No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were at the store today; no news when we'll be called back. Per the PPP terms we must be brought back by early next month...I don't know if we'll be "allowed" to reopen unemployment if PPP runs out and we're not back at work.

Saw the warehouse manager and he was desperate to have me back; D3 is driving him batshit. HR guy was running stock and did not seem happy about it. I found five new expired products that should have been pulled a month ago, and the ones I found last week just had new stock shelved in front. That's management's problem now; I'm not saying nothin.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• There's actually a small(er) grocery here where the restockers in certain sections actually can be depended upon NOT to properly rotate stock. Fortunately, I've never encountered anything expired-on-the-shelf as a result, but some have come close.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• I'm now the only person in grocery who not only has the attention to detail that it requires, but gives a shit enough to do it (I'm aware of the consequences). D3's view is that it "wastes time"...yup, the same guy who thinks that a product expiring on April 7 can be left on the shelf until July just to sell it.

Our residential street is being used as a speedway again...

Comment

• Had a woman come through my line today wearing a mask ... pulled below her nose. It didn't even completely cover her mouth.

Stop pretending, lady.
          Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
            Had a woman come through my line today wearing a mask ... pulled below her nose. It didn't even completely cover her mouth.

Stop pretending, lady.
            I hate the "don't bother to cover the nose" people. You may as well not wear a mask at all if you're going to do that. I realize it sucks (and it makes my nose want to run), but it's for a reason.

Comment

• We saw a lot of that yesterday; I did see coworkers telling the offenders that they need to be fully masked, so I'm hoping we are allowed to approach people and don't have to wait for security to see it. Don't tell me stores need to add a graphic to the "masks required for entry" signs to tell people how to wear them (masks seem to have become a bit of a political statement around here which is unfortunate)
              I found that the mask I have actually helps with pollen allergies as well; it's the head-strap design so I can talk without it falling off and designed so if you're wearing it correctly it can't be pulled off the nose without coming off completely.

We have haircuts next week I didn't want a color because my color now is fine and I knew it would be extra hassle (and money that I do not have)....but mom scheduled me for a coloring anyway. Looking at the rules for the salon, this is forcing them to do additional work. Try telling her that...

Comment

• Can't you just tell the salon you don't WANT coloring when you arrive? Just the cut, ma'am!

Comment

• A coloring appointment requires more advance prep; the general rules say to arrive with hair washed but I can't do that if getting a color so they need to prepare/sanitize an additional chair and pay additional staff (if my stylist isn't washing hair). Nothing I can seem to say will convince mom that I really don't need my color done yet (professional dye over a box dye that hasn't faded sufficiently might end up badly, I remember going through that before).

The salon has nearly doubled prices temporarily to make up for the loss of revenue...the cut alone is what I normally pay for a cut and color.

Comment

• I'm seeing all kinds of people without masks which adds to my anxiety when I have to go out. I technically--by address--live in Town A which has lifted the stay home order. I physically live in Town B which is right next to it. That one's status I don't know. I could conceivably be shopping in either and I think I'd see the same number of people without masks. I know they're not effective enough, but I wish people would at least try. Not having your breath spew out at me so quickly is good.

ETA: Town A's cases keep going up in multiples. Not the time to eschew masks or go out partying but they will.

Anyone having insomnia? Three nights now. I'm up until 5:00 am. I have to work Tuesday and I don't know what to do. Took a double dose of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) last night and nothin'. I still have Valium on hand and will try that just for tonight. If I can get up early enough tomorrow I might sleep tomorrow night. Valium knocks me out almost immediately, even if I'm in moderately severe pain, so it should do the trick. I'm literally dizzy within half an hour of taking it. Benadryl used to do that to me.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• The last couple of nights I've been up between 2 and 3 am, usually I'll be in bed by midnight at the latest. I just don't feel like sleeping, not until much later in the morning, but I'm hoping that it's just because I'm sleeping in so much.

Most of my area is slowly opening, with a few places not completely open because of different reasons. It's been one of those weekends where I'm glad all I did was go to work and home. But, hey, the Grocery Store is managing to keep toilet paper in stock for longer than an hour after opening.
                      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

• I found hand sanitizer in the wild! Several dozen 8oz bottles perched on a shelf at Winco just like life was normal. Still had a sign limiting quantity, though, so not 100% back to life as normal yet. I'll feel a lot more normal once Lysol can be readily had again and meat and baking sections don't have large bare areas.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Feeling cautiously optimistic...

