This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda of a sad update:

As previously mentioned, I managed to catch up on a backlog in a short time.

Problem is, while I managed that, a NEW backlog built up - and due to various circumstances, I wasn't able to catch THAT backlog fast enough.

This made Head Management unhappy, so they ordered Supervisor to hurry the hell up - my permanent job offer is suspended and Supervisor has to assess whether I'm eligible for a permanent hire if I meet some specífic goals at the end of the month. If I don't meet these goals, the permanent hire offer is annulled and I continue as a temp until they find a new guy/girl to replace me. Until then, I continue on temp conditions (=shitty pay).

So right now I'm weighing my options:

I COULD buckle up and make an extra effort ( I had a 50h hours week last week, one day I clocked out after an 14-hours shift, at 1 AM - with only one break) and hope that things will change.

But on the other hand I've been told that there has been a lot of pressure on folks for the last couple of years, stress-related sickleaves have been filed pretty often, and even the co-workers who have been there for a long time are asking questions about how often people either quit or are let go. A lot of alarm bells ringing, if you ask me.

So, what for little me to do?

Pros: I earn money, home work opportunity, chance of permanent hire, nice co-workers.
    Cons: High stress level, uncertainty (while I'm temping I'm on as-will terms), bad cash flow as long as i'm on my temp contract. From what I've experienced it's a BAD thing to take more than one week's vacation at a time.

On top of that, I can handle overtime as long as Management allows it - but the temp company only pays the fixed hour rate, no extra pay for overtime and/or working into late hours.

Mr Zel suggested that I should buckle up and get eligible for permanent hire and THEN look for another job, but I think that would be an inconsiderate thing to do, I'd rather ask to be transferred to another administrative position at the same place.

So, what do you good folks in here recommend? Should I jump ship at once while I have the chance, or should I stick?
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

So, I chose to buckle up, and things are looking a bit better.

I managed to work out a method in balancing the books that eliminates the problems I had with closing last month's records.
      I have also suggested some things to Management about billing that should make it easier for me to file payments in the future. Depends on how the payees are going to handle it, though.

This Monday, I had a backlog of 3 weeks waiting for me. Today, I have 1½ weeks left. Supervisor was VERY impressed with me, so I'm pretty anxious to know what Management will order her to do about me next week.
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Comment

My take... When times are tight, you do what you have to do to get the pay check.

On the other hand, do not be surprised if they are teasing you with the permanent position.

Good luck!
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          My take... When times are tight, you do what you have to do to get the pay check.

On the other hand, do not be surprised if they are teasing you with the permanent position.

Good luck!
          Thanks for the support. My latest bank statement has SERIOUSLY urged me to keep on truckin', eventually look for another job while I'm still employed.

About the "teasing"... I'm not sure about that. Supervisor has told me I can take as much overtime as I want as long as Head Management's requirements are met, I don't think they'd allow that if they were just teasing (remember, I'm hired through a temp agency so even though MY wages are low, Management pays a HUGE fee to the temp agency).

Comment

Another update.

I did very well with the last backlog, still Supe is keeping me in "let's see" mode.

However, during our last talk wherein I expressed that I REALLY wanted some definitive answers re: my employment, this discussion happened:

Supe: Well, we have to assess what we pay opposed to what we get - say, how much does temp agency pay you?
            Me: Well, they pay me <shitty pay>.
            Supe: Oh really? I though they paid you <INSANELY LOWER SHITTIER PAY>

Thats when I went
            Really, they expected me to work my ass off (with average 6 overtime hours every week, and several 11-12 hour shifts including one single 20-hour shift) for a wage that is similar to my unemployment benefit (which is not as high as Oprah believes it to be)?!!

So, I've reached the end of my rope. I don't wanna keep working overtime feeling like I have a noose around my neck.
            If I'm not offered a permanent hire by the end of the week, I'll request them to find someone else - however, I'll be polite enough to stay there and eventually train the new guy/girl on part-time so I can flex out my overtime and don't get shafted re: unemployment benefit.

