This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donation drive vent

The grocery store I work at is having a donation drive for the local food bank.

According to the Assistant Front-end Manager, every cashier has to ask every customer if they would like to donate.

If any Front-end Manager, supervisor, Assistant Store Manager or the Store Manager does not hear you asking a customer for a donation, you will be pulled off the register you were assigned to and reprimanded.

Seriously?

You will be reprimanded for not asking a customer for a donation?

This is messed up in my opinion.

Not to mention back up the lines so customers can complain how long the lines are and why are there more cashiers and yeah, we know how this story ends. No win situation.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I agree. And it's only going to get worse as the customers behind each one you ask only get annoyed and irritable when you ask them. It sucks but all you can really do is suck it up and make sure you ask every single person. Even if you think you already asked them before, ask them again.

If they give you a hard time, just keep a smile on your face until you get to the break room or until you can come back here to vent.

Oh and prepare for the pantheon of management you just mentioned to hound you every second of the day. Because even though you ask every singe person, they're going to ask you, "Did you ask everyone? Are you asking everyone? Did you ask everyone?"

Tread water. You'll get through this.
      Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Don't forget about the customers raising hell about being asked *at all*, or the ones who are complaining about the very idea of donating...>_>
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
          The grocery store I work at is having a donation drive for the local food bank.
          Wait, you're being told to ask people who have already finished their shopping if they want to give food to the food bank? I'd be like, I only bought enough food for me...

This is why normally there are big barrels by the doors so you see them before you shop, and maybe pick up an extra can of tuna or something. Anyways, I hope most people are like me and just let the cashier finish their spiel say "no thanks" and we all go on with our day.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

The grocery store where I shop is doing this also. I get clerks have no choice so any irritation is directed to management in e-mails. I did get irritated with one employee who kept up after my first no
            1. I donate $100 a month directly to the food bank so they can buy perishables and things in great need. They can also get more per buck than I can.

2. I volunteer at the Food Bank once a quarter with a secular group I'm a member of.

3. I volunteered the first Saturday they had volunteers after Harvey. Getting there is high stress for me because the food bank is down a freeway that scares the hell out of me, but I still get there regularly.

4. I have an emergency box for hurricanes, annual 100 year floods, and freak ice storms in the Subtropics. Every month I donate the still well within their use dates (by years) canned food and buy new supplies. That way I'm not wasting food. Granted 4 times this year (spring flood, hurricane, and 2 ice storms this year I had to use the food.

I don't need people guilting me about hungry children in Texas. I taught in a Title I school and provided a 2nd breakfast to kids that I knew had not eaten supper and were still hungry after their school breakfast. I was breaking the rules but no kid in my classroom is going to be hungry if I can help it.

Comment

Quoth kaherbert View Post
              1. I donate $100 a month directly to the food bank so they can buy perishables and things in great need. They can also get more per buck than I can.
              THIS. This is how you do it. Transporting food can be hella expensive, even with the discounts charities (hopefully) get. I have heard many such places begging people to send money instead of food whenever possible. Also -- unlike you -- the amount of out-of-date or otherwise simply BAD food they get in as donations is staggering. Plus, ya know, the assholes who use the donation cans as trash cans, thus contaminating the entire can, mandating that it be thrown out.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Plus, ya know, the assholes who use the donation cans as trash cans, thus contaminating the entire can, mandating that it be thrown out.
                Wait, what?? They don't do this if the donations are canned goods, do they? That would make no sense! I've seen where idiots sometimes throw empty coffee cups and snack bags, and sometimes worse stuff, into donation bins, but "contamination" isn't going to get through steel cans.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Canned goods usually have paper/plastic labels though. So if it was a charity that gives the cans to people to take home, I can understand how there could be issues.

If it is a charity that provides cooked meals for people, then there shouldn't be an issue. Remove the damaged label and add a sticker to the can with the main details, like brand and food type, and add it to the 'pantry' for the next time it can be used.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    Wait, you're being told to ask people who have already finished their shopping if they want to give food to the food bank? I'd be like, I only bought enough food for me...

This is why normally there are big barrels by the doors so you see them before you shop, and maybe pick up an extra can of tuna or something. Anyways, I hope most people are like me and just let the cashier finish their spiel say "no thanks" and we all go on with our day.
                    We are asking for cash donations.

The customer can either pay with their debit/credit card or with cash.

Comment

MoonCat -- Good question. I have often heard that charity shops have to throw away things like clothing if this happens, simply because their cleaning ability ends at "the breakroom sink." Keep in mind that "garbage" can easily include things far worse than simple trash (e.g. dirty diapers, doggie-doo bags etc). Even with cans, if that stuff COULD have been in contact with the cans, out they go. No way to sanitize them. To the best of my knowledge, they cite health code rules as the reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X