The first set of counties went yellow over two weeks ago, and the state haven't had a spike in new cases. In fact, the number continues to drop overall. It fluctuates, but overall it's dropping. We've been under 1000 since May 11, and the we've been just under 500 for the last two days. This is the record low since the numbers started going down. Back in early April, we almost hit 2000. My county has only had new cases in the single digits for the past few days.

More people are out and about since the stay at home order was lifted. I went to get some things from Lowe's this past weekend and it was pretty busy, although I still have yet to have to wait to go into a store because of the number of people. They were allowed to stay open before, but it was definitely busier than it was. Some stores that had been required to close or only allow curbside pickup have reopened, and some of them have chosen not to just yet.

Traffic has definitely picked up, and unfortunately most people seem to have forgotten how to drive. Or maybe I just got used to not seeing so many idiots on the road. Either way, I was definitely cussing a lot more than I've been for awhile, especially when this one jackass with a loud engine passed me on the highway like I was standing still, when I was actually doing 65 or 70.

The supermarket where I shop announced that the food supply is improving, and they're removing the limits on meats. I didn't even notice the limit, since with just two people in the house we really don't buy that much. But hopefully we can go back to doing our shopping after lunch soon instead of early in the morning. I am not a morning person, and I especially hate having to get up early on a Saturday.

It's hard to believe that this thread started out as a post about customers panic-buying during a crisis that supposedly wasn't going to be a big deal. Even I didn't think it would be anything like this. I can't wait until I can go back to doing all the mundane things I took for granted, and when I can unstick this thread.
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• I've seen plenty of people who aren't wearing masks or gloves and not wanting to touch our pinpads to enter phone numbers for the rewards card yet pay with cash. I feel more confident touch a pinpad than touching your cash. I've also noticed how many people walk around with just straight up dirty hands.

We've been getting in hand sanitizer and toilet paper and still have some on the shelf from our last truck on Thursday. Wipes and sprays are non-existent. I just went back yesterday after a week off and it didn't even feel like I took any time off.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• MadMike:

I've also noticed, when I go to Sam's Club to pick up supplies for my restaurant, that it's filling up. They had a ton of TP, and this was at 7pm. In the past, when I went there, they were out.

Also, another sign of hope - Sam's Club had their 90/10 ground beef in the $3 a lb range. I really hope that bodes well for us when I make our food service order tomorrow.

This past Sunday I actually got the chance to do normal things. It started with a drive to a swap meet in Detroit Lakes, then lunch in Fargo. I can't tell you how good eating a hamburger at Cowboy Jack's was. It was amazing. Hanging out with friends, eating good food, and enjoying good beers together was the best medicine for me possible. My mood, and mental health really shot upward that day, and hasn't really fallen off yet. Though crossing back into Minnesota, seeing the sign for the town called Downer, was a bit of a downer.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

• Right now, we've begun Phase 2 as of last Friday at 5 pm.

So far we have the following open:

Restaurants (50% capacity)

Hair and nail salons (with proper PPE and distancing)

Other "nonessential" businesses that aren't considered places for amusement/entertainment (with social distancing and precautions.)

Yet our case numbers have climbed . . .but at the same time we're not being reported as being overwhelmed.

And yet Kitty Corporate wants to wait until NOW to require all associates to wear masks while on the sales floor (begins tomorrow.) Vendor reps as well, so it'll be interesting to see how many customers still come in without coverings.

And we're already seeing July 4th events cancelled this year due to the ongoing situation . . . we're waiting to see if the big convention in Charlotte that's scheduled for August will be held or not.

Believe it or not, I've seen a little bit of TP on the shelves this morning . . . it'll be empty tomorrow though before the truck comes in. Our deliveries are trying to get back to normal . . . we can now order again but we can only add 2 of anything now (I'm trying to get the cigs and front end candy back in stock with what we can get from the warehouse.) Some vendor items are not back in stock, due to production cuts on some "niche" items, so we're taking down those shelf tags (our handhelds will show that these items are no longer in POG) and spreading out on what we do have so our shelves are looking fuller without gaps.

And we had our beer reset a week and a half ago . . . no word on when the wine section will be reset but we have almost all the new items worked in now.

And even better . . . our inventory has been rescheduled for June 18.
                                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                                X