a kit I bought on E-bay for $20 (the princesses, the picture frame, and the castle turrets).

sms001, you had me cracking up - yeah, I know all about the food network and moving the cake to the judge's table - and I WISH it only took me 10 minutes to do the cake. More like 4 hours.

Angeiic, I can get the roses and the leaves, but I have trouble with the weave. Go figure.

I'm going to start culinary school in January because I want to open a bakery here. Wish me luck. Maybe they can help me refine that weave technique, who knows?
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not even sure about the universe.

Comment

That is gorgeous!

Yeah, the weave is tricky to get on to so it doesn't look sloppy. Do you have the special tip for it?
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'm going to start culinary school in January because I want to open a bakery here.
                  Wow! That's going to be a fantastic endeavor. If you can make beautiful cakes like that without culinary school, imagine how brilliant you'll be after school!

Best of luck, we're all rooting for you.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

No doubt. We'll be seeing you on that Food Network cake making competition!
                    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
                    HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth AnqeiicDemise View Post
                      "What's the square root of Square root of 81 multiplied by 2 and then divided by three, Demise AND DONT USE A CALCULATOR!"

"SIX!"
                      Er, no...
                      Square root of 81=9.
                      Square root of 9=3
                      3 multiplied by 2=6
                      Divided by 3=2.
                      Unless, of course, there was some bizarre-o orders of operation involved in the equation (such as parentheses, mostly)
                      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Um, square root of 81 is 9. Multiply by two for 18. Divide by three for 6. Did I miss something there?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          Um, square root of 81 is 9. Multiply by two for 18. Divide by three for 6. Did I miss something there?

Rapscallion
                          I think it's because in the original post, angeiic said "the square root of the square root of 81".

Comment

And thank you everyone, for the nice words on the cake. I hope I can do more fancy things like wedding cakes after culinary school. What would be most awesome would be doing cakes like that Ace of Cakes guy on Foodtv.

and Ree, I don't think I have the proper tip for the weave which is probably part of the problem. The only people I make cakes for right now is the family, and most of them are back east with the exception of my husband and my daughter.

Comment

I think it's because in the original post, angeiic said "the square root of the square root of 81".
                              D'oh!

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                              X