Luckily for the company, we have a AWESOME guy who right now is temping in our Accounts Payable dept. and is doing a great job. If he can get convinced to shift into a permanent position within Accounts Receivable, I think I can leave the place knowing that everybody - including me, Supe, Head Management, New Temp and Billing - will be happy about it.
            Last edited by NorthernZel; 10-03-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

New update (well, a little one):

I'm still kept in the dark.

Management has chosen to lay off our current Accounts Payable gal which is on sickleave at the moment (she just did undergo surgery, doesn't recover that well and has stated that she probably won't be able to return on full time, so she accepted to get 3 month's paid notice and the company'll pay for an advisor that can help her get a new job once she's fully recovered).

This means that Management will do a recruitment process that involves both Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable. I and New Awesome Temp are already in the candidate pool, but Management would like to check some applications to see whether there should be somebody outthere who are more qualified for the positions. Until then, both I and New Temp are continuing on our temp contracts.

However, I discussed the matter with Supe and mentioned my cash flow problems (with having to pay bills at the beginning of the month while I don't get paid from the temp agency until the middle of the month). She understood my concerns, and would talk with her superiors about it. I did tell her that unless a quick solution was found I'd be forced to begin sending resumes around, and then they had to hope they would either hire me permanently or find a replacement before I found another job or simply quit.

I'm gonna suggest tomorrow that maybe they can pay me directly at the end of the month, and then deduct my pay from the fee to the temp agency (Hell, I'm an accountant, I can calculate my paycheck on a spreadsheet...) . As things are at the moment, they can't just simply cut me loose from my temp contract without paying an extra fee.

(Edit: As of today I have no backlog AT ALL. Way me. )
              Last edited by NorthernZel; 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

So I dare to do another update... (really, I had a thought of someone "failing to see the suck" and get a post deleted in here so I thought twice about posting more in this thread)

Anyhoo, Management's Big Move resolved in this:

Awesome Temp is now permanently hired after two weeks of awesomeness. (No grudge, really, he DOES know how to do what he's supposed to do.)

Me? Well, after 4 months... I'm still on temp contract. Management's still hemming and hawing, I'm trying to pay the bills on time (so is Mr Zel) but fortunately MIL has helped us out with a loan.

Nevertheless I am keeping up with work, Management are still looking for someone better than me (and believe me, they've been looking) so I'll guess I'll stay there for the rest of the year at least.

Comment

Epilogue(?)

I'm FINALLY released from my temp contract and seasonally part-time hired instead (for the moment being until February but possibly longer). My hours may vary, but I am eligible for partial unemployment if I want to apply for it.

Management's still looking for a replacement, I hope they find someone soon so I can do some clean-up in our old files without worrying about the new files being registered.

Still, good news is: I get paid first of the month now, and I've got a smaller raise.

EDIT: Oh, and also I got an invitation for a Xmas event where all employees' kids are invited. Snacks, Santa, the works. When I said that Lil' Zel probably would be happy to attend I was handed a Toys 'R Us catalogue and told "pick a gift for him, we'll pay". Happy happy!
                  Last edited by NorthernZel; 11-30-2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Oh, nice!

Congrats on finally being brought over from the temp contract.

And way cool about the holiday bennies.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

Now things are REALLY weird.

I told already in another thread that I was assigned a Key Account with actually no notice - now I have got the keys to the office, and on top of that Supe rambles something about me getting online banking authority, my own sign on the door, some projects regarding cleaning up files re: the previous 5 years...

Seems like there's a permanent hiring lining up. And yes, Supe is still looking for my side-kick so I don't have to worry too much about overtime. Though I don't think I'll get a side-kick until earliest March 1st.

Comment

And now NZ gets another hat...

Besides filing payments, balancing accounts and Key Account Managing I'm now also a Cash Supervisor as well.

Luckily I don't have duties re: hiring/firing, but I've been told that from now on I'm responsible for supervising and training our cashiers.

If there is a silver lining on this it should be the fact that my contract is to be renegotiated in March... hence my pay rate is also up for renegotiating. Gonna be fun

Comment

Working...
                          X