This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, precisely.

TL;DR (shudder) version : If you are currently using a legitimate, registered version of Windows 7 SP1, 8, or 8.1, you are entitled to a free copy of Windows 10 upon release. Period.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
      I have the dumb, I cannot brain. Let me see if I have this straight...

I have a computer with a legitimate version of Windows 7 (it must be, it came with the computer that I bought from a real store). I have the Windows 10 icon in the bottom right corner of my screen. This means I can download the upgrade to Windows 10 now and install it later? For free?
      Eh, sort of. It's a similar setup as to what's being done with the "play at launch" digital pre-order games. When the release build is pushed, your computer will connect and download it. It will stay in stasis until the July 29th launch at which point a code will be sent to unlock it. At that point you have the option to run the installer, wait to run it later, or burn it to a disk.

As for the price, yes, it's free. What cost is going to be incurred later on (because there always is) is unknown.

Quoth EricKei View Post
      TL;DR (shudder) version : If you are currently using a legitimate, registered version of Windows 7 SP1, 8, or 8.1, you are entitled to a free copy of Windows 10 upon release. Period.
      Only 7 with Service Pack 1 and 8.1 are eligible. 8.0 requires users need to update to 8.1.
      Last edited by lordlundar; 06-24-2015, 01:55 PM.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

LL - Ahh. So, in other words, someone still on 8 would do well to do the free update to 8.1, then?
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

If they want the free upgrade to Win 10 then it's required.

I mean personally I can't imagine why someone wouldn't to begin with because the 8.1 is a considerable improvement. But then, I'm strange in wanting a more viable rig.

I do want to add with what I said about the app though. It seems that post install updates (for both Win7 and Win8) seem to be having the issues. An install of a Win7 SP1 or 8.1 from a factory disk works fine, but updating to Win7 SP1 or 8.1 from an earlier version won't trigger that app automatically.
          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I can definitely confirm the former. I built a new rig less than a month ago and installed an OEM of 7 SP1. I got the "reserver your copy of w10" doohickey a day or two after completing all of the updates (aside from -- of course -- that one stubborn update that refuses to install no matter what).

Comment

So a bit of an update. After talking to a staff member at the Microsoft store in the nearby mall (so take anything said with a grain of salt)sort of cleared up some issues.

Bad news first: accepting the Get Win10 offer does an immediate install when it goes live if you reserve and an immediate download and install afterwards. No direct burning to a disk and installing at your own discretion until AFTER the initial install happens.

Good news: the old version's CD-Key is still usable so you can go back to the previous version if you don't like it provided you have a disk.

Now as I said, this came from a staff member at the store and she seemed to be uncertain when I talked to her. Take what I told you with a grain of salt but if you want to wait a bit before installing or want to do it on your own terms, cancel your reservation.
              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Waiting is indeed my plan. I'll do that. Thanks!

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                  So a bit of an update. After talking to a staff member at the Microsoft store in the nearby mall (so take anything said with a grain of salt)sort of cleared up some issues.

Bad news first: accepting the Get Win10 offer does an immediate install when it goes live if you reserve and an immediate download and install afterwards. No direct burning to a disk and installing at your own discretion until AFTER the initial install happens.

Good news: the old version's CD-Key is still usable so you can go back to the previous version if you don't like it provided you have a disk.

Now as I said, this came from a staff member at the store and she seemed to be uncertain when I talked to her. Take what I told you with a grain of salt but if you want to wait a bit before installing or want to do it on your own terms, cancel your reservation.
                  I could have a bit of a problem if I need to roll back, since my Windows 8 came with the laptop. I do have a recovery "disk" (HP actually insisted that I use a USB drive for that).
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Windows 10 users will not be able to decide which updates to install. http://techpp.com/2015/06/03/windows-10-update/

Whatever kind of updates MS wants to push on you, you're forced to accept. Given Microsoft's tendency for screwing up updates, and sneaking in crap in them (such as the Win 7 update that serves as adware for Win 10, trying to install Silverlight), this is pretty onerous.

I'll probably be sticking with 8 for the foreseeable future because of this.
                    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Just FYI - The lack of choice applies to Home users, not to Pro or higher. If you have Pro 7/8, you'll get Pro 10. Still annoying, though part of me sees why they're doing it -- basically to account for the people who don't EVER update. If they do this in BOTH the paid and free editions of Home...yeah, that would piss me off. On the free one....eh.

Comment

Wunnerful, wunnerful. You're watching Netflix, playing DJ for your buddies by the pool, whatever ... and your system shits down because MS sez "Update, reboot & permanent BSOD" RITE NAOW!
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

They want to use win 10 home users as guinea pigs. Windows Blog.

"By putting devices on the Current branch for Business, enterprises will be able to receive feature updates after their quality and application compatibility has been assessed in the consumer market, while continuing to receive security updates on a regular basis. "

Unless they give us control of updating I won't be upgrading to Win 10.
                          Last edited by dbuzman; 06-30-2015, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Wunnerful, wunnerful. You're watching Netflix, playing DJ for your buddies by the pool, whatever ... and your system shits down because MS sez "Update, reboot & permanent BSOD" RITE NAOW!
                            Actually they give a few days (sometimes almost a week) and then a page comes up 15 minutes before the automatic restart. I know because I have my laptop set to them because my 16 year old is good at downloading viruses but claims he doesn't trust microsoft. I was notified that the updates were downloaded and that an automatic restart would be in 1 day (5 days ago) we didn't do it so tonight when I came home from work I got a full screen message that the automatic restart would be in 15 minutes with a countdown. I clicked restart.

Comment

Related to what dbuzman mentioned: http://gizmodo.com/okay-so-maybe-you...9th-1715532559

It seems that they will be releasing it to Insiders/beta testers on or about the 29th, then to everyone else gradually, in batches. In theory, they'll be taking in data and bug reports in order to do a few weeks' worth of very frequent patches. This is a good thing, as conventional wisdom has it that it could use a little more time in the oven before it's fully-baked. On other words, a perfectly normal OS release (Windows or otherwise)

Comment

So in other words, they're really doing release candidates.

Comment

Working...
                                X